You've Been Invited to Her Place...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
    who says that body language is inadequate for indicating that you want to have sex?
    California Senate Bill 967
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• could you explain further?
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

could you explain further?
        When students are brought before the tribunal to have their case heard the law would require them to show that they recieved affirmative consent for sex.

Comment

• also, i think that it's worth exploring what we mean by body language.

there are of course 1000s of possible scenarios but it seems to me that they fall into 3 main groups.

1. let's say you're with a girl and one thing is leading to another; it can be clear from the context that this will lead to sex, and that you both want it, without any express permission being given or even anything said at all.

2. sometimes the girl will make it clear, verbally or physically that she doesn't want sex and so you should back off.

3. however, there are times when it's not clear where things are headed and sometimes people can give mixed messages. when it's unclear, you should talk about it and clarify the situation.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
            When students are brought before the tribunal to have their case heard the law would require them to show that they recieved affirmative consent for sex.
            do you have a link to the relevant section?

Comment

do you have a link to the relevant section?
              http://www.fresnobee.com/2014/02/15/...d-improve.html

Even in the second decade of the 21st century, college campuses haven't consistently put rape victims first. This must change.Rape is an enduring if ugly fact of life on college campuses. Just like binge drinking and illegal drug use, its persistence is unlikely to be significantly curbed by any new state policy. What can — and should — change, however, are the inconsistent and sometimes obstructive responses that the state's university and colleges have taken to reports of rape among their students.That is starting to happen, thanks to pressure from students and activists. Last summer the Legislature began reviewing how California's public universities report sexual assault, deal with victims and perpetrators and how they refer cases to law enforcement for prosecution. Results are expected this spring.Sen. Kevin de Léon, D-Los Angeles, introduced Senate Bill 967 last week to establish rules for how California's public and private colleges deal with sexual assaults on campus. Its main difference from current practice is that responses must be "victim-centered."That's not merely placatory language. As Denice Labertew of the California Coalition Against Sexual Assault points out, this bill would fundamentally change the way many colleges deal with sexual assault. It would make it harder for perpetrators to brush assaults off as alcohol-fueled encounters and make it easier for victims to report sexual assault because their confidentiality would be protected. It also requires colleges to partner with community organizations for rape prevention and crisis services. Significantly, it adopts in campus disciplinary cases the "affirmative consent standard," which means that "yes" only means "yes" if it is said out loud.This bill was influenced by events at Occidental College, a private liberal arts college in de Léon's Los Angeles district. Last year, 37 students filed federal complaints accusing the school of underreporting and covering up the incidence of sexual assaults.Similar stories have been recounted by students with regularity across the state and the nation. More than a decade ago, an investigation by The Sacramento Bee found that University of California campuses had skirted federal law by underreporting crimes, specifically sexual assaults.Ideally, it wouldn't take legislation to accomplish consistent rape response at higher ed institutions. But even in the second decade of the 21st century, college campuses haven't always put rape victims first. This should change.Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/2014/02/15/...#storylink=cpy
              Last edited by Kidlicious; March 17, 2014, 14:40.

Comment

• That's not merely placatory language. As Denice Labertew of the California Coalition Against Sexual Assault points out, this bill would fundamentally change the way many colleges deal with sexual assault. It would make it harder for perpetrators to brush assaults off as alcohol-fueled encounters and make it easier for victims to report sexual assault because their confidentiality would be protected. It also requires colleges to partner with community organizations for rape prevention and crisis services. Significantly, it adopts in campus disciplinary cases the "affirmative consent standard," which means that "yes" only means "yes" if it is said out loud.
                making it easier to report sexual assault and partnering with rape prevention and crisis centres sounds very positive. if a college disciplinary case is handled differently to a criminal trial, i don't see too much wrong with that. hopefully it would encourage people to think more carefully about their sexual behaviour.

Comment

making it easier to report sexual assault and partnering with rape prevention and crisis centres sounds very positive. if a college disciplinary case is handled differently to a criminal trial, i don't see too much wrong with that. hopefully it would encourage people to think more carefully about their sexual behaviour.
                  One thing that I don't like is the language used, "victim-centered" for example. Is "victim -centered" law good? Why are they called victims when it hasn't even been proven that they are.

I don't think a law like this would be passed that affected women, so I see a double standard. The other thing is what they really want is for men to be convicted criminally without being proven guilty (just for rape) making men second class citizens.

Anyway, as you can see they don't believe body language can give consent.

Comment

One thing that I don't like is the language used, "victim-centered" for example. Is "victim -centered" law good? Why are they called victims when it hasn't even been proven that they are.
                    Because there was an age not too long ago (which you would probably have considered golden) when women were not treated like victims when they came forward and pressed rape charges against their attackers. A raped woman is generally seriously emotionally traumatized and vulnerable, and not treating them like victims means that they end up facing a barrage of mental trauma and humiliation if they try and get justice. That is exactly why for so long rape conviction figures were so terribly low, and why even today a lot of women don't report rapes because they can't face the trauma of cross examination in court.

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                    I don't think a law like this would be passed that affected women, so I see a double standard. The other thing is what they really want is for men to be convicted criminally without being proven guilty (just for rape) making men second class citizens.
                    Gee, I wonder why people think you hate women...

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                      Because there was an age not too long ago (which you would probably have considered golden) when women were not treated like victims when they came forward and pressed rape charges against their attackers. A raped woman is generally seriously emotionally traumatized and vulnerable, and not treating them like victims means that they end up facing a barrage of mental trauma and humiliation if they try and get justice. That is exactly why for so long rape conviction figures were so terribly low, and why even today a lot of women don't report rapes because they can't face the trauma of cross examination in court.

Gee, I wonder why people think you hate women...
                      kentonio is exhibit a, evidence that they want to extend this to criminal law.

Wipe the foam off your chin you ****.

Comment

kentonio is exhibit a, evidence that they want to extend this to criminal law.

Wipe the foam off your chin you ****.
                        Why are you here anyway? Isn't Monday the day you're usually off throwing rocks at women's shelters and heckling rape victims?

Comment

• I thought you had me on ignore *******. What happened?

Comment

I thought you had me on ignore *******. What happened?
                            I missed your cute little manly face.

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                              I missed your cute little manly face.
                              Not likely. You would like nothing better than to see me in prison or worse.

Comment

• Why are you here anyway? Isn't Monday the day you're usually off throwing rocks at women's shelters and heckling rape victims?
                                What, did swap shifts with you again?
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X