Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These are kind of weak.

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

"at some point in the evening, a light is going to shine down and you will have an epiphany and you’ll say, ‘I have to vote for Barack."
    - January 7, 2008
    As you said, this was kind of a self-effacing joke at his own popularity, which already takes him out of the messiah line up, if you're going to be fair.

"generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on Earth. "
    - June 3, 2008
    All this proves is that he's a better orator than McCain who made just as embelished comments about how his presidency would change the world.

And of course quotes from his followers like Chris Matthews who said he felt a thrill go up his leg when Obama was speaking. And Spike Lee saying there will be a "Before Obama" and "After Obama".
    Obama can hardly be blamed for their comments. Are we to drag out the few McCain loyal fans who think the sun rises and falls from his pants (pants is funnier)?

No, this is all just a double standard and an attempt to undermine Obama's popularity. And as Zkrib has stated, it's the life-blood of those who don't want to talk about the issues.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

As you said, this was kind of a self-effacing joke at his own popularity, which already takes him out of the messiah line up, if you're going to be fair.

Of course this was PRIOR to just about all of the messiah stuff. This was prior to Iowa, remember. So he was making a joke about his messianism before it was picked up by the press?

All this proves is that he's a better orator than McCain who made just as embelished comments about how his presidency would change the world.

Did McCain said generations will look back at this moment and say that's when we healed the entire world?

Obama can hardly be blamed for their comments.

One can easily mock the entire concept. "The One" is making fun of those who think he'll heal the world and chant "Yes we can" in their sleep and think Obama is the one the world has been waiting for.

Are we to drag out the few McCain loyal fans who think the sun rises and falls from his pants (pants is funnier)?

Do they actually exist?

And as Zkrib has stated, it's the life-blood of those who don't want to talk about the issues.

I'll ask you as I asked him (which he ignored), does rah, who has continually used "The One" which caused all this hubbub not want to talk about the issues? Does Ben ever not want to talk about the issues? DD? Who are we talking about here?
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

And of course quotes from his followers like Chris Matthews who said he felt a thrill go up his leg when Obama was speaking. And Spike Lee saying there will be a "Before Obama" and "After Obama".
        Hmm, gay for obama?

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Of course this was PRIOR to just about all of the messiah stuff. This was prior to Iowa, remember. So he was making a joke about his messianism before it was picked up by the press?
          No, that's not what I said. He's making a joke about his own popularity.

Did McCain said generations will look back at this moment and say that's when we healed the entire world?
          No, McCain did not say those exact words, which is why I said that Obama is a better orator. McCain has made his own outlandish claims at the result of his presidency though.

Obama can hardly be blamed for their comments.

One can easily mock the entire concept. "The One" is making fun of those who think he'll heal the world and chant "Yes we can" in their sleep and think Obama is the one the world has been waiting for.
          You don't really believe that. If you want to make fun of his followers, call them Obamanites or something silly like that. But to think that "The One" is trying to make fun of them only is so incredibly naive, that I don't believe that you even believe that. You're whole point, up until now, has been a direct attack on Obama's character, afterall.

Are we to drag out the few McCain loyal fans who think the sun rises and falls from his pants (pants is funnier)?

Do they actually exist?
          That's a very good question.

And as Zkrib has stated, it's the life-blood of those who don't want to talk about the issues.

I'll ask you as I asked him (which he ignored), does rah, who has continually used "The One" which caused all this hubbub not want to talk about the issues? Does Ben ever not want to talk about the issues? DD? Who are we talking about here? [/QUOTE]

Yes, yes, yes. Not that they don't want to ever talk about the issues. It's just when they fall on "The One," they've given up any semblance of serious debate and have degraded to simple name-calling.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

He's making a joke about his own popularity.

Of course, as I said, that's before Iowa. When he wasn't the odds on favorite.

which is why I said that Obama is a better orator

Because McCain didn't say that this would be the moment when generations would look back and say the President healed the world? I don't think that's just better oration. Even the 2013 speech, which set out goals McCain hopes occur wasn't even close to that grandiose.

But to think that "The One" is trying to make fun of them only is so incredibly naive, that I don't believe that you even believe that.

Uh... it's to make fun of both. How does Obamanites fully encapsulate the cultish devotion so many Obama worshippers have?

It's just when they fall on "The One," they've given up any semblance of serious debate and have degraded to simple name-calling.

Can I quote you on this when I see anyone say "McSame"?
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

He's making a joke about his own popularity.

Of course, as I said, that's before Iowa. When he wasn't the odds on favorite.
              He was still very popular at that time.

which is why I said that Obama is a better orator

Because McCain didn't say that this would be the moment when generations would look back and say the President healed the world? I don't think that's just better oration. Even the 2013 speech, which set out goals McCain hopes occur wasn't even close to that grandiose.
              Well, that's just your opinion or bias ("McCain's hopes" ). All Obama is saying that he has his own hopes for his presidency too: better healthcare for all Americans, lower unemployment, protection of the environment, the end of the Iraq war and the major terrorist threats, and an improved American image around the world. It's unfair to damn the man for speaking it a bit more eloquently than most politicians. I wish we had more orators like him today.

But to think that "The One" is trying to make fun of them only is so incredibly naive, that I don't believe that you even believe that.

Uh... it's to make fun of both. How does Obamanites fully encapsulate the cultish devotion so many Obama worshippers have?
              Uh... then you shouldn't have equivicated so much before. If anything you should be making fun of the the fiendish Obama-haters who hype on every little thing he does. They are just a fanatical. Seriously, this has no bearing on the issues and is just mudslinging.

It's just when they fall on "The One," they've given up any semblance of serious debate and have degraded to simple name-calling.

Can I quote you on this when I see anyone say "McSame"?
              Certainly. Now you're getting it.
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Well, despite what rah said, my personal experience is that a lot of right-wingers believe stuff like the OP. And that right-wingers tend to lack humor (there's a reason why most entertainers are left-wing/moderate, folks). These are the same people who burst a blood vessel if you even suggest there might have been a down side to the Reagan and Bush I eras.
                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

and welcome back, Dancing Cow!!
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Well, despite what rah said, my personal experience is that a lot of right-wingers believe stuff like the OP. And that right-wingers tend to lack humor (there's a reason why most entertainers are left-wing/moderate, folks). These are the same people who burst a blood vessel if you even suggest there might have been a down side to the Reagan and Bush I eras.
                    Sure, there was a down side. The start. The best thing about the era is that it was not only increasing in awesomeness, but it actually accelerated all the way through to 1992.

I guess I have to turn in my right wing card now. The only people who see that there wasn't a downside, believed that the entire era hovered at awesomeness.

I'm sorry. I happen to be a realist.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Riiight.

How old are you again?

And when's the last time you visited reality?

Comment

The sad part is that one of us is actually serious, and the other one lacks a sense of humour.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                          I liked McCain in 2000 and was really disappointed when he dropped out. But this MCain is an entirely different person.

It's odd how McCain is supporting so many of Bush's policies while his own party is moving against them and losing members because of them. I think a lot of his supporters don't seem to understand what they are getting with McCain.
                          I honestly think McCain is only saying he supports all things Bush in order to get elected. If elected he'd probably move towards the center.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                            The sad part is that one of us is actually serious, and the other one lacks a sense of humour.
                            True. Your lack or humor is well-documented, as is your ability congeal a substantive argument based on facts.

Comment

What exactly is "We are the ones we've been waiting for"?
                              The wider speech was everyone wants to change the world but they're waiting for someone else to do it. Then he says we're the people we've been waiting for and we have to go out and do things if we want them to happen.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Well after reading all of these comments....

Yeah most of us on the right don't have much of a sense of humor either. Hell, half of them can't even smile.

Thankfully I'm not that far right so the I'm not totally devoid of humor yet. Maybe when I get a few years older.

And while I make fun of the "ONE" part of Obama's campaign, I'm doing it because it's working for him and he's using it to his advantage. I'm just trying to blunt the success of it. It's hard to fight that type of stratagy. Making fun of it is the only defense.
                                Obama is a charismatic candidate who knows it and takes advantage of it at every turn. And If I really believed that he had the substance to go along with it, I'd probably be supporting him.

In all honesty, I figured I wouldn't be voting REPUG this time around, but was pleasantly suprised that McCain was selected. I liked and agree alot with the OLD McCain and I'm hoping that if he wins he'll be more like that. Yes Candidates have to compromise when running and say a lot of weird stuff to satisfy people. Obama's slide to the center is a perfect example. But when it's all said and done, If Obama is elected, I figure he'll slide left. If McCain wins, he'll slide back a little left also. If that's the case, I prefer where McCain will end up.
                                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X