The War on Poverty: The American Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kidicious

Something like that. There is a much bigger problem in SF where they are removing the rent controls, and it's much harder on the poor than here. A lot of people profit from higher rent, but in actuality, they aren't profiting by doing anything productive. It's nothing but and income transfer - to the well of and sort of well off from the not so well off like us and the poor. Hell, I paid 1200 a month in Ventura. I made enough to pay it, but I wasn't any happier about it. I knew it was unfair. I worked my but off to live there, while some fat cat made of with my income for nothing really.
    Why did you live in Ventura? If you made enough to pay $1200 a month in rent, why didn't you live somewhere cheaper and save up to buy a place?
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Who cares? It's an insignificant non-issue.
      I believe social mobility was exactly the issue since you wanted to divert the subject from your own personal hell.
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• The fundamental disconnect is that kid doesn't see that capital should have any value, therefore the concept of an owner making money by renting is immoral. He doesn't understand that if people cannot make money from their capital, there will be no housing to rent.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Originally posted by GhengisFarb
          Yeah, they do. Even military personnel make more money as time moves on. If they can't get promoted there's a point at which the US Military cuts its losses and pays them a bonus to get the heck out.
          Military always do. Did I say they didn't? You should go back and look at my post.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

I believe social mobility was exactly the issue since you wanted to divert the subject from your own personal hell.
            Just because you aren't talking about mean doesn't mean you are bringing up any significant issues. Social Mobility has nothing to do with rent increases that result in an increase in the transfer of income from the poor to the rich.

Comment

• Originally posted by pchang
              The fundamental disconnect is that kid doesn't see that capital should have any value, therefore the concept of an owner making money by renting is immoral. He doesn't understand that if people cannot make money from their capital, there will be no housing to rent.
              It's just sad that you can't think of a solution to this injustice. You're not very creative.

Comment

Military always do. Did I say they didn't? You should go back and look at my post.
                Make you should go back and read my post, you make the false assumption that people don't make more money over time.

Although I suppose that's true for people who get in accidents and become vegetables for the rest of their lives.............

And retirees on social security.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki

Why did you live in Ventura? If you made enough to pay $1200 a month in rent, why didn't you live somewhere cheaper and save up to buy a place?
                  Why don't you stop asking me personal questions with the hope of making me look inferior to you?

Comment

• Originally posted by GhengisFarb

Make you should go back and read my post, you make the false assumption that people don't make more money over time.

Although I suppose that's true for people who get in accidents and become vegetables for the rest of their lives.............

And retirees on social security.

No. I said they don't always make more income over time. You said they did.

Comment

• Funny how the plight of the renter (i.e. you) is more of a concern than the plight of the owner who gets evicted from his home via governmental condemnation and seizure.

Smacks of hypocracy if you ask me.
                      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Why don't you stop asking me personal questions with the hope of making me look inferior to you?
                        Because your whole argument seems to rest upon the idea that no one should ever have to worry about money because the price of everything (or is it just rent?) should be fixed well below market levels.

If you really want to steer the subject in another direction, why don't YOU try to explain why people like yourself shouldn't ever have to make a decision that has economic consequences?

And why don't you drop this whole "inferior" crap? You're the only one who seems to think in those terms - should we just assume you think yourself inferior? All I've seen anyone post is that life is full of choices, and you can't have everything for free.
                        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

It's just sad that you can't think of a solution to this injustice. You're not very creative.
                          Me and most of the other people on this thread aren't nearly creative enough to see that this is an injustice.
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
                            Funny how the plight of the renter (i.e. you) is more of a concern than the plight of the owner who gets evicted from his home via governmental condemnation and seizure.

Smacks of hypocracy if you ask me.
                            Oh please. Of course it's more of a concern. Property owners are much better off, and are fully compensated for their inconvenience. Now if renters were compensated for their loss then I would consider the two equal.

Comment

• Originally posted by pchang

Me and most of the other people on this thread aren't nearly creative enough to see that this is an injustice.
                              Actually you are just prejudice. Southern slave owners did not see slavery as an injustice either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki

Because your whole argument seems to rest upon the idea that no one should ever have to worry about money because the price of everything (or is it just rent?) should be fixed well below market levels.
                                So? What does that have to do with your personal opinion of me?
                                If you really want to steer the subject in another direction, why don't YOU try to explain why people like yourself shouldn't ever have to make a decision that has economic consequences?
                                Why would I do that when I don't believe that?
                                And why don't you drop this whole "inferior" crap? You're the only one who seems to think in those terms - should we just assume you think yourself inferior? All I've seen anyone post is that life is full of choices, and you can't have everything for free.
                                I will not drop it. It's obvious. And I believe in defending myself, not just letting some prejudice person paint his own picture of me.

Comment

Working...
                                X