Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do people meet people (romantically)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spiffor

Well, you're alone, and you don't seem to enjoy it. Your loneliness affects your self-esteem, as you seem not to feel that you're worth anything to anybody. You're not content with your situation, as you often say that whores are clearly inferior to girlfriends.

A few months ago, you were interested in a girl, but it didn't work out. For the while it lasted, however, you looked like you were having a renaissance, with greater happiness and self esteem. You looked like you had something to strive for.
    Now, it's possible that you didn't feel like that at all. Maybe I was just projecting. But the impression was strong, and I think there was much more than projection in any case.
    wow, closer than I thought possible. Perhaps I reveal too much here.

But right now I'm trying to get my career back on track after a terrible job choice I did last year. No time for girls. That doesn't mean I don't still think of them. Hence this thread. It's kind of hard not to think of girls.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
      Diss should stay single
      thanks for the vote of confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
        wow, closer than I thought possible. Perhaps I reveal too much here.
        Don't mind me, I just have an excessive habit of being a confident IRL, so I often notice sentimental lives, especially difficult ones.

This thread also meets my own interests, as I am single, as I have never taken steps to meet people in the past, and as I want to now.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I also made this thread not to be about me. I'm genuinly curious how other people meet.

You always hear those stories about how old couples meet, and how your parents meet. And it seems to me things are different now days than they were 50 or 75 years ago. We can discuss those differences.

We have moved past a time where people meet at barn dances or school dances. I am curious how effective meeting people over the internet really is. I wonder how many people meet that way.

Comment

I've heard it's very effective, both for casual sex and for long-term relationships. Among our ranks, Ixnay found his fiancée on the Internet, and Self Biased found his on chatrooms IIRC.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

This thread also meets my own interests, as I am single, as I have never taken steps to meet people in the past, and as I want to now.

what happened to your girlfriend?
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Her interest in me faded, and we both went our ways two months ago.
                Since I'm a sucker, I stuck myself in Stuttgart while longing for returning to Paris (I definitely leave Stuttgart on Sept. 30), and I don't allow myself to look for a relationship here, as it would be bound to be short-lived.

She has a new boyfriend for a few days now, and even though it's fundamentally good news, I'm sad. But I'm more sad at myself and at the limitations I stupidly set to myself than at the breakup. Our breakup was due.

Comment

My condolences.

Time to live it large, though. What about your friends from high-school? Do you keep in touch with them?
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Yes I do. However, they're 75% males, and the girls are taken

I think I'll be looking for parties and dinners organized by friends. Since I'm a bit deaf, I can't stand discos.

Comment

• Man, I can't wait to get to the army. Mucho action there.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Dissident
                        thanks for the vote of confidence.
                        AH Apoltyon is the last place to look for people to say nice things about you anyone. That's why it's so popular.

I also made this thread not to be about me. I'm genuinly curious how other people meet.
                        I try to avoid work romances for numerous reasons. I think you'll hear the same 'work, school, hobbies' and now more recently 'the internet' from most people. But you definitely won't meet anyone romantically on Apolyton (that 1 exception to the rule aside, which failed anyway). Although I've considered making a thread of future Apolyton romances and my scientific guesses between couples (and 1 trio)... I'm just not eager enough to gain so many Poly enemies right now.

Comment

• How do people meet people (romantically)?

In my case, it took a power outage in most of the northeast of North America.
                          What?

Comment

• One lady wrote that someone looking for the right person should go on several hundred dates a year. What she meant by that, though, was something as simple as talking to somone on a bus, while evaluating them for follow through. She strongly suggested a very hard, consistant set of initial critieria to evaluate someone by, so you could winnow out those who you should never start going out with
                            I dunno about the merits of that approach, in keeping a consistant set of qualities. My thoughts on that is that there are going to be some things you really like about the person, and other things that you really do not like about them, regardless if they stand up to your criteria.

If you are willing to look outside of your normal set, it can also help you evaluate what do you want most out of a partner.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiffor
                              I've heard it's very effective, both for casual sex and for long-term relationships. Among our ranks, Ixnay found his fiancée on the Internet, and Self Biased found his on chatrooms IIRC.
                              Unfortunately, I've got too much prejudice against people who fish for relationships online to even try.
                              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• But not everyone is fishing for relationships. Sometimes you find one even when you don't expect it.
                                Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Working...
                                X