The War on Poverty: The American Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Even within the UCal system? Does the university have married or family housing?
    Every place in Cal has higher rent except for Visalia, and there is no college there. Only JC.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

Every place in Cal has higher rent except for Visalia, and there is no college there. Only JC.
      What the heck is Jesus Christ doing is Visalia?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
        It is our business to tell you your are a an improvident fool to aquire a family to support (or other large expeses) before you can support them, and a whiney ass to complain about the economic cosquence of your bad choices and weakness, and that you deserve your poverty and misery.
        You just have no idea about me, no should you think that you do. I got married 6 years ago for your information. Not that it's any of your business. All you people want to do is find out something to prove what you already believe anyway. It's pointless to continie conversations along these lines.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
          He didn't lose $5000 gambling, fellas. He started a thread where he contemplated taking $5000 (which he apparently had available) and using it to gamble & make money that way. The premise of the thread was "beating the system." He apparently never did that, so I assume he still has the 5 grand.

Anyway, in order to give any truely useful advice, we would have to know more about your situation, and I honestly don't think that's info you would/should give out to strangers (your income, your wife's income (if any),your rent, where you live, etc).

-Arrian
          ARGH! You don't need to know about me. This isn't about me. It's about American! Get over me already! Dang!

Comment

• Kid,

Ok, fine, it's not about you then. But we're still stuck "debating" generalities, not specifics. And the devil, as they say, is in the details.

So let's get ourselves some actual details: income stats, rent stats, etc, so we can actually evaluate this.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• At least provide us a zipcode so we can get an idea of what kind of neighborhood this is.
              Visit First Cultural Industries
              There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
              Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

• kid

The problem you are facing is the reason I like canada's system a bit better than that of the US. We have a bigger social safety net. While there are many abuses of the system, a family with children would be provided housing and unemployed persons can usually collect benefits while training for a new job. I think its appropriate and fair for society to soften out the rough edges of a free market to essentially provide a minimum standard of living.

As for Kids personal choices, I agree that he sounds whiny. People don't have a RIGHT to a college education. Also, rent increases suck but they are part of life. But with two adults ( both able bodied ?) you should easily have the capability to earn a few hundred extra dollars a month. When I was in college I worked in a fast food joint and was a computer lab assistant. The fast food job ate up my Friday night but got me some discounted pizza while the lab job was an easy way to get paid to study.

In Canada there are programs to help college students. There are government loans, bursaries, outright grants etc and then banks are also usually willing to lend some money to folks in programs with good prospects. Is none of this avaialble in California?
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

It's not my responsibility. I've done everything possible to get out of poverty. I've worked, saved, trained and kissed a lot of ass.

You've only assumed that I'm inferior to you.

I only assume you earn less or have less money . I assume no inferiority. Some people have more money than others; it does not make them "better" in any way.

Also . . . What is your definition of "poverty"? From what I see, you have an internet connection, $5000 at least, a two-adult family unit AND ample time to come on the internet and argue these things.

Personally I have little sympathy for someone that appears to spend a couple of hours a day on 'poly claiming how poor they are.
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Personally I have little sympathy for someone that appears to spend a couple of hours a day on 'poly claiming how poor they are.

Bingo... and that's the main problem. Instead of say a 10 hour a week job, he is posting for hours and hours on Poly every day. If he was out on the street and didn't have time to post on Poly, we'd feel much more sympathy.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

What responsibility is it of an individual when his or her rent increases?
                      Cost increases are a reality, and a predictable reality. The individual's responsibility is to take appropriate action.
                      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber
                        People don't have a RIGHT to a college education.
                        But we should have one.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                          Personally I have little sympathy for someone that appears to spend a couple of hours a day on 'poly claiming how poor they are.

Bingo... and that's the main problem. Instead of say a 10 hour a week job, he is posting for hours and hours on Poly every day. If he was out on the street and didn't have time to post on Poly, we'd feel much more sympathy.
                          Not necessarily. It is possible to multitask with a PC you know. Do your homework on one screen while keeping Poly open in another.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Prices don't naturally rise. There is planning. Rent increases are planned.
                            Usually it's a response to increasing costs, or to market conditions. Getting a raise, cutting your expenses, moving, and other actions on your part are also planned, not naturally occuring, so WTF is your point?
                            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• I was listening to Michael Medved yesterday and he claimed a stat I have not been able to confirm. He claimed social mobility within the US is unparraleled within the known world. Namely given a population within or below poverty line after 10 years 80% of that population are no longer below poverty line. Whats more statistically speaking of the population it is far more likely that they will be in the higher(est) tax brackets than below poverty line. Again I don't know of what study these claims originate and so can not prove or disprove.
                              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• You know, this thread kinda reminds me of a conversation I had with my one hippie friend (she hates it when I call her that, but she spent five years following the remnents of the Dead, Phish, and other such bands, what else do I call her?). She said there's no reason for people to go hungry in this country when you can easily raid a grocery store's dumpster for food.
                                Last edited by chequita guevara; September 28, 2004, 11:49.

Comment

Working...
                                X