No announcement yet.

Most Ridiculous Olympic Event?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And gymnastics is practiced more than competed in.

Practice is simply gearing up for a competition in gymnastics. It is done for competition.

A good (professional) player will engage in at least a few competitions a year.

And a good professional player will most likely play with a philharmonic many more times a year and it won't be to prepare for his few competitions.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      Try playing for an hour straight and tell me how your hands feel.

But is it 'A' physical activity? It is mostly physical?
      Yes. Feeling might count for 25%. Technique is your bread and butter. I am a very respectable player (could easily have gone on to play one of the backbench violins in an orchestra). Compared to me, however, a world-class concertmaster can do every single thing better than I can. His notes will be perfect. Mine will be slightly off (good enough for an untrained ear not to hear, though). His bowing will make his notes sharper and cleaner than mine ever will. The difference is between night and day. Artistry is icing on the cake.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• It's a fiddle damn it
        Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

• There are many people who compete in beer chugging , practice beer chugging and in many places extensive rules govern it. So why isn't beer chugging an olympic sport yet? If they want true amatures than they need to let beer chugging in.
          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

• Ballooning and dart should be added, if at all possible held simultaneously in the same venue, with bright coloured balloons and really big darts.

Comment

• Er, I think you'll find that judging in Gymnastics is a very precise thing, relying on a system of additions (above the base 8.3 difficulty requirement, with additional D, E and Super-E excercises bringing up the base difficulty to a maximum of 10.0) and reductions (Step outside the mat in the floor excercise = 0.1 reduction, etc.) and resulting in very closely matched scores from all the judges. It is considerably less subjective than boxing, for instance.
              Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
              Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

• Originally posted by Sprayber
                There are many people who compete in beer chugging , practice beer chugging and in many places extensive rules govern it. So why isn't beer chugging an olympic sport yet? If they want true amatures than they need to let beer chugging in.
                Damn straight! The bronze goes to the third from last guy to fall over passed out. The silver goes to the second from last guy to fall over passed out. You award the gold when the last real man drinking says he's had enough, or falls over passed out.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Yachting.

Boats go on the water. They sail around for a bit and may (or may not) actually cross a finishing line. Then they all retire to a closed room to which no cameras are admitted to decide who has won according to some sort of Illuminati codes. Or flipping a coin.
                  The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Originally posted by Q Cubed
                    Dodge Ball must be included or the entire games are a sham.

i watch it all the time on the Ocho.
                    He's got the Midas touch.
                    But he touched it too much!
                    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

Hey, with Amanda Beard, Kaitlin Sandeno or Natalie Coughlin, who needs to see how well they swim?
                      My favorite shot of the female swimmers is right after they dive in and do that little underwater wiggle to maximize the dive. Yum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                        fencing would be better if people were actually wounded or killed.
                        But I think rythmic gymnastics and trampoline would improve even more under the same conditions.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
                            Er, I think you'll find that judging in Gymnastics is a very precise thing, relying on a system of additions (above the base 8.3 difficulty requirement, with additional D, E and Super-E excercises bringing up the base difficulty to a maximum of 10.0) and reductions (Step outside the mat in the floor excercise = 0.1 reduction, etc.) and resulting in very closely matched scores from all the judges. It is considerably less subjective than boxing, for instance.
                            Bull****. It's based on how high a bid your country makes in your favour.
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• You're thinking of Figure Skating.
                              Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                              Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

• sailing is my only chance of getting to the Olympics
                                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                                X