• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask a Finn.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi View Post
      It's an artifact from a bygone era.
      That is a claim by a few, however, there is no evidence of this. Because it claims a difference between the present and the past which does not exist, it is not a reasonable argument.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        If a child is old enough for secular instruction, he's old enough to go to church.
        How can they go to "church" if they don't know wich religion they may want to join ?

You can't compare ordinary discoplines such as spelling, math, biology etc. with religion.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• why is this thrade so popular? wow you are all pathetic
          Order of the Fly
          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

• Jon, you just don't get it, do you?

I teach my students that everything changed after the French revolution and that Napoleon freed people from the shackles of religion, and that he was a true God who ascended into heaven from St. Helena.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by AAHZ View Post
              why is this thrade so popular? wow you are all pathetic

Try threatening one of your flamewars against anyone continuing to post in it. I guarantee everyone will be so intimidated that they'll stop.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                That is a claim by a few, however, there is no evidence of this. Because it claims a difference between the present and the past which does not exist, it is not a reasonable argument.

JM

You wouldn't consider rising levels of atheism/agnosticism, coupled with alternative theories explaining creation taking precedence over the religious texts, to be a difference?

I would.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                  I believe that people have a natural inclination for religion, even children. If you try not to be religious, then you must fill that God-given void with something else. It just can't be a void. Whatever you fill it with, is in reality, your religion.
                  Can I echo Laz's "Bollocks!"
                  Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

• Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                    You wouldn't consider rising levels of atheism/agnosticism, coupled with alternative theories explaining creation taking precedence over the religious texts, to be a difference?

I would.
                    Me too.
                    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

I would.
                      The % that are atheist (as scientists) are about the same as always. What you observe happening in UK (Or Sweden) isn't happening in the world as a whole.

Alternative theories for the existence of the universe have had not caused a significant change in theism levels.

The % of the world with no religion is dropping. http://www.religioustolerance.org/worldrel.htm

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

That's not a religion, because it's founded on fact.
                        Factuality has nothing to do with it. My point is that it's how you keep from killing yourself.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post

JM
                          Which part that exonerates religion is supposed to be the same?
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• You wouldn't consider rising levels of atheism/agnosticism, coupled with alternative theories explaining creation taking precedence over the religious texts, to be a difference?
                            That's no different then the theory that Napoleon was a God, and everything changed after him.

Do you think this age is particularly well noted for virtue?

You're a far better historian than this.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Ages that were "well noted for virtue" tended to seem that way due to nostaglia rather than factual basis. There was a stunning level of depravity in the "Victorian Era" for one.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                                Factuality has nothing to do with it. My point is that it's how you keep from killing yourself.
                                @ the idea religion is what stops you from killing yourself.
                                We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                                X