Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the worst game you actually paid for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the worst game you actually paid for?

So what is the single worst game you ever bought? I'd have to say it was Pool of Radiance 2 because it was released WAY to early, was barely playable, and crashed all the time due to the numerous bugs. SSI just did a piss poor job on the game which was so disappointing given how much I loved playing the original Pool of Radiance game on my C64 back in 1989-1990.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Nightmare Creatures.

Comment

Outpost
      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Civilization IV. :vomit:

Comment

It's amazing how some poorly done games end up as fairly nice finished products. I remember buying the Temple of Elemental Evil game when it first came out back in 2003 (I believe that was the date) but found out Atari had so rushed it that the game was barely playable and would crash constantly. True to form Atari released just two small patches before abandoning the game all together.

This was a huge disappointment given I was really looking forward to this game since back in my old AD&D days we played the Temple of Elemental Evil module and I remember it being a nicely balanced module with role playing as well as plenty of hack and slash. Fortunately, after Atari abandoned the game a dedicated group of modders over at co8.org picked up the challenge of polishing Atari's turd and actually turned it into a very nice little RPG. They basically hacked the code and designed their own custom patches to fix many of the bugs Atari left in the game then they modified it to include a lot of stuff originally in the D&D module but which Atari left out. Heck they even added in a new city, new NPC, did voice work so that dozens of NPCs now actually talk instead of just having to read what they say on the screen, and then added in all sorts of new quests and encounters. They basically turned ToEE into a damn good game where as Atari rushed it to market and left it with tons of bugs. Hell, Circle of 8 has even made a new expansion for the game recreating the classic AD&D module Keep on the Borderlands.

I'm really happy I recently decided to reinstall ToEE and looked up the Co8 mod pack. We're talking hundreds of MBs worth of patch code and new stuff which people have added just because they didn't want a classic like ToEE to be left botched by Atari.

Comment

Paladin II (dos)

Calling that a game is kinda stretching it. The other games I bought around that time made up for it though. Civ I and Wizardry 7.

Comment

Trouble. You had dice in a bubble and had to move around a board. The bubble dice was the draw however and interest tended to wane pretty quickly. Though I bought Rockem Sockem Robots around then and that was excellent.
              Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Axis and Allies.

The AI was incredibly bad, it would crash often (especially in multiplayer), and there were even mistakes in the rules implementation that they never corrected.

Sometimes aircraft landed on carriers would just disappear on the following turn, making the game practically unplayable.
                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I bought Outpost. I dont think I played it for more than 10 minutes. So bad.
                  Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Oblivion was kind of a disappointment too. On paper it had everything and the publishers even spent time patching it but something about the game was just kind of boring and repetitive.

Comment

Oblivion was a disappointment for me as well, although it was pretty. It didn't help that everything else in the game leveled up as you did. High level glass armor sure didn't feel that special and rare once you came across bandits wearing it.

Comment

Emergency Rescue: Firefighters The reviews don't do the game justice to how truly horrible it was.
                        "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

outpost was terrible.

the worst game I've ever been given was Star Voyager for the NES. terrible.

Comment

Destiny. It's a civ game where you go from flint knifes to nukes. It's way more complicated than CivX; it's stable, don't crash etc but the interface sucks EXTREMELY.
                            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Hmhh... I think it was called Hell. Maybe it was back in 95? There weren't so many cd-rom games back then but it was on cd and it had cool packaging. Good enough of a reason to buy a game, sure it is!

It SUCKED! It was just some puzzle actually, and it was so dorky and difficult anyway... man I hated that game.
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                              X