Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Beloved Bears' defense will be put to the test against Tennessee this week, Indy after that.

We shall see.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      It was only ONE game.

No, it was ONE destruction! The dismantling of the Eagles was incredible and the BIG weakness of stopping the run was exposed... look for Green Bay to use that when they face off with Philly.

GB will get smacked down by us the same way we smacked them down in the playoffs last year.

The Eagles have one of the top defenses in the league. Our defensive ranking is deceptive - we give up most yards during garbage time after we have jumped to a big lead. We are #2 in points allowed. Steelers O-line had a huge size advantage over our D-line. They are the only team who can manhandle our defense in a game.

The only thing that was exposed about the Eagles was that we had yet another huge game where the coaching staff:

- failed to get the team mentally ready and
      - failed to make adjustments to an opponents gameplan that was beating them.

Why do you hate Philly teams in all sports? You go out of your way to trash any Philly team.

Comment

• Imran is contrarian by nature. It's his law school training.

Comment

• I love it! I point out that someone's team isn't invincible and I get called a Philly hater!

I just love breaking rose colored glasses is all .

Btw, yards given up in garbage time will always be of the passing variety as teams try to catch up. They are never the running yards. But keep telling yourself your team has no weaknesses, the Steelers sure found none .

Oh, and if the team couldn't get mentally ready for a 6-1 team who just beat New England to stop their streak, then you have much bigger problems than just getting demolished last week.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I love it! I point out that someone's team isn't invincible and I get called a Philly hater!

I just love breaking rose colored glasses is all .

Btw, yards given up in garbage time will always be of the passing variety as teams try to catch up. They are never the running yards. But keep telling yourself your team has no weaknesses, the Steelers sure found none .

Oh, and if the team couldn't get mentally ready for a 6-1 team who just beat New England to stop their streak, then you have much bigger problems than just getting demolished last week.
            You arent called a Philly hater because "the team isn't invincivble" you are called a Philly hater because whenever you post something about a Philly team it is negative.

Garbage time can occur as early as the 3rd quarter if the team in the lead has completely dominated the opposition like the Eagles did their opponents earlier in the year. It was those early games where a lot of defensive yardage was given up. And I was talking about overall defensive rating not just defense against the run.

You are just trolling with your half-butt arguments. But that is normal for you.
            Last edited by Brundlefly; November 10, 2004, 11:10.

Comment

• I love it! Philly isn't invincible, so I'm a Philly hater who is trolling with my 'half-butt' argument, which *gasp* are based on stats and facts! Damn me and my stats! They are all biased against the Philly teams!

Go ahead, put me on your ignore list. And any fanboy that gets offended when I tell them their team isn't invincible can do the same .
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Philly run defense ranking is worse than their overall ranking (27 vs. 19). They gave up 252 to Pittsburgh. If we discount that game, their average would put them around #14 (middle of the pack). Again, teams do not run when they fall behind by a lot.

NY and Green Bay could give Philadelphia trouble
                In the playoffs - teams like
                Atlanta and Seattle could also pose a problem.
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• No, Yards Allowed are more important. You can give up more TDs because of an crappy offense (that gets intercepted at lot in their end). Yards shows you how a D is actually performing, discounting a crappy offense.
                  Points allowed only counts for actual defensive points allowed. BEsides, what does it matter if I give up 500 yards so long as I keep the team out of the end zone? Isn't that what a defense is supposed to do?

Comment

• Indeed.

This is why I think points allowed is a better measure of a defense than yards allowed.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Points allowed only counts for actual defensive points allowed.

And I said nothing different. If an offense gets an interception and the other team returns the INT to the 2 yard line, why should the D be penalized for that?

what does it matter if I give up 500 yards so long as I keep the team out of the end zone? Isn't that what a defense is supposed to do?

Usually teams that give up more yards are worse at keeping people from scoring. However, points allowed is tainted, by bad offenses, which can leave the defenses in horrible field position to defend.

Two defenses which may be exactly the same can seem totally different in points allowed based on the offense. A team with a crappy offense may give up more points because of field position. While the same defense with a good offense looks much better in points allowed because the opposition has to drive 80 or 90 yards instead of 50 for a TD.

Comment

• However, points allowed is tainted, by bad offenses, which can leave the defenses in horrible field position to defend.
                        Still, the compression of the defense needs to be considered. Some yards are more valuable than others.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Perhaps, but yards are more defense based. Points allowed derive a LOT from the offensive performance of the team. And yards allowed can show you the weaknesses of the team. Points allowed tells you little about where the defensive weakness may lie.

Yards used in conjunction with YPA (Yards Per Attempt) tells you much more than how many points they gave up.
                          Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; November 11, 2004, 00:48.

Comment

• Originally posted by bfg9000

TO will dance on the star at midfield again Monday night.
                            And get his head ripped off by Roy Williams.

But the eagles will still kill the cowboys.

ACK!
                            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• A team with a crappy offense may give up more points because of field position. While the same defense with a good offense looks much better in points allowed because the opposition has to drive 80 or 90 yards instead of 50 for a TD.
                              True dat. It's a synergy, with defense and special teams contributing to offense and vice versa. That's why football statistics are easily misinterpreted, and why it's the ultimate team sport.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Perhaps, but yards are more defense based. Points allowed derive a LOT from the offensive performance of the team. And yards allowed can show you the weaknesses of the team. Points allowed tells you little about where the defensive weakness may lie.

Yards used in conjunction with YPA (Yards Per Attempt) tells you much more than how many points they gave up.
                                While what you say is true... garbage time can really effect total yards. So if you have a great offense, and can put the other team down big early, you may give up a lot of meaningless yards

While each of the defensive measures have value to look at it, you do have to look at them all in context.
                                The best defenses are the one that dominate the game... Like the steal curtain... or the Bears 85 team...
                                You don't need stats to know how great those defenses were
                                Keep on Civin'
                                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X