No announcement yet.

Most Ridiculous Olympic Event?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, Poker is lobbying real hard to become an Olympic sport, its probably just as qualified as some of the other lame stuff they've let in.

We need internet forum events!

"Spam Relay"
    "Unsubstantiated Trolling"

Comment

chess also wants in as an olympic sport.
      B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
        chess also wants in as an olympic sport.
        Okay, that's it. Axis & Allies needs to be let in if any boardgame makes it.

And the inevitable: Civ event.

Comment

tug of war was once an event.

so was golf.
          B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
            tug of war was once an event.

so was golf.
            Golf isn't even a sport.

Comment

Badminton's pretty cool. It requires a lot of physical action, and in case you didn't know the shuttle can be fired up till 300km/h, which is much faster than tennis balls for example .

I've played it a bit before and I must say it requires more tactics than tennis (which I regularly played, and still do at times).

The only bad thing about it is that there's no way an average player can beat a really good player. In football (soccer) and most other sports a bad player can beat a better opponent because of tight defense etc. In badminton that's really impossible, so most of the times it's a bit boring because you know the winner already
              "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
              "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Opps, I was getting Badminton and Backgammon confused.

Comment

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                    Seriously though, it has to be those walking competitions...if you want to go fast, run for christ's sake!

As soon as I saw the thread title, I had a flashback to 1996 in Atlanta, actually being on hand for the race walk finals. Every person in our group spent the entire time wondering what the hell the point was.
                    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi

As soon as I saw the thread title, I had a flashback to 1996 in Atlanta, actually being on hand for the race walk finals. Every person in our group spent the entire time wondering what the hell the point was.
                      If you get out earlier enough you can see all the old people training for that in the local malls.

Kind of disturbing to see hundreds of people walking in circles inside the mall.
                      Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

We actually left Dothan (3.5-4 hours from Atlanta by car) at around 12 am CT, so the bus would get us there in time for the 7 am ET start, so there wasn't time to take in the Phipps Plaza training rounds.
                        Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Handball has got to be one of the most fun sports to play.

I think the best recent addition to the Olympics has to be the triathalon. I'm actually amazed that wasn't in before - talk about pure athletic ability with no foo-foo factor.

The worst idea in recent memory was to have ballroom dancing as an Olympic sport. I can't quite recall, but wasn't it supposed to be a demonstration sport in some recent Olympics?
                          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Since this is in Greece, couldn't they introduce endurance column sitting for IOC delegates. On the first day, place 120-something 20 ft. columns in the main stadium, one delegate on each, then when the games are concluded, check back to see who were the actual tough guys.

Spectators would have something to do in between events, "Oh, there goes Burkina Faso.", "No, get the popcorn later, Belgium's near the edge and just about to fall asleep."

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                              I think the best recent addition to the Olympics has to be the triathalon.
                              Hands down. Nothing else is even close.

The following "sports" need to go: sync swimming, sync diving, shooting, table tennis, badminton, race walking.

I'm up in air about archery.
                              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

how about horse dressage. How ridiculous is that!!??
                                "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                                "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Working...
                                X