Most Ridiculous Olympic Event?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
    No event where there's a source of power other than the athlete's body should be considered a sport.
    Archery?

Comment

Unless there's a motorised bowstring, archery doesn't fail on that count.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Riflery?

Comment

Shooting events fail, yes.

So do downhill skiing events.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I think we should have the human-powered flying event. Shortest time over 1 km.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

No event where there's a source of power other than the athlete's body should be considered a sport.

What about tennis? Even if you don't swing, the ball may hit the racket and bounce over the net. The source of power being those strings.

And, of course, luge and bobsled would not be considered a sport by you then?
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

You mean you'd can all olymic events where competitors are propelled by gravity. That's surreal.
                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

What about tennis? Even if you don't swing, the ball may hit the racket and bounce over the net. The source of power being those strings
                  The source of power is you. Unless you have a battery powered racket you get out what you put in. Conservation of energy.

And yes, bobsled and luge would have to go.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

anything where strength not skill completely defines the competition

like weight lifting

Jon Miller
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse

You have to maneuver yourself. Downhill skiing recquires a significant degree of athleticism.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boshko

You mean you'd can all olymic events where competitors are propelled by gravity. That's surreal.
                        I would. If there was enough protest I would add a codicil about gravity being an exempted source of energy, but I'd prefer to keep everything completely human powered.

Another rule is that any sport based on judges would be banned.

This gets rid of all the gymnastics and figure skating events, but not wrestling or boxing, IMO.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

You have to maneuver yourself. Downhill skiing recquires a significant degree of athleticism.
                          No doubt. But they still fail the entrance requirements for my Olympics.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Yes, In YOUR opinion. Boxing is a majority of the time based on judges. Knockouts aren't an every fight occurance.

The source of power is you. Unless you have a battery powered racket you get out what you put in. Conservation of energy.

Not if you don't swing and the ball hits your racket and bounces back.

You have a ridiculous notion of what should be a 'sport'.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• His is generally good, but fails on some accounts.

I'd definately keep riflery, because the olympic sports are supposed to be martial.

Comment

• Same here Ben. I wonder if you put these people on a horse. I'd imagine they'd sing a different tune, even if it was just a 1 hour trail ride.
                                Very true.

Yep, so give it to the animal who is in charge, ie, the rider.
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X