The Civilization 5 addon Gods and Kings adds 27 new units to the game and changes the combat system. Here are the details:
- All unit values were completely revised.
- More early (WW1) aircrafts.
- Naval units have been split into two types: Naval melee and naval ranged units. (Ed Beach)
- Melee ships can pillage or capture cities. (Ed Beach)
- Embarked units now have Defensive Embarkation.
- Embarked land units can be stacked with naval units. (Ed Beach)
- Units have now 100 hitpoints instead of 10, so that the combat system can be better fine tuned. (Ed Beach)
- The damage a unit makes has been increased from 4-8 to 24-36.
- So far 2 units could destroy a unit of equal strength, now 3.5 units are needed to destroy a unit of equal strength.
- This makes it more difficult to defeat cities and units.
- Catapults for instance can now survive a melee attack.
- The AI (artificial inteligence) can compose its armies better.
- The AI can plan and execute sea invasions within 10 turns instead of 50-60 turns.
- Completed the Archer upgrade path: Archer -> Composite Archer -> Gatling Gunner -> Machine Gunner (added) (Ed Beach)
- After a promotion a unit's health is only restored up to 50%.
- No penalty in combat on plains.
Gods and Kings adds 27 units to Civilization 5. Gods and Kings splits the infantry unit into WWI and and WWII infantry. 12 of the 27 units are unique units (UUs). This means they can only be built by one specific civilization.
|African Forest Elephant||Horseback Riding||14||-||67||3||-||?||Mounted||Carthaginian UU, +Great General points, causes fear|
|Battering Ram||Bronze Working||10||-||50||2||-||?||Siege||Hun UU|
|Cataphract||Horseback Riding||15||-||75||3||-||Horses||Mounted||Byzantine UU|
|Great Prophet||-||2000||-||-||2||-||-||Civilian||Founds Religion, Spreads Religion, Builds Holy Site|
|Horse Archer||?||6||8||37||4||2||Horses?||Mounted||Hun UU|
|Mehal Safari||Gunpowder||34||-||?||2||-||?||Gunpowder||Ethiopian UU|
|Pictish Warrior||Bronze Working||11||-||?||2||-||?||Melee||Celtic UU, gains Faith per kill, free pillage, combat bonus outside borders|
|Sea Beggar||Navigation||?||?||?||?||?||?||Naval||Dutch UU|
|Archer||5 Strength, 7 Ranged Strength, 0% against Cities||4 Strength, 6 Ranged Strength, -25% against Cities|
|Battleship||55 Strength, 70 Ranged Strength, 6 Movement||50 Strength, 32 Ranged Strength, 4 Movement|
|Catapult||7 Strength, 8 Ranged Strength, 200% against Cities, does not need iron||5 Strength, 11 Ranged Strength, 50% against Cities, needs iron|
|Destroyer||55 Strength, 7 Movement||35 Strength, 22 Ranged Strength, 8 Movement|
|Great General||+15% combat bonus to nearby units||+25% combat bonus to nearby units|
|Great War Infantry||50 Strength, has been split into WWI and WWII versions||36 Strength|
|Fighter||45 Ranged Strength||40 Ranged Strength|
|Horseman||12 Strength||10 Strength|
|Scout||5 Strength||4 Strength|
|Spearman||10 Strength||7 Strength|
|Swordsman||14 Strength||11 Strength|
|Trireme||10 Strength, 0 Ranged Strength||0 Strength, 6 Ranged Strength|
|Warrior||8 Strength||6 Strength|
New Unit Promotions
So far we know that Civilization 5: Gods and Kings add two new unit promotions:
|Boarding Party I||+15% melee combat strength against naval units|
|Unknown Promotion I||Promotion for naval melee units|