Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the worst game you actually paid for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the early '80s, it was "Pac-Man" for the Atari 2600. I think my dad took it back to the store (along with the 2600) on my recommendation for a full refund.

In the late '80s, it was "Star Trek V" for the PC. Complete waste of time.

In the '90s, it was "Birth of the Federation". Yes, there's a decent fan base, but having been weaned on MOO and MOO2, I really loved the way ship movement was handled in those games (ships move between star systems) as opposed to the Civ-like map that BotF had. (And yes, both Gal Civ and Final Frontier disappointed me by using a similar movement system....) And the unique race traits really rail-roaded players' playing styles. After two weeks of playing, I just wasn't freakin' enjoying myself at all. This was probably the last PC game I was allowed to take back to a store for a full refund.

In the '00s, it was "Civ III: Play the World". I suppose it was marginally better than Civ III, but if you weren't playing MP (which I wasn't,) you really didn't get anything new out of it. Also: MP didn't actually work.

"Tropico" was good for a month or two of playing....but the micromanagement was insane. Still, the ambiance and music are entertaining enough to get me to play it occasionally (after we went on our honeymoon to the Caribbean last year, I actually fired it up and played around with it a little after we got home. The micromanagement still killed my enjoyment, but I can't say I haven't gotten my money's worth out of it.)
    "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

Sid Meier's Pirates. Sorry, it had to be said.

Originally posted by Elok
      I understand that it had the clunkiest, most unwieldy interface ever made. Also it departed from the fun space empire theme of its predecessors and had you running an interstellar bureaucracy. So I hear, at least. I never played it.
      I've seen worse UI designs than MOO3. It has a good semi-automatic system for most queues, which can be nicely varied by planet type on multiple levels. It takes some figuring out, but you can do wonders with it, without any MM at all. I bet many people didn't even try, and got burned by the bad (really bad) UI that you have to use to micromanage. But the nice macromanagement UI doesn't help MOO3, since most other things are broken. I'd even say it exposes those weaknesses (useless space battles and diplomacy, to name some) by way of contrast.
      Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Warcraft 3

SPec.
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Modo44
          Sid Meier's Pirates. Sorry, it had to be said.
          It was.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Yeah, the new version of pirates, I played through once and never again. no replayability whatsoever for me.

Comment

I didn't even buy it. Lucky me, I guess.

Comment

The new Pirates! was essentially the 1987 version with a facelift. I didn't hate it, but it certainly didn't bring anything terribly impressive to the table. One of the few additions, the dancing, sucked donkey balls.

Still... Pirates! > Outpost.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by CrONoS
                  Why Master Of Orion 3 is so bad?

I remember having played the MOO & MOO2 a lot and actually I liked it.

Is it because it's just plain bad or the game was very buggy?
                  Moo3 was great on paper and expectations were great. On paper, it had the potential of being one of the greatest game you could imagine.
                  Implementation ruined everything.
                  Moo3 is for me, the ultimate example of great ideas badly implemented.

I do not remember so many bugs, but I remember quite nasty ones. Browsing, jumping through screens could stall the game was the most annoying one.
                  Imagine that to get to the planet view, you need to click at least on 3 levels of menu. Then, you cannot jump to the fleet menu (the fleet orbiting your planet, f.i.) without risking a stall. But you need to go back-back-back to the main menu, then click-click-click-click to select the fleet you want. Every back or click taking of course 1-2 seconds.
                  In fact, to avoid the stall, every forward click in any menu had to be un-clicked, if understand what I mean.

The GUI was terrible. For me, the worst was what I call the report sheet screens. In every strategical game, you want a report sheet with all your planets/countries/cities/colonies... you are supposed to manage, with some easy-to-read symbols or numbers to get a picture of your empire. Which planets/ships/... are ok, which need a change. And maybe some links on those symbols to jump to the appropriate screen to modify things.
                  I like to see at least 10 (16 is better, 8 is an minimum) of my planets/countries/cities... per page. And I like to be able to sort them in a meaningfull way.
                  In Moo3, you got 5!!!! (five) planets per page. So much for the 'big picture' of your empire. And I do not remember being able to sort them the way I wanted. There were sorting possibilities, but not the one I wanted.
                  And with the links, you could click on it, but be sure to come back on this screen before clicking elsewere.

And one last thing. As a Moo player, you will understand: all races were uncreative... you know, like in Moo1.
                  That's not funny.
                  The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                    Privateer II -- which was ashame, because Privateer (or Wing Commander fame) was one of the best games ever.

But in Privateer II, in the early game, your space ship has puny weapons which are incapible of doing any damage to attacking pirates. Plus, you can't space-jump until all nearby enemies are destroyed. Each enemy has their own taunt, which they repeat over, and over, and over, and over.

As a practical matter, the game last until you attacked by the first pirate you run across. It doesn't help to do a cheat by setting your ship to "Indestructable" because that only means the attack (and taunting) by the pirate will last forever.
                    I liked this one playing it on a 486 - Slow enough to cope with. Got a bit boring once you had done most of the missions and distress calls and were just looping round trying to boost your score to the very top level.

Then I got a Pentium and couldn't get past the first enemy. If by some chance I actually wiped out the first one another would appear before I could jump to hyperspace. So I got rid of the game.
                    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donegeal
                      For me, it was Tropico (but thankfully it was cheap).
                      Wow... I really liked Tropico. It wasn't wonderful, but it was amusing for a while.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I liked this one playing it on a 486 - Slow enough to cope with. Got a bit boring once you had done most of the missions and distress calls and were just looping round trying to boost your score to the very top level.

Then I got a Pentium and couldn't get past the first enemy. If by some chance I actually wiped out the first one another would appear before I could jump to hyperspace. So I got rid of the game.
                        You should try DOSbox.

Works wonders on all the old dos games to make them function properly.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Has to be Civ II...

That's why I know you lot...
                          Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Originally posted by Spec
                            Warcraft 3

SPec.
                            WC3 is a thing of beauty worth paying for many times over. I cannot imagine how you have reached your conclusion.

Comment

• Here a some reasons why MOO3 sucks:

I still enjoy some of these rants....

...and Tom Chick's preview of the game is simply spot on:

"Football is like chess, only without the dice." Lukas Podolski

Comment

• Originally posted by MOBIUS
                                Has to be Civ II...
                                That's why I know you lot...
                                My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

Working...
                                X