No announcement yet.

Most Ridiculous Olympic Event?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I'm still waiting impatiently for the addition of the 2,000 m steeplechase for people who think they're chicken.

Or at least the 200 m medley for non-swimmers. And the marathon for incontinent people could be introduced as a trial event to start with.

Come on, it would attract a whole new line of sports fans.

Comment

geriatrics?
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

these four:

synchronized swimming
        rhythmic gymnastics
        ice dancing
        curling
        B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
          these four:

synchronized swimming
          rhythmic gymnastics
          ice dancing
          curling
          They have synchronized diving now to
          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Ice Dancing was great when they had Jane Torvill and Christopher Dean. Must've been in Sarajevo.

*gets out cane to go make a cup of coffee*

Comment

i forgot:
              trampoline

i'm also not impressed by equestrian events, but those have more claim than the four i initially listed, plus trampoline and synch diving.
              B♭3

Comment

Javelin catching

Rhythmic wrestling

Underwater curling

Synchronized stamp collecting

Equestrian gin rummy.
                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Re: Most Ridiculous Olympic Event?

Originally posted by Sprayber
                  What I really want to see is sex apart of the games. Then I’d certainly tune in to see what the world has to offer. I’m sure some here on poly would do very well in the solo events…
                  Phil Foglio did a series of naughty comics called Xenophile. One of the stories in it was about the Sex Olympics. Not my favorite, but kinda funny.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom
                    Javelin catching

Rhythmic wrestling

Underwater curling

Synchronized stamp collecting
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Televise the Olympic Village.:cigar:
                      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I think that the most ridiculous event is the viewing of the olymppics. I was reading in the Wall Street Journal iirc that something like 1,120 hours of olympic footage are being broadcast.
                        People who have no idea what the hell a good breaststroke looks like, are sitting glued to their tv sets.
                        Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                        Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                          Seriously though, it has to be those walking competitions...if you want to go fast, run for christ's sake!
                          "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

I’ve been looking at some of the events of the Olympics and it has left me wondering why they were added. I mean did they wake up one day and decide that they had some time to fill and added Beach volleyball. Is there a professional tour for this? And they not only have baseball but softball to. Is Softball really that popular outside the US? And WTF is handball? Some weird cross between basketball and something else. And don’t get me started on Badminton. I hear China and India are Badminton powerhouse.

Beach Vollyball . And yes there is a profession tour, IIRC.

Softball . And Japan is decent at it as well.

Handball . What a cool sport, which we Amis only get to see during the Olympics. A cross between basketball and soccer.

Badminton . Come on! How can you NOT like watching badminton?

curling

My favorite winter Olympic sport! Curling . It has more strategy than 90% of the sports at the Olympics. Perhaps more.

Which is FREAKING AMAZING! My Lord, that's incredible to watch!
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by bipolarbear
                              I think that the most ridiculous event is the viewing of the olymppics. I was reading in the Wall Street Journal iirc that something like 1,120 hours of olympic footage are being broadcast.
                              People who have no idea what the hell a good breaststroke looks like, are sitting glued to their tv sets.
                              I'm sure at least half of them recognize a good breastroke when they see one

Comment

Stop whining...

They added beach volleyball, softball, and the like so you Americans could get a couple of medals more. No other reason. *ducks behing couch*

Handball: dude, do some reading. This sport is huge. Same with badminton. I undestand the greatest nation sucks at it, but the rest of us like playing it....

Same with basketball

Comment

Working...
                                X