No announcement yet.

Britain versus The Pope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But religious people never committed suicide!
    Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeH View Post
      @ the idea religion is what stops you from killing yourself.
      Have you ever heard the song "Losing My Religion?"
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• So Michael Stipe has the definitive answers to the meaning of life now?

I will now sum Kid up in 4 words-

Mental, mental, chicken oriental.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Ages that were "well noted for virtue" tended to seem that way due to nostaglia rather than factual basis.
          Imran gets a cookie.

Surprised that Laz would believe in historical progress.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• You haven't been paying attention.

Comment

• Does he ever?
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I was certain he was a Hobbesian.

I'm rather disappointed that historical filth was simply a way of showing how we are so much better today than folks back then.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• I would be too. If that was true. Which it isn't.

Comment

• So why are you asserting that rising levels of agnosticism are at all significant? You've been relentless at showing that the levels of faith from before are inaccurate.

If this is true, then people are about as faithful as they always are, which is not very.

Comment

• This sums up up your problem, Ben. You are looking for a grand, unifying message and moral underpinning the Filth I write.

There isn't one.

I randomly amass huge quantities of stuff about the funny things people did with their genitals, or the most hilariously outrageous tales of human corruption, because it makes me laugh in a number of ways. Then I share them. There is no underpinning philosophy beyond that- it's just muckraking for giggles.

Your point about levels of faith is completely moot because I've never done a Filth about it. Sure, I've written about corrupt Popes and Priests, but then again I've written about corrupt Kings, Emperors, Viziers, Premiers and every other type of ruler too. They're all targets. Their respective levels of faith don't interest me. At heart I'm an apatheist- I only take an interest in religion because it keeps getting forced into the secular world- as in this thread's example.

Comment

• Well fair enough.

You still do strike me as a Hobbesian.

I quite enjoy your 'Filth' columns irrespective of the target, I always learn something new.

Comment

Working...
                        X