X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snoopy369
    replied
    Originally posted by Jon Shafer
    They hit almost 4.5 million for a number of years. They were #1 in ticket sales from their inaugural season until 2000 (when they dropped to 3rd). Colorado loves its sports. The Rockies have just been, well, terrible lately.

Jon
    Hmm, that's true. I'm amazed the stadium holds that many, baseball stadiums are made small nowadays ... at least there are plenty of Coloradoans to fill the seats, with Aurora and whatnot growing by leaps and bounds

Maybe I'll get my dad to take me to a game next time I visit during the season... no way he'd go to a Broncos game, sadly, as he hates Elway and thus the team (due to the Baltimore thing... he holds a grudge like nobody I know)

Leave a comment:

• MichaeltheGreat
    replied
    Originally posted by OzzyKP
    Edgar Renteria
    Rent-a-wreck

Leave a comment:

• OzzyKP
    replied
    Edgar Renteria

Leave a comment:

• Imran Siddiqui
    replied
    Originally posted by Ming
    Atlanta is college football country... Hell, they couldn't even sell out play off games.
    Made more specific

Leave a comment:

• -Jrabbit
    replied
    Originally posted by Arrian
    -Arrian, who must now purchase his wife some sort of "2007 Red Sox: WS Champion" gear for Christmas. Sigh.
    Condolences, Arrian. That's gotta be tough. It must be love...

Leave a comment:

• Jon Shafer
    replied
    They hit almost 4.5 million for a number of years. They were #1 in ticket sales from their inaugural season until 2000 (when they dropped to 3rd). Colorado loves its sports. The Rockies have just been, well, terrible lately.

Jon

Leave a comment:

• snoopy369
    replied
    The Rockies pull in a pretty good amount of money. Until a few years ago they were #1 in ticket sales since their inception, over 10 years prior. Of course, they're not the same price as a ticket in Yankee Stadium would be, but when you sell out 50,000 seats regularly it's going to bring in some cash.

That popularity has dropped off the last few years, but even during the days of milk and honey the Rockies were never big spenders. I'd be surprised if much of the core team that did so well this year was still around in 3. The ownership wanted to trade Todd Helton at the start of this season, and without him their payroll would be pretty well near last in the league.

Jon
    50,000 seats a game? If they did that regularly they'd hit 4m seats, which is well beyond even the cubs (admittedly, sellout of Wrigley is like 36000 or something, I think?) ... didn't realize Coors was that big, but I guess with the cavernous size and all it must have a decent number of seats in it.

They're certainly a growing area, I always thought of them as football country (ie the Atlanta comparison). I suppose if they hit 3.5m seats a season it would be worth it ... who knows, maybe with the Holliday/Tulowitzki combination they can bring in more fans. I'd honestly have preferred them trade Helton, he's getting old for that team and it makes sense to grab a good player or two at AAA for him if you can to have a deeper team three to five years from now when Tulowitzki and Holliday are in their prime.

Perhaps if they start to regularly sell out next year they'll convince management to pay for a better team They don't even have any huge holes besides pitching, and their pitching isn't horrible (though they definitely need stronger pitching).

Leave a comment:

• Ming
    replied
    Atlanta is football country... Hell, they couldn't even sell out play off games.

Colorado is different. They can add to attendence, and an expanding base of fans can add to the TV and Radio revenue. Granted, they aren't a Big Market, but they can do better than their current deal.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Shafer
    replied
    The Rockies pull in a pretty good amount of money. Until a few years ago they were #1 in ticket sales since their inception, over 10 years prior. Of course, they're not the same price as a ticket in Yankee Stadium would be, but when you sell out 50,000 seats regularly it's going to bring in some cash.

That popularity has dropped off the last few years, but even during the days of milk and honey the Rockies were never big spenders. I'd be surprised if much of the core team that did so well this year was still around in 3. The ownership wanted to trade Todd Helton at the start of this season, and without him their payroll would be pretty well near last in the league.

Jon

Leave a comment:

• Arrian
    replied
    The thing is that the Rockies need to compete more than once to really grow their revenue, I'd think. If they are a legit contender next year too, and the year after that... then they will be in a position to capitalize on an enlarged fan base/fan interest. They won't be the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs... but they can become more of a "mid-market" team than a "small-market" one. See: Seattle Mariners.

-Arrian

Leave a comment:

• snoopy369
    replied
    Originally posted by Ming

50%... greed is an evil thing. Maybe they will learn the 25% of a larger total is better than 50% of a smaller total. A continued winning tradition is a great way to earn tons of money.
    I think the problem is that it's not... unless you can generate attendance and TV numbers the way the Cubs/Red Sox/Yankees do, you aren't going to double your revenue totals by winning even if you win the WS every year. Look at the Braves for a case in point - they had the best team in baseball for the decade of the 1990s, and they couldn't manage decent numbers... it has so much to do with the fans and their home city.

I don't think the Rockies could double no matter how good they were. Thus, you have to hope the owners care about the team's performance as well as their incomes...

Maybe you can sell the Rockies to Mark Cuban, if he's not buying the cubs...

Leave a comment:

• MichaeltheGreat
    replied
    Originally posted by Arrian

2007 WS Champions gear, man. Unless ARod signs with the Sox AND has a time machine...

That's what I call investing yourself in your team...

-Arrian
    Got a whole closet full of stuff.

Leave a comment:

• MichaeltheGreat
    replied
    Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
    The Sox really owe a lot to the Farm System for this year. With big money busts like Drew and Gagne, and the underperformance of other big money names, the Sox were helped by home-grown talents under the $500,000 mark (Papelbon, Lester, Buckholtz, Youk, Pedroia, Ellsbury) who stepped up and were the real stars of this team.
    The Sox are going to have some serious problems (or serious spending to do) around '09 and '10. Most of the above players will be free-agent eligible by then, and get a lot fatter contracts. Tek will be done, Wake and Schill will be long done (Wake's back/shoulder problem isn't good news). Absense of Wake will make Dougie irrelevant, but he's old already.

Manny's option years will be out, and it'll be interesting what he has to bring after next year.

Things look great for next year, but after that, I think there will be a lot of spending/rebuilding.

The best news, right here, right now, unless Epstein simply goes crazier-than-a-****house-rat crazy, is that Gagme has made the transition to Gone?-Yay!!!

Leave a comment:

• Ming
    replied

Well, the team ownership is keeping about 50% of ticket revenues already, whereas most teams are about 25%, so I can't say I have a lot of faith in them.

Jon

50%... greed is an evil thing. Maybe they will learn the 25% of a larger total is better than 50% of a smaller total. A continued winning tradition is a great way to earn tons of money.

Leave a comment:

• Arrian
    replied
    Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

Don't buy too soon - you might be able to get her an A-Rod jersey. (Though I hope not - I'd much rather keep Mikey)
    2007 WS Champions gear, man. Unless ARod signs with the Sox AND has a time machine...

I've got my Eastern Div champs gear and AL champs gear already, and WS champs gear on the way.
    That's what I call investing yourself in your team...

-Arrian

Leave a comment:

Working...
X