No announcement yet.

Thread for obviously newsworthy stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With a twinkle in his eye (and a floral pattern on his socks), Canada prime minister Justin Trudeau opened the 2018 Fortune Global Forum in Toronto by making a powerful, full-throated case for his country’s economy.

The lowest unemployment rate in 40 years. The fastest growing wages in a decade. The lowest debt-to-GDP ratio among G7 nations. Delivering remarks in French and English, Trudeau offered flurry of statistics in a bid to convince the audience of CEOs before him—including the top executives of Cisco, Johnson & Johnson, and SAP—that his government was worth betting on.

“We’re the only G7 country with a free trade deal with every other G7 country,” he said. “This is Canada’s moment to lead, and we’re making it easy for you to lead with us.”

Is that because the U.S. under President Donald Trump has been, well, less than easy to work with as it pertains to international relations? In conversation with Fortune president Alan Murray, Trudeau was circumspect in his words for his neighbor to the south in the wake of negotiations for the USMCA, as in United States–Mexico–Canada Agreement, the North American trade agreement meant to replace NAFTA.

“The U.S. is going through, as it does from time to time, a bit of a protectionist phase,” Trudeau said, staring off into the distance. “I think what people remember is where we’ll end up…people have different styles in their approach.” The minister added that Canada’s approach was intentionally “constructive,” “thoughtful,” and “patient,” inferring that the U.S. strategy was not.

Whatever the case, “There should be rules in the global economy,” Trudeau said. The world needs trade rules that can be “trusted” and “abided by both countries and investors,” he added. (Including China. “China is the world’s second-largest economy and growing and will remain an important place to do business,” Trudeau said. He downplayed the real geopolitical challenges with China, adding that Canada plans to be “thoughtful” about engaging the nation.)

But what about the tribalism creeping across the globe? Isn’t that a problem for business? Trudeau wasn’t terribly flustered by the prospect. “In three years, Canada was able to close a free trade deal with Europe…and moved forward on saving NAFTA,” making progress at a time “when trade deals aren’t in fashion anymore,” he said. Why? Because Canada understands what’s motivating individual citizens.

“Trade creates growth. But trade in itself won’t do anything to make sure that the benefits of that growth accrue to everyone,” Trudeau said. Lots of people feel those benefits have passed them by. “We are thinking about the shared benefits of trade” and not just what benefits a company or a country, he said.

“We know what happens” each time there’s an industrial revolution, Trudeau said, and most experts believe we’re currently living through the fourth. “There is a transition time when a whole lot of people get disrupted out of their jobs” until new jobs are created, he said. “You can either drag your heels and try to hold out with the current model…or dive into it.”

Trudeau also spent a few minutes discussing other issues. On the subject of diversity, women in the workplace, and the gender makeup of his cabinet (it’s 50-50), Trudeau said: “It’s not just about leadership and showing that it can be done. It’s actually really, really smart to have a more diverse board or cabinet in your organization.” He added: “You’re trying to get people to think outside the box and they don’t even realize they’re in the same box.”

And on the subject of Saudi Arabia and its ongoing crisis with regard to the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who Turkish officials believe was murdered inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, Trudeau said, eliciting some applause: “Canada will always be very firm—and we’ll try to be polite because it’s not just a cliché—about standing up for human rights around the world.”
    Fresh from USMCA negotiations, the Canadian prime minister makes a hard sell to CEOs at the 2018 Fortune Global Forum.

Comment

• urkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says some materials in the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul were painted over. The statement comes after investigators into journalist Jamal Khashoggi's disappearance searched the building.
      Some substances Turkish police were looking for at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul seem to have vanished, Erdogan told reporters on Tuesday. He claimed that “the investigation is looking into many things such as toxic materials and those materials being removed by painting them over.”

Erdogan did not expand on that claim, only adding that “my hope is that we can reach conclusions that will give us a reasonable opinion as soon as possible.”

Previously, a Turkish forensic team spent nine hours looking for clues and DNA samples which could shed light on the mysterious vanishing of Khashoggi, who Ankara believes was assassinated at the diplomatic mission.

Meanwhile, a Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters the investigators are considering extending the search to the residence of the Saudi consul. Local TV channels have broadcast what they said was footage of a vehicle exiting the consulate premises and parking at the residence two hours after Khashoggi disappeared.

Speculation that the Saudis might have destroyed crucial evidence at the site were fueled by footage showing two women and a man bringing cleaning gear through the front door of the consulate. Coincidence or not, the “cleaners” entered the building on the day a joint team of Turkish and Saudi experts were to search the mission.

Ankara has accused Riyadh of murdering Khashoggi and smuggling his body out of the consulate in pieces. Saudi Arabia has denied the charges as “baseless.”

According to CNN, there is a yet-to-be-published Saudi report that will blame Khashoggi’s death on an attempted abduction and botched questioning, “carried out without clearance and transparency.” The unconfirmed report is based on two anonymous sources that reportedly spoke to CNN’s correspondents.

This comes as US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo visits Riyadh. He was urgently sent by President Donald Trump to meet with the Saudi monarch. Trump has threatened the kingdom with “severe punishment” if it is found to be involved in Khashoggi’s disappearance, but he later changed tune and said Saudi King Salman “denies any knowledge of whatever may have happened” to the journalist.

“It sounded to me like maybe these could have been rogue killers. Who knows?” Trump
      Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says some materials in the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul were painted over. The statement comes after investigators into journalist Jamal Khashoggi's disappearance searched the building.

Comment

• I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Get your own umbrella!
          I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
          Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
          Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• New step for voter suppression by the GOP:
            North Dakota’s voter identification law makes it harder for Native voters—and students, and other reliably Democratic voters—to participate in elections.

Thousands of native americans (which are likely democrats voters) will be blocked from voting because the voting now requires not only an ID card but also a valid postal address, whereas many native americans live in reservations (another "nice" invention by the white man ) get their mail only delivered to a PO box (because the US mail system in many parts of the country doesn't provide mailing services to residential addresses in reservations)
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• They did similar things in Georgia targeting African Americans. They know they are in deep **** demograpigcally, so they will try to rig everything.
              For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• Elizabeth Warren had a complete public meltdown on Twitter last night, even falsely accusing the President of making physical threats against her. Just what we need for President, a crazy ex-gf that doesn't know what race she is even after taking a DNA test.
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• I thought meltdowns on twitter was a Trump thing.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Broken_Erika View Post
                    Get your own umbrella!
                    I like the comment at the other site.
                    It''s the only way he can get her wet..
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                      Elizabeth Warren had a complete public meltdown on Twitter last night, even falsely accusing the President of making physical threats against her. Just what we need for President, a crazy ex-gf that doesn't know what race she is even after taking a DNA test.
                      You really have no clue what you are talking about.
                      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                        New step for voter suppression by the GOP:
                        North Dakota’s voter identification law makes it harder for Native voters—and students, and other reliably Democratic voters—to participate in elections.

Thousands of native americans (which are likely democrats voters) will be blocked from voting because the voting now requires not only an ID card but also a valid postal address, whereas many native americans live in reservations (another "nice" invention by the white man ) get their mail only delivered to a PO box (because the US mail system in many parts of the country doesn't provide mailing services to residential addresses in reservations)
                        That's a feature. Not a bug.
                        I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!

Comment

• Newt Gingrich is proud to have turned politics into a crap-throwing bloodsport.

The Man Who Broke Politics
                          Newt Gingrich turned partisan battles into bloodsport, wrecked Congress, and paved the way for Trump's rise. Now he's reveling in his achievements.
                          On June 24, 1978, Gingrich stood to address a gathering of College Republicans at a Holiday Inn near the Atlanta airport. It was a natural audience for him. At 35, he was more youthful-looking than the average congressional candidate, with fashionably robust sideburns and a cool-professor charisma that had made him one of the more popular faculty members at West Georgia College.

But Gingrich had not come to deliver an academic lecture to the young activists before him—he had come to foment revolution.

“One of the great problems we have in the Republican Party is that we don’t encourage you to be nasty,” he told the group. “We encourage you to be neat, obedient, and loyal, and faithful, and all those Boy Scout words, which would be great around the campfire but are lousy in politics.”

For their party to succeed, Gingrich went on, the next generation of Republicans would have to learn to “raise hell,” to stop being so “nice,” to realize that politics was, above all, a cutthroat “war for power”—and to start acting like it.

The speech received little attention at the time. Gingrich was, after all, an obscure, untenured professor whose political experience consisted of two failed congressional bids. But when, a few months later, he was finally elected to the House of Representatives on his third try, he went to Washington a man obsessed with becoming the kind of leader he had described that day in Atlanta.

The GOP was then at its lowest point in modern history. Scores of Republican lawmakers had been wiped out in the aftermath of Watergate, and those who’d survived seemed, to Gingrich, sadly resigned to a “permanent minority” mind-set. “It was like death,” he recalls of the mood in the caucus. “They were morally and psychologically shattered.”

But Gingrich had a plan. The way he saw it, Republicans would never be able to take back the House as long as they kept compromising with the Democrats out of some high-minded civic desire to keep congressional business humming along. His strategy was to blow up the bipartisan coalitions that were essential to legislating, and then seize on the resulting dysfunction to wage a populist crusade against the institution of Congress itself. “His idea,” says Norm Ornstein, a political scientist who knew Gingrich at the time, “was to build toward a national election where people were so disgusted by Washington and the way it was operating that they would throw the ins out and bring the outs in.”
                          ... Effective as these tactics were in the short term, they had a corrosive effect on the way Congress operated. “Gradually, it went from legislating, to the weaponization of legislating, to the permanent campaign, to the permanent war,” Mann says. “It’s like he took a wrecking ball to the most powerful and influential legislature in the world.”

But Gingrich looks back with pride on the transformations he set in motion. “Noise became a proxy for status,” he tells me. And no one was noisier than Newt.
                          Newt Gingrich turned partisan battles into bloodsport, wrecked Congress, and paved the way for Trump’s rise. Now he’s reveling in his achievements.

Comment

• Originally posted by BBC
                            Trump threatens to cut aid to Honduras over migrants

President Donald Trump has threatened to cut financial aid to Honduras over a large group of migrants heading towards the US border.

In a Tweet posted on Tuesday, Mr Trump said the country's president was told funds would be cut "immediately" if the group was not stopped and returned.

Honduras has a long history of poverty and corruption. It also has one of the highest murder rates in the world.

The group of at least 1,500 migrants grew rapidly in size over the weekend.

About 160 people originally set off on Friday from San Pedro Sula, a notorious Honduran crime hotspot.

They pushed across the border into Guatemala on Monday, despite a heavy police presence and government order attempting to block their route.

A group of at least 1,500 migrants is currently in Guatemala, heading north toward the US border.

Comment

• Stupid dumbass so called president. I'm so sick of this man. He needs to be removed from office after the midterms. He should get off twitter too. They need to ban him off there.

Comment

• Republicans Are Outraged About the Deficit They Caused
                                To pay for their tax breaks for the rich, they want to take healthcare from the poor.

(Bloomberg) -- Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell says the U.S. budget deficit is "disturbing" and spending on entitlement programs must be addressed by both Republicans and Democrats.+

It's all the Democrats fault! To fix the deficits they need to eliminate medicare and medicaid and all other welfare and social spending for poor people and bring in more tax cuts for the rich!

Comment

Working...
                                X