Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

remember those teenage abstinence pledges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You think that if people use a combination of three methods, they'd do worse than using just one? This is sig material!
    More likelihood for user error.

Feel free to quote me, but also cite what I say about increasing complexity.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• The emphasis on abstinence in Uganda’s program is unique. In other nations with high HIV infections, such as Zimbabwe and Botswana, condoms have been promoted as the answer to ending the AIDS crisis. In Botswana, 38 percent of pregnant women were HIV positive last year, contrasted with 6.2 percent of Ugandan women.
      Ignoring this passage, Boris?

just because one is an intern, does not make the argument untenable.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Even then that would be a very tenuous support for an argument.
        First of all, I only talk about teenagers, so many of the dependents will be young children.

Secondly, is one being a dependent necessarily show the responsibility of both parents?

Third, one is too many, according to my argument.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpencerH

An interesting warning about cloning
          I was thinking more about trying to separate siamese twins....
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• The experience of the victim is indeed a bad point for a selfish lover
            So experience does not ensure that one will enjoy sex.

Look at it from my perspective. Would I not be the virgin, vunerable to others with more selfish motivations, if I were to follow the advice of Che, and others in this thread?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
              In both countries there is a belief that sleeping with a virgin will cure you of AIDs. I fail to see how this is an indictment of condoms.

[b]Ben,[/i] good lovers don't seek out virgins.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Ben, good lovers don't seek out virgins.
                No, I suppose they just wait for the virgins to come by themselves.

I fail to see how this is an indictment of condoms.
                It sure ain't an endorsement.

Comment

Nothing in that passage or in the entire article makes reference to condoms, when being used, as "not working."

Condoms DO work to prevent STD transmission and pregnancies, and they work most of the time. Asserting otherwise is both false and highly irresponsible.
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• The advice of Che and others is not for you to have sex. It is for you to learn and teach others about all aspects of sex. This would include condoms, birth control pills, vaginal foams, sponges, etc. including abstinence.
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• condoms have been promoted as the answer to ending the AIDS crisis. In Botswana, 38 percent of pregnant women were HIV positive last year, contrasted with 6.2 percent of Ugandan women.

Uganda is the ONLY nation to reduce AIDS transmission in Africa, and they reject condoms? I don't think that's a coincidence.

Condoms may reduce incidence, but they also increase risky behavior.

Comment

More likelihood for user error.

Feel free to quote me, but also cite what I say about increasing complexity.
                        Sorry, but this is just another silly assertion on your part. Any statistical evidence that people who use multiple methods concurrently have higher rates of STD transmission or pregnancies over those who use just one method?

Under this logic, the more safety gear a person wears at a construction site, the more prone to injury he is because of "increased complexity."
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• It is for you to learn and teach others about all aspects of sex. This would include condoms, birth control pills, vaginal foams, sponges, etc. including abstinence.
                          Yes, I must admit that approach is effective. It's like my science classes, where we discuss theories and why they were discarded in favour of ones that work.

So we would discuss condoms first, and then abstinence.

Comment

• Under this logic, the more safety gear a person wears at a construction site, the more prone to injury he is because of "increased complexity."
                            Depends also on how likely each item is to protect the user and how hard each one is to use.

Construction sites require hardhats and boots, so I fail to see how two items are nearly as complex as four.

Secondly, if one forgets a hardhat, it is immediately obvious to his workmates if he forgets the hat. The same is not true for birth control. A man has no way of knowing whether or not his partner has in fact used birth control.

Comment

First of all, I only talk about teenagers, so many of the dependents will be young children.

Secondly, is one being a dependent necessarily show the responsibility of both parents?

Third, one is too many, according to my argument.
                              1) According to the survey of dependants in the US Census, there would be 24.7 million teenage dependants.

2) Its clear evidence of financial care-taking (your words) of those dependants by parents. You asked for evidence... now... Quid pro quo.

3) What do you mean by "according to my argument"?

Here was the flow of the argument...

Ben> Maturity in my eyes often has little to do with age. I've seen teenagers take care of their parents.

Che> That is not a normal or natural situation. This occurs only where the parents are unable or unwilling to fullfill their rolls.

Ben> Not what should happen, but happens far too often these days.

I'm asking you to show significant numbers of these things happening... not in the Benaverse, but in demonstrable statistical form. Its not a problem or a "normal or natural situation" if you can only point to rare anecdotes as foundation.

Quid pro quo, Ben. Put up, or give up.

Comment

HELLO BEN, EARTH TO BEN!

If we follow the logic of your own source vis a vi condoms, then what is ebign said is that an emphasis on condom uage in Africa fails due to misinformation and ignorance when it comes to condoms, and thus condom based education is likely to underpreform-which is THE SAME AS THE ORIGINAL POINT ON ABSTINANCE PLEDGES. Abstinance does have a 100% effectiveness-IF people do it correctly and understand what abstinance actually asks of them. If they do not, they will screw up and get adverse results.
                                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                                X