No announcement yet.

Texan Bigotry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you mean by "reading the Bible as a standalone document?" It's a compilation of dozens of different works, written in multiple languages over several centuries, with different intended audiences and purposes. Which is why the Christianity you get from reading the Bible as a standalone document is utterly and completely different from the version anybody else will get.
    One quibble. The bible doesn't even teach sola scriptura. The Bible teaches that it is to be used alongside another teaching authority - the Magisterium of the Catholic church. This is why. Plenty of folks have been going along over the years and claiming - "the bible says my sin isn't really a sin!", etc. This is just the latest in a long, long line of folks claiming the exact same thing. We are right and God is wrong.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• then I must be wrong - I figured the two into one flesh referred to the child but the prostitute verse casts doubt on that interpretation.
      Nope. Two becoming one flesh talks about the union of a man and a woman in marriage.

so having sex with a prostitute is the same as marriage?
      One is bonded with them in the same way.

I still dont see how Jesus was identifying when sex is sinful or not, he's just telling people about divorce
      Then why that bit about, "he made them male and female". We're supposed to fit together in a union in marriage because that's what we were made for. Other unions - unions outside of marriage, unions of more than one man and one woman are all deviations from what we were made for. That's why the Christian ideal is so radical.

I believe Jesus said divorce was allowed under certain circumstances so even he agreed marriages could be dissolved
      The main one being marital infidelity. In essence, a deviation from the same norm - you are breaking the union between husband and wife.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Read that again.
        You read it again.
        "Ben Kenobi is the only one here who believes gay marriage is wrong"
        "Ben Kenobi is the only one here who responded negatively to Mr Fun."

Gosh. I wonder if there's a correlation between disapproving of gay marriage and not being totally down with Mr. Fun. He undercut his own argument in an effort to ostracize me.

So we're back to 'stuff should be done the way I believe it should be done, the rest be damned'.
        Interestingly enough I was the very first person to reject gay marriage. Go me!

Comment

• Yet people like Ben seem quite happy to try and claim it's clarity and worthiness as a foundation of morality. Which is pretty ****ing funny really, considering even Christians end up with radically opposing views on even the most basic **** in there.
          So because people disagree means that truth is impossible?

Comment

• BK, you misread regexcellent. Read his statement again. He said you are not the only person on this site who disapproves of gay marriage (true), but you are the only one who shat on MrFun's engagement thread (true).
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• The subtext there, in case you missed it (likely because you didn't even read the actual text correctly), is that you are a bad person.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• And no one likes you. And you should leave this site forever.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                  You RACIST.
                  But, but, lots of my friends eat noodles.

Comment

• BK, you misread regexcellent. Read his statement again. He said you are not the only person on this site who disapproves of gay marriage (true), but you are the only one who shat on MrFun's engagement thread (true).
                    Again, reread his statement. He may have intended to write this, but he wrote that you are the only person. Not was not in the original post. Hence my statement of him undercutting what was likely his point.

The subtext there, in case you missed it (likely because you didn't even read the actual text correctly), is that you are a bad person.
                    I daresay I didn't misinterpret because I did state that I thought he undercut his real point through a typo.

I am a bad person. I'm a sinner. So is Fun. The difference is that I don't post a thread telling people to celebrate my sin.

Had I refrained from saying anything it wouldn't make me a good person, nor would it make Fun a good person. He'd still be a sinner and so would I. That I spoke up and spoke the truth, doesn't make Mr. Fun a bad person nor does it me a good person either. It makes us still both sinners.

I believe I had an obligation to speak up. So I did. I accept that it means that a certain segment of Apolyton will hate me. But then, Poly isn't my God.

Comment

• And no one likes you. And you should leave this site forever.
                      At this point in my life, Poly's been, easily, top 5 as a collective for a positive influence in my life.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                        Again, reread his statement. He may have intended to write this, but he wrote that you are the only person. Not was not in the original post. Hence my statement of him undercutting what was likely his point.
                        BK, your quote of him has him saying not. Can you honestly not see that? If so, then I retract everything bad I've ever said about you, because you're clearly deeply insane.

Comment

• I stand corrected. I *thought* that was odd. Read it right the first time.

Comment

• I guess this means Lori won't have to issue any sort of retraction.
                            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• JESUS CHRIST Ben. Lorizael has the right of it here. What I was saying was that you are the ONLY PERSON on this site who is enough of an ******* to stir **** up over MrFun's happy moment. PLENTY of other people, including me, simply held their tongues and let him enjoy the praise and well-wishes of others that he is entitled to. It was a thread about HIM, not you, not gay marriage, not gay rights, not politics, but him and his partner who he is marrying in California. Yet you butted in and rained on his parade and that was just so ****ing out of line I wanted to break my monitor. This site is loosely moderated and that's a good thing but in my opinion you deserved to get a posting vacation for that.

Comment

• Lorizael has the right of it here. What I was saying was that you are the ONLY PERSON on this site who is enough of an ******* to stir **** up over MrFun's happy moment.
                                I get that. I also know that I'm willing to take the heat over this. I thought it over, I expected to get heat for the simple statement that sin is sin. Mr. Fun wants a happy healthy life, and I want the same for him. Where we disagree is that I don't believe he's going to get there though the decision he is making. It's not the first time I've taken heat for sticking to my guns and taken blowback. That's life.

People would rather you sit down, strapped in and shut up rather than call a spade a spade. And people were all to happy to clap for the Emperor's sheer clothing ensemble.

PLENTY of other people, including me, simply held their tongues and let him enjoy the praise and well-wishes of others that he is entitled to.
                                Do you see me directing criticism at you?

It was a thread about HIM, not you, not gay marriage, not gay rights, not politics, but him and his partner who he is marrying in California. Yet you butted in and rained on his parade and that was just so ****ing out of line I wanted to break my monitor. This site is loosely moderated and that's a good thing but in my opinion you deserved to get a posting vacation for that.
                                So I should get a posting vacation for expressing the fact that, according to Mr. Fun's own expressed faith - he is committing a sin? If I pull out, say, Romans and quote Paul directly, or Corinthians, books that Mr. Fun states are a core part of his own life, and quote them by what they actually say this is a bannable offense?

Facts are facts, Reg. Facts are true whether we like them or not. We all have our choices and I have made mine.

Comment

Working...
                                X