No announcement yet.

Thread for obviously newsworthy stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it's nothing, Trump can pay for it out of his own pocket. Or better yet, let's divide it among trumpsters like yourself and you guys can pay for it for him. Since it's really nothing.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
      He's only demanding $5 billion. Divide that between each taxpayer. It's nothing.
      Realistically speaking. How much of the wall can you actually build for only 5 billion?
      I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
      Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
      Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Proteus_MST
        Proteus_MST commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, even if the costs would cover just 10% of the whole length, I have no doubt that Trump would try to sell it to his cult followers as a huge victory and would (by only showing the finished portion) let it appear as if the whole border now is covered in such a nice, high wall
        (like he already tried to do some time ago, with photos showing either sample builds for wall segments, or segments that already were built under Obama or Bush jr. )

• -Jrabbit
        -Jrabbit commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually, it goes back to Clinton.

• I thought I heard someone say, that for 5 billion they could build it the entire length if they made it only 6 inches high.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I read something about the whole wall costing around 25 B ... but perhaps even this was a lower estimate
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
          I read something about the whole wall costing around 25 B ... but perhaps even this was a lower estimate
          They oppose even 1.6b even though we've given other nations more than that for their security. Nothing for America, NP says that's immoral.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Broken_Erika View Post

Realistically speaking. How much of the wall can you actually build for only 5 billion?
            A lot. Seriously? 5b builds a lot of wall.

Comment

He's only demanding $5 billion. Divide that between each taxpayer. It's nothing.
              If you think $32 is "nothing"....

Comment

• Originally posted by spambot View Post

If you think $32 is "nothing"....
                Nothing to shut down the government over. We all have to pay for things we don't want to. That's how it works.

Comment

They oppose even 1.6b even though we've given other nations more than that for their security. Nothing for America, NP says that's immoral.
                  Well, what tiny piece of wall could you afford for 1.6 B ... and what added measure of security would it provide (over the already existing border patrols, fences, electronic surveillance etc.) , considering the fact that drug smugglers, human trafickers and others would still have thousands of miles of border where they could go around the wall?

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Last January, Trump asked for $25 billion for the wall. (Congress gave him $1.6 billion, which was basically seed money.)

Dept of Homeland Security now estimates the cost of the wall at $21.6 billion (up from their original estimate of $18 billion), plus $150 million/year for maintenance.
                    None of this includes the cost of land acquisition. Obviously, many landowners on the border would be impacted.

It's notable that many prototype designs have been submitted, but no design has been selected. This further clouds any attempt to estimate costs. In fact, the General Accounting Office (GAO) has declined to estimate the cost, because no reliable specifications exist.

So, just to make sure my buddy Kidicious doesn't think I'm lying, I went to Fox News for info. This is from a recent opinion column (yesterday) by conservative statstician Liberty Vittert.
                    Here's what the Trumpians are being told:

The Trump administration wants to enforce border security with a combination of a physical wall and natural barriers that would protect the estimated 1,933 miles-long border between the United States and Mexico. Many different cost estimates have been thrown around, from as little as $8 billion to as much as $70 billion, with anywhere from $150 million per year to $750 million per year in maintenance.

As a statistician, I want to take a look at how much the wall is actually going to cost. Now, as with anything, there are unintended costs and benefits, and it is impossible to account for everything that could possibly be affected.

I’m going to be transparent with every piece of information I give.

Let’s get started.

In 1993, President Bill Clinton mandated the construction of a 14 miles-long wall between San Diego, California and Tijuana, Mexico to stem the flow of illegal immigrants and drugs across our border. Then, in 2006, the Secure Fence Act under President George W. Bush authorized the construction of physical barriers (a wall and fences) along another 654 miles. About 130 miles of the border without a physical barrier has natural barriers.

So really we are talking about roughly 1,150 miles. If you drive at 60 miles per hour, that would take you about 19 hours as the eagle flies.

Alright, now let’s get out our calculators.

Construction

Size of the wall: 1,150 miles long; 40 feet high; 10 feet deep into the ground; 1 foot wide

Total volume of material: 11.2 million cubic yards

Materials: Approximately $8.7 billion in concrete (97 percent of the materials); approximately $3.6 billion in steel (3 percent of the materials)

Labor: Approximately $12.3 billion (given the labor costs on the original 654 miles of barriers we can assume a conservative 1:1 ratio of materials to labor)

Land acquisition: About 60 percent of the border is privately owned land. While the federal government has the power to take privately owned property for public purposes, it must provide “just compensation.” Based on previous purchases from the 2006-2009 wall construction, the cost at most would be $300,000 per mile acquired, or approximately $200 million altogether.

In total, the actual physical cost of the wall would be about $25 billion.
                    Obviously, there are a lot of independent variables in play here. But even subtracting 784 miles of barriers already in place, that $5 billion will only build about 20% of the remaining 1,150 miles. And odds are good that Trump would want the high-value areas that already have barriers to be upgraded to whatever "beautiful" design is chosen.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Land acquisition will easily double that price.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

Well, what tiny piece of wall could you afford for 1.6 B ... and what added measure of security would it provide (over the already existing border patrols, fences, electronic surveillance etc.) , considering the fact that drug smugglers, human trafickers and others would still have thousands of miles of border where they could go around the wall?
                        This is just not a good argument. It's a logical fallacy.

Comment

• And now a word from our sponsors.
                          Introducing; Huckabee in a Tree.
                          I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                          Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                          Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                            Last January, Trump asked for $25 billion for the wall. (Congress gave him $1.6 billion, which was basically seed money.)

Dept of Homeland Security now estimates the cost of the wall at $21.6 billion (up from their original estimate of $18 billion), plus $150 million/year for maintenance.
                            None of this includes the cost of land acquisition. Obviously, many landowners on the border would be impacted.

It's notable that many prototype designs have been submitted, but no design has been selected. This further clouds any attempt to estimate costs. In fact, the General Accounting Office (GAO) has declined to estimate the cost, because no reliable specifications exist.

So, just to make sure my buddy Kidicious doesn't think I'm lying, I went to Fox News for info. This is from a recent opinion column (yesterday) by conservative statstician Liberty Vittert.
                            Here's what the Trumpians are being told:

Obviously, there are a lot of independent variables in play here. But even subtracting 784 miles of barriers already in place, that $5 billion will only build about 20% of the remaining 1,150 miles. And odds are good that Trump would want the high-value areas that already have barriers to be upgraded to whatever "beautiful" design is chosen.
                            I have not idea what your point is. If 20% of the wall gets built it's going to be built to be most effective. Trump cares about border security. So does everyone else involved. You have no evidence that this is a scam. That's another smear and conspiracy theory of yours.

Comment

• -Jrabbit
                              -Jrabbit commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Listen, you ass: I posted a series of FACTS to address an open question. Nothing more, nothing less. I included my sources and chose FOX to quote. I did not call anything a scam. I did not smear anyone. And there is no hint of a "theory" (conspiracy or otherwise). FACTS do not have a point.

But the FACT that you take FACTS to be an attack - rather than a framework for discussion - just shows how far you have fallen down the rat-hole.

Go ahead, read my post again. Then tell me where I called the wall a scam, where I "smeared" someone, or WTF "conspiracy theory" I believe. Once you'e done, you may post your apology right here in the Comments.

Assh0le.

• Bull****. You suggested that Trump was going to waste them money not building the wall where it would benefit the people. YOU are the ass!

Comment

• -Jrabbit
                              -Jrabbit commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Dude, that's all in your head -- and we can all read. It's right there, post 4345. Where did I say that? WHERE?

C'mon, show us! It's right there! QUOTE WHERE I SAID THAT, MOTHERFVCKER!
                          Working...
                          X