Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do people meet people (romantically)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jon has a point, confidence is very, very important. But it's not THE thing. THE thing is, IMO, knowing how to behave yourself - that includes being gentle, polite and caring.

Good macho looks and a muscled body might be nice to get you one-night-sex girls at the discos or whatever, but it's not a good way to get real romantic relationships. However, even if you have below average looks but know how to listen and know how to, well, be a friend and help someone out, you will not have a problem getting into a relationship and being valued highly. Moreover, if you know how to behave around woman (be courteous, don't curse, etc.) then you will also be greatly liked by most random women that you have limited interaction with (co-workers, customers, etc.)
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Az
      well, lucky you. Never happened to me, I am a ****e dancer.
      werd. and your first post was spot on too

the thing about talking to birds in clubs though is that you can't really hear what's been said, which is good because it means that often very little talking gets done, but can be bad when you're being asked 20 questions and you ain't got clue what she's on about. i've had so many conversations which have gone something like this.

her: hi i'm (name), blah blah blah welshness blah blah blah welshness blah....

me: nod and smile, 'yeah/nah/innit', nod and smile

(repeat for 20 minutes)

"The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
        Jon has a point, confidence is very, very important. But it's not THE thing. THE thing is, IMO, knowing how to behave yourself - that includes being gentle, polite and caring.
        nope

I know lots of men who arne't gently, polite, and caring who do fairly good for themselves

(did you not read what I wrote before)

and I am not talking about 1 night stands..

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

You said

men who seem to be pretty bad (like fat, annoying, unattractive, not all that interesting) but who are confident, do OK (or even sometimes well)

So are you implying that confidence helps them even if they have such defining negative feautures as not being able to behave? In female eyes, that's much worse than being unattractive or uninteresting. Maybe I got lucky with knowing the females I do, but they hate, most of all, hypocritical men, rude men and men who can't be good friends. They see inconfidence as a disadvantage, but not as big as the things I mentioned.

Comment

actually, I should add that I do know women who go for men who aren't self confident

but it generally seems like they think that the men in question should be confident (about being attractive, being talented, etc)

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
              You said

men who seem to be pretty bad (like fat, annoying, unattractive, not all that interesting) but who are confident, do OK (or even sometimes well)

So are you implying that confidence helps them even if they have such defining negative feautures as not being able to behave? In female eyes, that's much worse than being unattractive or uninteresting. Maybe I got lucky with knowing the females I do, but they hate, most of all, hypocritical men, rude men and men who can't be good friends. They see inconfidence as a disadvantage, but not as big as the things I mentioned.
              yep, I know plenty of men who don't behave at all, but have women for long legths of time (it is true that they get a lot of women who don't put up when their 'not behaving' for long, but there are also women who do put up with it, or don't see it)

now it is true that most women do care about those things, but that isn't the first thing they look for, because most I know end up dating a number of guys who aren't those three things but do have confidence (and then break up after not too long)

if it was a prime factor, then I would see very different behavior then I do (I have lived in Oregon, Maryland, and Minnesota in the last 14 years)

also, of the number that end up breaking up with a number of guys over them not being polite, caring or gentle; most don't end up with guys who are exceptionally polite, caring or gentle, rather just ones who aren't terrible at those points

in fact, I would go so far to say that I have not known one woman, ever, who has (from what I have seen) dated a man primarily becuase he was polite, gentle, and caring

you seem to know an odd section of women, maybe you are from the philipines?

Jon Miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

It's just that cordiality and caring are valued highly by women in our parts of the world .

To be honest, I don't get women who put up with bad behaviour from their husbands/boyfriends. I don't get women who put up with drinking or such things. Worst of all, physical violence. I'm not talking severe beatings, but even slapping. To hit a woman one says to love is, well, terrible.

now it is true that most women do care about those things, but that isn't the first thing they look for, because most I know end up dating a number of guys who aren't those three things but do have confidence (and then break up after not too long)

Maybe that's the reason they break up? Maybe they do, after all, want a man who can also be a good friend on whose shoulder she can cry if the need be?

Comment

I said it was the reason they broke up

so they do want it, but it isn't what attracts them to guys

it is just what they require to stay in a relationship

the two are different things..

and a guy can not be gentle/polite/caring and still never beat, drink to excess, or slap...

gentle/polite/caring /= beat/drinktoexcess/cheat

Jon Miller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Nope, I'm afraid you've lost me JM...
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

for example, I would say that a guy who always puts down his significant other is not polite/gentle/caring

yet he is not slapping her, cheating on her, nor drinking to excess..

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                        [Lancer mode]

[/Lancer mode]
                        Damn good idea Zkrib! Now why didn't I think of that?
                        Long time member @ Apolyton
                        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

ZK - They have a saying about what the Society for Creative Anachronisms calls The War, in western Pennsylvania. It's a yearly party - camp-out - combat, between the East and Central kingdoms (they don't call them that, but it's been years for me). The saying goes that if you cannot get laid at The War, you cannot get laid anywhere.

While you have plenty of fighter jocks who do well enough with the ladies, other people who do quite well are brewmasters, musicians, and jonglers. I have a pleasant Irish Baritone voice, and that caught my wife's attention. Actually, I was interested in someone slightly older, but like most guys - I'm easy.
                          The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                          And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                          Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                          Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

You'll probably meet her when you are least expecting it.
                            Yeah, that's what I've found to be the case. I wasn't even looking at her, but once we both caught on that we were attracted to each other things took off from there.

Another girl, my longterm girlfriend who I'm no longer with, I met through church groups., It works well for mutual interests and common ideals. As a bonus, she could be very passionate at times, but I just wish she would have let me see a little bit more of that passion.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I met Mrs Horse at happy hour.
                              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I met Mrs Saras at the seaside when I needed to borrow a lighter.
                                Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                                Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                                Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Working...
                                X