MLB 2007 - World Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *sighs*

I'll say the same thing I said last year: If Steinbrenner fires Torre, it'll be a very foolish move and we'll most likely be headed directly into the toilet.

This time, I don't think he'll listen to reason.
    CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
    Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
    Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
    Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

• That's what happened to the Braves when they fired him in the early 80's.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• So it appears that Wedge was onto something. Realized that Byrd could get the job done.

And I do think it's time for the Yanks to dump Torre... at the very least before he kills Joba's arm (Torre is to relievers' arms as Dusty Baker is to starters' arms).
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          And I do think it's time for the Yanks to dump Torre... at the very least before he kills Joba's arm (Torre is to relievers' arms as Dusty Baker is to starters' arms).
          1. I see nothing wrong with how Joba was used in this series.
          2. Joba's going to be a starter next year, so no need to worry about Torre (or whoever) killing his arm then, either.

Keep in mind that dumping Torre probably means that Posada, Rivera, and Pettitte all exit stage right. Combine that with A-Rod likely opting out and signing in L.A. (he's a big Torre supporter, too) and Clemens not coming back (sure, he's not the player he was, but he's still a strong clubhouse leader) and you're talking about losing WAY too many essential pieces of the puzzle in one shot.
          CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
          Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
          Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
          Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

• This series? Who's talking about that. I just want you to meet a man named Scott Proctor. He's actually last in a line of people Torre has made pitch to breaking point.

The Yankees may need a restart at this point. Though its unfortunate that the next guy is going to get the blame. Any reasonably good manager would have done well with the amount of talent the Yankees have had for the past 5 years.

And Hell, A-Rod leaving will probably make the Yankees miss the playoffs next year regardless of who is manager (Torre or otherwise).
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Congrats to Cleveland. Nice pressure win. Byrd was amazing.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Congrats to the Indians. They were the better team. I'll be rooting for them.

I said at the outset the Yanks would need to get a little lucky to win this series. They did not. Not hitting Paul Byrd was just pathetic, though. Credit him for battling, of course, but I was watching and man, they should've crushed him. Wang was awful, Mussina was ok, and the rest of the 'pen did their jobs. This was a game the Yanks should've won 10-6, but they had some bad ABs with guys on base and the bounces didn't go their way.

I won't mind if Torre doesn't come back. I like him and all, but he's not a good tactician. It may indeed be time for a change there. The bigger worry (and Imran may be right that this is intertwined) is possibly losing one or more of ARod, Posada, Pettitte and Mo.

If all three FA's are retained, and Andy excercises his option, I like the look of the 2008 Yankees. If not, things could really fall apart.

-Arrian

p.s. And spare me from any more Clemens comebacks. Enough. Give me a rotation of Hughes, Pettitte, Chamberlain, Wang, and Kennedy, with Mussina as backup/Sunday starter.
                Last edited by Arrian; October 9, 2007, 13:31.
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• I think Torre's contributions are largely taken for granted, overlooked. He is a center of (relative) calm in the media hurricane of NYC, and has to deal with a roster of hugely overpaid players while keeping toxic management and a demanding fan base at bay. If they didn't fire him after the collapse vs Boston, I don't see why they should do it now.

He would be very difficult to adequately replace IMHO.
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Yankee play off batting average

H. Matsui .182
                    D. Mientkiewicz .000
                    J. Damon .278
                    D. Jeter .176
                    M. Cabrera .188
                    B. Abreu .267
                    R. Cano .333
                    J. Posada .133
                    A. Rodriguez .267
                    J. Giambi .250
                    S. Duncan .500
                    B. Sardinha .000

What a pathetic performance by many of the studs.
                    So I guess the solution is to fire the manager
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      The Yankees may need a restart at this point. Though its unfortunate that the next guy is going to get the blame. Any reasonably good manager would have done well with the amount of talent the Yankees have had for the past 5 years.
                      Four division titles and a wildcard after all the early season injuries isn't too bad. Except maybe in the entitled Yankeeverse.

And Hell, A-Rod leaving will probably make the Yankees miss the playoffs next year regardless of who is manager (Torre or otherwise).
                      Mr. October leaving?
                      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
                        p.s. And spare me from any more Clemens comebacks. Enough.
                        At this point, unless the MFY get crazy desperate and Clemens' ego runs away with him again, I think just about the whole universe realizes that Roger is done. If he tries to come back again, it'll just be like some of those old heavyweight boxers who just don't know they don't have it any more and embarass themselves.
                        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• He needs to get a new cellphone carrier so he can hear his wife say NO .

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                            I think Torre's contributions are largely taken for granted, overlooked. He is a center of (relative) calm in the media hurricane of NYC, and has to deal with a roster of hugely overpaid players while keeping toxic management and a demanding fan base at bay. If they didn't fire him after the collapse vs Boston, I don't see why they should do it now.

He would be very difficult to adequately replace IMHO.
                            His abilities with the media are not overlooked. They are, in fact, the first thing people bring up when discussing his talents. Every time.

And he IS good at those things. But he's bad at others. I was simply saying that I wouldn't be upset if he didn't come back (no need to fire - his contract is up). The worry, of course, is that the replacement might be worse. I like what I heard from Girardi in the booth this year. But of course people are floating Tony LaRussa rumors that scare the crap out of me (TLR is awful - hugely overrated).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming
                              Yankee play off batting average

H. Matsui .182
                              D. Mientkiewicz .000
                              J. Damon .278
                              D. Jeter .176
                              M. Cabrera .188
                              B. Abreu .267
                              R. Cano .333
                              J. Posada .133
                              A. Rodriguez .267
                              J. Giambi .250
                              S. Duncan .500
                              B. Sardinha .000

What a pathetic performance by many of the studs.
                              So I guess the solution is to fire the manager
                              Jeter was actually worse than his BA alone shows. All three hits were singles and he grounded into three DPs, including a total back-breaker last night. He was the offensive goat of the series. But yeah, the only guys who did their jobs were Cano and Lurch.

-Arrian

Comment

• Someone is going to find a way to blame that on A-Rod .

Comment

Working...
                                X