No announcement yet.

Most Ridiculous Olympic Event?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only those ignorant about the nature of sports would claim that it is.

See how easy it is to make assertions?

But I'm not ignorant about the nature of sports. I've quoted the definition. So yes, it is easy to make assertions, but I have facts behind mine, unlike you.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Boshko
      So a cross country ski course where the finish line is at a slightly lower elevation than the start wouldn't qualify but one where they are at the same elevation would (ie there'd be a bit of gravity in the first one)? That's just stupid.
      Actually, cross country races at the Olympic level are most definitely mandated to occur over a course with no more than X metres drop. Otherwise world records would be meaningless.

Strike 1
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        Further:

Sport:

Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sport
        Playing the violin is a sport?
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• gymnastics is fairly sportish (in parts)
          Ever try to do an Iron cross?

I have, and it's hard. Gymnastics is definitely a sport, but the problem is how to measure and compare gymnasts.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Gymnastics is very athletic. It is not a sport. There is far too much power to the judges.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• often engaged in competitively.
              How do you compete with Violins?
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• I've been in a violin competition before, Ben.

You are judged based on your performance and prizes are awarded.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Playing the violin is a sport?

Often engaged in competitively? And I'd hesistate to call it 'physical activity'. More like artistic activity. Physical activity means there is some great physical excertion involved in the event. And violining is governed by a set of rules? So no one is allowed to play it other than the defined rules?

Sorry, try again.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• There is far too much power to the judges.
                    Well, not all routines are the same, and therein lies the problem.

Do you give higher marks for a flawless, yet simple program, or for a faulty, yet extremely difficult program?

Comment

often engaged in competitively

OFTEN? I'd imagine you'd much more play it non-competitively than competitively.

Comment

You are judged based on your performance and prizes are awarded.
                        Well, I haven't.

How do they distinguish the competitors, and under what conditions do they compete?

Comment

Playing the violin is a sport?

Often engaged in competitively?
                          See above. I've been in violin competitions. Most good players have.

And I'd hesistate to call it 'physical activity'. More like artistic activity.

Try playing for an hour straight and tell me how your hands feel. Gymnastics is part artistic as well.

And violining is governed by a set of rules? So no one is allowed to play it other than the defined rules?

Classical violin is not played according to rules? I must have wasted 11 years of my life learning where all the notes were, how to bow properly, how to read music, how to put proper expression in the proper place etc.

Sorry, try again.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Well, I haven't.

How do they distinguish the competitors, and under what conditions do they compete?
                            How many years did you play?

I competed in the under 16 montreal area competition and came 1st at least once, IIRC (when 14). My memory is fuzzy though. Might only have gotten 2nd. Started when I was 5. 1 hour a day for 11 years.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Try playing for an hour straight and tell me how your hands feel.

But is it 'A' physical activity? It is mostly physical?

Gymnastics is part artistic as well.

But mostly physical.

Classical violin is not played according to rules? I must have wasted 11 years of my life learning where all the notes were, how to bow properly, how to read music, how to put proper expression in the proper place etc.

So you can't do away from it? You can't create new styles which do not follow the stated rules? Does every style have to wait until the governing body say it is ok to do it? I'm sorry, I guess violinists are still back in the 11th century and haven't moved since then.

Sorry, try again.

Comment

I've been in a violin competition before, Ben.

often engaged in competitively

OFTEN? I'd imagine you'd much more play it non-competitively than competitively.
                                And gymnastics is practiced more than competed in.

A good (professional) player will engage in at least a few competitions a year.
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X