No announcement yet.

The War on Poverty: The American Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You don't even know how long I'm here. It's not nearly that often, and it certainly isn't when I have something more productive to do.

You are whining about increase in your rent. And then you are spending at least a few hours on this site. You can't find something productive like getting another job to do?

And che's comment that you can have Poly on one screen and homework in the other... when you are posting on Poly, you aren't doing your homework at the same time. It's still a recreational activity and when you are whining about not having enough money, it can be cut out to get other work.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• So ****ing what Imran. You're no better than I and you spend way more time here than I. The time I spend here on Poly has nothing to do with my poverty.

How the **** does working another job solve the injustice of paying more rent anyway? It doesn't, but that doesn't matter to you, because all you care about it judging me when you have absolutely no idea about me.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• You're no better than I and you spend way more time here than I.

I don't whine about not being able to afford the rent.

How the **** does working another job solve the injustice of paying more rent anyway?

Injustice of paying more rent! Sorry, you don't own the property, someone else does. They decide to let you live there if you pay them some money. They think someone else can give them more money. Injustice... hah!
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• I'm oppressed.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            You're no better than I and you spend way more time here than I.

I don't whine about not being able to afford the rent.
            No. You just whin about a lot of meaningless crap that only concerns you.
            How the **** does working another job solve the injustice of paying more rent anyway?

Injustice of paying more rent! Sorry, you don't own the property, someone else does. They decide to let you live there if you pay them some money. They think someone else can give them more money. Injustice... hah!
            No. I don't own the property. That another injustice. Two injustices don't make a justice. :P

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
              What?

Actually, I just indicated a willingness to discuss the problem (which, I *think* is the issue of rent vs. income, and how rent increases effect rentors). But not without hard information. Vague statements like "it sucks when your rent goes up" are not very useful if one actually wants to take a problem seriously and attempt to evaluate and address it.

Frankly, I don't want to look up income levels vs. rent costs (if that info is even available). So screw it. You believe what you believe and I'll believe what I believe, with neither one of us basing our opinions on anything other than personal experience + underlying assumptions - aka our ideologies.

-Arrian
              I'm sorry, but I'm stating facts. If you want to dispute the fact that rents are going up while property owners make off with bandats then go ahead.

Comment

• No. I don't own the property. That another injustice.

Waaah! Waaah! I want everything for nothing! Waaah!

Go out and do something about your plight for a change.

I leave you with this: I don't care about your problems. Other people who have had economic problems did things that maybe were below them in order to succeed in life. Apparently you don't think that way and would rather have the government provide for you instead of actually doing something. And for that you deserve my contempt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Japher
                  Most of what I make goes to rent, but that is what happens when you live where I do.

Fresno has relatively low cost of living, but since the tech collapse has been inflated as all the dot com'ers moved out of silicon valley, dumping their million dollar homes onto ppl who can actually afford them, and buying up real estate in the Fresno and Reno areas. Fresno has seen real estate prices go up almost 100% in the past 4 years, and ppl are getting greedy.

I can see why Kid is having a problem.

It's all them damn illegals living in Fresno taking up all the good jobs!
                  Yes. There is actually a two fold problem. The Hmong refugees are coming here from Thialand. I think there is like 20,000 of them coming here. The will all need low end housing. The problem is that low end housing is disapearing here, because of rising property values.

The real problem though is that no one gives a **** about the poor people, and the poor people don't have any ability to do anything about it, except to try and share apartments, but the land owners don't even let us do that. If you get kicked out of your pad you can't go and live with someone else unless they own the property.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    Go out and do something about your plight for a change.
                    I'm not responsible for my rent increase, nor am I able to do anything about it. Get it through your thick head and deal with it!

Comment

• So, are you thinking there should be rent control in Fresno? Or, should there at least be rent control for students who are on a set budget for a certain amount of time... I can see that being a good idea.
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                        You know, this thread kinda reminds me of a conversation I had with my one hippie friend (she hates it when I call her that, but she spent five years following the remnents of the Dead, Phish, and other such bands, what else do I call her?). She said there's no reason for people to go hungry in this country when you can easily raid a grocery store's dumpster for food.
                        Sounds like your friend voted for Reagan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Japher
                          So, are you thinking there should be rent control in Fresno? Or, should there at least be rent control for students who are on a set budget for a certain amount of time... I can see that being a good idea.
                          Something like that. There is a much bigger problem in SF where they are removing the rent controls, and it's much harder on the poor than here. A lot of people profit from higher rent, but in actuality, they aren't profiting by doing anything productive. It's nothing but and income transfer - to the well of and sort of well off from the not so well off like us and the poor. Hell, I paid 1200 a month in Ventura. I made enough to pay it, but I wasn't any happier about it. I knew it was unfair. I worked my but off to live there, while some fat cat made of with my income for nothing really.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

WTF!? Yeah, I'm going to kill that greedy bastard. That's a solution. Like it? I didn't think so.
                            If you're going to work at the same minimum wage job all your life and never do well enough to get a raise, then you're probably going to end up living out of a cardboard box. Or a van down by the river.

Prices go up, rent goes up, everywhere. People earn more money, they move on to higher wages. They grow older, that's life. Welcome to reality.

Comment

• No GF. Rent goes up. That much is certain. People don't always make more money. Your reality is screwed up. Maybe you need to live more.

Comment

• Yeah, they do. Even military personnel make more money as time moves on. If they can't get promoted there's a point at which the US Military cuts its losses and pays them a bonus to get the heck out.

Comment

Working...
                                X