Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Vatican official told the crowd assembled in St. Peter's square that they did not expect the pope to live through the night.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• this is terrible, I can't turn on the ****ing news because all I see is POPEPOPEPOPEPOPE

okay, he's gonna die, tell us when he does, but this is a media circus for christsake!
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• It occurred to me earlier that the Catholic church could save itself a lot of future uncertainty, anguish and possibly even a crisis of leadership if it were to adopt a rule that Popes should resign at the age of 80.

It is already the rule that only Cardinals below 80 can participate in the conclave that elects a new Pope, so it would seem a natural next step to institute that the pontif step down if he lives to that age.

Comment

• Better that than SCHIAVOSCHIAVOSCHIAVOSCHIAVO. At least the passing of the Pope is actually of significance to more people than just the immediate family.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by Winston
            It occurred to me earlier that the Catholic church could save itself a lot of future uncertainty, anguish and possibly even a crisis of leadership if it were to adopt a rule that Popes should resign at the age of 80.
            That wouldn't be possible, considering the doctrine that the Pope is infallible. Having retired Popes running around, all of which were infallible, could lead to a far worse crisis for the Church.

Also, it's probably a good thing for the Church to have all this "uncertainty" happening. The Pope's passing is already a major spectacle, and soon the media will be devoting its coverage to the election of a new pope. It's a ton of free publicity and probably inspires people to take a much keener interest in the Church than they would otherwise.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Nonsense, anything's possible. How else would they ever change their stance on anything.

Comment

• Leadership for the church isn't quite the same as leadership for a country. There really isn't too much that is time-sensitive enough to warrant such a neat succession plan.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• You have a point there Dan, but one would think that one of the foremost concerns would be that the leader would at least be able to function as such.

Seen over time, medical progress/life sustaining techniques could eventually render any Pope unable to perform his duties most of the time.

Comment

• Finally!
                    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
                      Finally!

Do you wish him ill?

Asmodean
                      Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

• No, I wish him to stop suffering and meet St Peter
                        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

• Well, at least I'll get to say I was a member under Pope John Paul 2.

He'll be missed.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• That sounds a little strange.
                            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• I'm fairly sure he'll be missed.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• I heard on the radio that he died... but apparanlty cable news says he is still alive...

Vampirism?

Seriously, he's dead... he's not dead... bits of him are dead, but other bits aren't... this is what you get with 24/7 news media.
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X