Russian Forces Enter Theatre, End Hostage Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eli
    (concerning the movie of the Spetznaz guys storming the building)

I'm no spec ops expert... But dont you think they were doing it all way too slowly? They were simply walking in.
    It’s good that you don’t know how they did this it means they did it right.
    TV company NTV just said that specnaz used help of Moscow’s “diggers” to enter the building. The diggers explored underground communications that helped specnaz to enter the building later.

My suggestion that video you saw, was made when everything was almost over. 99% it was additional support units who entered already liberated building to evacuate hostages.
    If you noticed they broke glasses to just make escape of hostages easier. It wasn't main battle group I'm 100% sure.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
      The state is nothing but a gang of armed thugs.
      Feel free to continue.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
        Would one of you gentlemen look up the definition of thug, please?
        well:

thug 1. a member of a former group of India that murdered and robbed in the services of Kali 2. A rough. brutal hoodlum, gangster, robber, etc.

Soldier 1. a person serving in an army, member of an army 2.a) an enlisted person, as distinguished from one holding a warrant or commission b) any low ranking member of a mafia family.

(Webster's New World Dictionary, third college edition)

Some possibility for overlap in the two that i see. but if you fell so offended by thug (damn that kali!), fine, just call them killers. Is that better?
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

For whoever said that the Russians were going in too slowly you must know that there were bombs placed throughout the building.

The death toll going up was very tragic... however it still could of been much, much, much worse.
          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

It would be interesting to see what portion of the U.S. Military has actually killed anyone.

Comment

It would be interesting to see what portion of the U.S. Military has actually killed anyone.
              Perhaps about the same percentage of criminals, or member of the Mafia.
              Soldiers are trained to kill, know that they might be asked to kill or have to kill. Wether this actually happens is immaterial to the fact that it is in the job description.

(don't get the impression that I am some sort of pacifist or anti-militarist. I just don't like sugar coating the truth and using clean euphamism to hide the truth, like colateral damage')

Comment

Cut the ****. You're saying that our military are no better than common criminals. I find that disgraceful.

Comment

Originally posted by Serb

OK.

Oh.. you really don't know how those guys are talking.
                  I could provide you with couple of examples... later, if you wish, the funniest examples. j/k and I'm not one of them of course, don't get me wrong. My sister is linguist student and she made research about Russian "mat".
                  Serb

By all means provide the examples, but perhaps by PM rather then in a thread. ;
                  (+1)

Comment

Originally posted by Eli

Yes. They were sleeping and the Russians didnt want to mess with the explosives belts so they just killed them.

it was the best thing to do I guess. what would happen if they woke up while the police were trying to remove the explosives?
                    CSPA

Comment

did some of the terrorists escape?

first they said that some had escaped, then they denied it, and now they're again saying that some escaped.

I think the russian government has a problem with telling the truth even though Russia is supposed to be a democracy. Just like after the Kursk accident.
                      CSPA

Comment

Cut the ****. You're saying that our military are no better than common criminals. I find that disgraceful.
                        Well, tough luck. Your opinions of our military are of no concern to me, as mine should not be to you.

Comment

Lots of people feel that way Monk. I dont take it personal. I'm just thankful that people like them stay away from the military. Everyone is better off for that fact.
                          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Of course they made the shots. No questions about it.
                            This is not a moral issue any more. When the team goes in, it kills. Anyone with army experience, or otherwise lots of interest on the subject knows that they can't start apprehending the 'enemy' as they counter them. Short burst to the chest. That's it.

It's a BIG risk to STOP in the middle of the raid. They have plans, and they can't take those kinds of risks of failing the mission. They go forward, not backward, no stopping. You can't stop for one person, and screw up the whole mission, it's easier and safer to have a rule not stopping. Just too much variables already.

Ok ok so you say some were unconsciouss? How do they know that? What if they're faking? What if they wake up in the second you turn your back on them and they blow their explosives on the waist? You don't have time to start strapping their wrists and take of the explosives, which might go off as they do that.
                            No way, too much risks, and not only for the member of the team, but for the whole team and the mission.

There were.. what 40 or 50 terrorists inside? It's difficult already, the only way to have even remote chance is to take out everyone at first sight.
                            It's sad but it's the only way to do it, and that's how they did it and succeeded. It was victory.

And when you enter a building, take hostages, make threats to kill them.. then you know there's going to be a team ready to kill you. You take the risk and you know it, so you have already accepted that fact.
                            In da butt.
                            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

So why is the US still on Mexico territory?
                              Hey now, we "Bought" the southwest fair and square.
                              Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                                Of course they made the shots. No questions about it.
                                This is not a moral issue any more. When the team goes in, it kills. Anyone with army experience, or otherwise lots of interest on the subject knows that they can't start apprehending the 'enemy' as they counter them. Short burst to the chest. That's it.

It's a BIG risk to STOP in the middle of the raid. They have plans, and they can't take those kinds of risks of failing the mission. They go forward, not backward, no stopping. You can't stop for one person, and screw up the whole mission, it's easier and safer to have a rule not stopping. Just too much variables already.

Ok ok so you say some were unconsciouss? How do they know that? What if they're faking? What if they wake up in the second you turn your back on them and they blow their explosives on the waist? You don't have time to start strapping their wrists and take of the explosives, which might go off as they do that.
                                No way, too much risks, and not only for the member of the team, but for the whole team and the mission.

There were.. what 40 or 50 terrorists inside? It's difficult already, the only way to have even remote chance is to take out everyone at first sight.
                                It's sad but it's the only way to do it, and that's how they did it and succeeded. It was victory.

And when you enter a building, take hostages, make threats to kill them.. then you know there's going to be a team ready to kill you. You take the risk and you know it, so you have already accepted that fact.
                                Pekka, This sounds entirely reasonable to me. However, put this event in Israel and you would have pro-Palestinian posters say something like this:

"First, we must understand that the cause of the "freedoms fighters' brave action at the theater is the illegal and brutal occupation of Chechnya by the Russians. The poor and hopeless Chechnians have a right to resist this illegal and brutal occupation of their lands by whatever means are necessary.

While we do not condone the killing of innocent civilians, we must also say that there would have been no one killed had the Russians simply agreed to end their illegal and brutal occupation of Chechnya. All the civilian deaths are the responsibility of the Russian government.

But finally, the Russians are clearly guilty of war crimes by first gassing into unconsciousness these brave freedom fighters and then shooting them when they didn't promptly surrender. We demand the immediate surrender of all responsible for this gross violation of human rights, up to and including that mass murderering war criminal, Putin.

And finally, our hearts go out to the mothers of these fallen Islamic martyrs. We know they are now receiving their just rewards from Allah in the hereafter."

This kind of talk may seem gross and offensive in this context. I can assure you it is gross and offensive when it is said in the context of the ME as well by pro-Palesinian posters.
                                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Working...
                                X