No announcement yet.

Britain versus The Pope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem we have now is that the current system is inherently unfair to other religious groups (what John Tory recognised and argued). The ideal solution would be to strip funding from the Catholic board and go to a single system however, politically it is easier to give more out to other groups than take away existing funding from the Catholic board.
    The issue is much deeper then just fairness. It's no different then the policy of official bilingualism. If there is no requirement within Ontario to fund for Catholic schools, why are we funding for French, when other languages are more common?

It has to do with Canada, and the constitution. If and only if Canada is willing to repudiate all the other parts of the '67 agreement, then it makes sense to strip out the one regarding Catholic schools. This includes support for official bilingualism, etc.

From a provincial standpoint, it's up to Ontario. Personally, I'd like to see both bilingualism and the official parishional schools (Catholic and Protestant) abolished.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• What official Protestant "parishional" schools in Ontario are you referring to?
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        The issue is much deeper then just fairness...

It has to do with Canada, and the constitution.
        Constitution reform required or not, as I said, it is politically easier to give than to take.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• What official Protestant "parishional" schools in Ontario are you referring to?
          Apparently there is one in Penetanguishene on the Georgian Bay.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
            Fine, so you understand that both CE and RC schools are treated the same, and agree that all faith schools should be privately funded.

Splendid.
            I would go further. I think that faith schools shouldn't be allowed, however they are funded. All kids should be taught in secular schools and any religious content other than factual/historical should be done at home/additional classes provided by the religion (sunday schools etc.) if the parents want that.

I actually went to a CofE primary school, despite never having been baptised or anything, it was fine. School assemblies happened in the adjoined church and we'd sing hymns in them and the vicar would talk to us occasionally, but it didn't cross over into the classrooms. I couldn't have told you if most of my teachers were religious or not. This was before all the current academy stuff was set up of course.
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

• MikeH is sensible
              "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Apparently there is one in Penetanguishene on the Georgian Bay.
                Well that was helpful.

I suspect you are referring to a private school that doesn't receive public funds. Our only publicly funded religious schools are Catholic (see the John Tory discussion above).

Comment

• I suspect you are referring to a private school that doesn't receive public funds. Our only publicly funded religious schools are Catholic (see the John Tory discussion above).

And you, sir, are wrong.

The only one is Penetanguishene which is a prominent Franco-Ontarien community.

But then again, you already knew this.

Comment

• I would go further. I think that faith schools shouldn't be allowed, however they are funded. All kids should be taught in secular schools and any religious content other than factual/historical should be done at home/additional classes provided by the religion (sunday schools etc.) if the parents want that.
                    What's your take on homeschooling?

I actually went to a CofE primary school, despite never having been baptised or anything, it was fine. School assemblies happened in the adjoined church and we'd sing hymns in them and the vicar would talk to us occasionally, but it didn't cross over into the classrooms. I couldn't have told you if most of my teachers were religious or not. This was before all the current academy stuff was set up of course.
                    I really don't see the argument against privatisation. It's contrary to freedom of religion. People have the right to be educated in a manner consistent to their religious faith. Education is primarily a parental, not a state duty.

Comment

• Very interesting. A "Protestant Separate School Board". That's a new one to me.

I do note however:

Penetanguishene Protestant Separate School Board has 1 school.

This is obviously some sort of oddball exception. Surely you aren't implying there are publicly funded P- schools across the province? There are 1000's of publicly funded C- schools. There is a clear distinction.

Comment

• Can I presume you were in favour of Tory's proposal to extend funding to all faith based schools in the province and not just Catholics (and apparently one Protestant)?

Comment

• Yes, the Protestant school is a one off:

Burkevale Protestant Separate School is Ontario, Canada's last remaining Protestant separate school and is the only school in the Penetanguishene Protestant Separate School Board. It is located in Penetanguishene on the corner of Peel and Burke Street. The original two story, red brick building was built in 1882 for a cost of $3500. A two story addition was added in 1909-1910. The building was torn down in June 1965 to make way for the current Burkevale Protestant Separate School.

The current school has a population of 253 students in classes from kindergarten to grade 8 and a staff of 27 (2007). The school's mascot is a bulldog and its motto is "Striving for Excellence". The school is well known for its state of the art education technology, full music program and great athletic teams. The current principal is Mr. Tim Mallon.

And before you ***** about the wiki link - It is the redirect provided by the school's own website:

Burkevale Home of the bulldogs ScreeningTools Student Registration BusInfo Learn@ Home SchoolCalendar Screening Tools Student Registration Learn @ Home School Year Calendar Bus Info Burkevale Protestant Separate School Burkevale PSS Kindergarten @ Burkevale PowerPoint Presentation Burkevale Protestant Separate School is Ontario’s last remaining Protestant separate school and is the only school in the Penetanguishene Protestant

Now that this red herring has been dealt with...

Comment

• This is obviously some sort of oddball exception. Surely you aren't implying there are publicly funded P- schools across the province? There are 1000's of publicly funded C- schools. There is a clear distinction.
                            They are funded by the exact same process. The whole reason you have a 'public school system', is because the protestant schools were secularised. The public school system in Ontario didn't arise out of nothing. This exception is probably the only district that is and was majority Catholic.

Comment

• Can I presume you were in favour of Tory's proposal to extend funding to all faith based schools in the province and not just Catholics (and apparently one Protestant)?
                              Absolutely not. Tory's proposal was garbage.

I've already stated, I'd rather there be no funding whatsoever. I think it makes for better quality parochial schools.

Comment

They are funded by the exact same process. The whole reason you have a 'public school system', is because the protestant schools were secularised.
                                So you concede there is no publicly funded Protestant school board (with the glaring exception of the 253 student school in Penetanguishene)?

The public school system in Ontario didn't arise out of nothing. This exception is probably the only district that is and was majority Catholic.
                                I looked for the reason for the exception but couldn't find it. I assure you it would not be the only jurisdiction that was "majority Catholic". There would be a long list of such places in Ontario.

Comment

Working...
                                X