This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Yes. Marriage originates in the enslavement of women in order to ensure that men can ensure their offsrping really are theirs. At some point, as with mst things, religion clouded up the real, practical origins of the institution, and made it dogma.

Both marriage and organized religion originated about the same time, the neolithic revolution.
    Hm,
    I always thought about it as being some kind of Ritual for the couple to receive Blessings from God (or the God responsible for Fertility) to give them lots of healthy offspring.

But I agree, from the standpoint of ethology it makes more sense to assume that marriage evolved as a means to ensure that all offspring are from the same male.
    After all it is one of the most important factors in the behavior of most male animals to ensure, that as much offspring as possible carry their genes.
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch

I'm not denying any rights.
      yes yes I didn't mean a right like the right to vote. question is still valid tho. the convenience of the legal consequence isnt a very convincing argument in this arena.

it would have helped obviously if u would not have just one lined me and answered the real part of my post too tho. good faith arguing and all.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara Yes. Marriage originates in the enslavement of women in order to ensure that men can ensure their offsrping really are theirs. At some point, as with mst things, religion clouded up the real, practical origins of the institution, and made it dogma.

Both marriage and organized religion originated about the same time, the neolithic revolution.

I am not sure if your premise holds water when looked at from a cross-cultural or a cross-species perspective, but one would think that you are overestimating the knowledge available in the Neolithic. Such an enslavement would be rooted in short-term sex, not long-term reproduction.
        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

There are problems with polygamy. Legal and otherwise. I like the idea of civil union for 2, marriage (considered relative) for as many as you like. Besides, solution = open marriage.
          Of course, pooftie rights are taken for granted in this post.
          Brought to you by Firelad, AKA King of the Fairies

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Nothing imaginary about God.

Is to, infinity!

Secondly, didn't you admit that 80% of the US is religious? Religion is the norm at least in American society.

Norm and normal are two different things. Most people have psychological disorders. This is not a normal thing. It is disfunctional, even if it the norm.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
              Originally posted by chegitz guevara Yes. Marriage originates in the enslavement of women in order to ensure that men can ensure their offsrping really are theirs. At some point, as with mst things, religion clouded up the real, practical origins of the institution, and made it dogma.

I am not sure if your premise holds water when looked at from a cross-cultural or a cross-species perspective, but one would think that you are overestimating the knowledge available in the Neolithic. Such an enslavement would be rooted in short-term sex, not long-term reproduction.

From a cross-species perspective it seem to bolster my case. Most mammals limit their breeding to an alpha male, female, or both. There are exceptions with solitary mamals, like bears and such as well as animals like dolphins and bonbos who will boink anything that moves practically.

Cross-culturally it's harder for me to say, as I haven't studied all of them. However, as far as arising in the neolithic, that's when anthropologists are pretty sure it arose. That's the point at which animal husbandry allows men to realize that men have something to do with reproduction (as opposed to sex just being fun). It is also when wealth begins to accumulate and fathers want to be able to pass the wealth on to their children. In order to do so, they needed to know who their children were, hence the enslavement of women.

At least that's the current theory. Could be wrong.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

What's interesting is that the percentage of americans who support full marriage rights is actually greater than the percentage of people from elsewhere with the same belief.
                "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is nothing sacred about the drive thru wedding ministered by Elvisthat only ends in divorce the next day. People are far too ignorant to put two and two together. There were newstories about high divorce rates, and how that was tearing down the fmaily which "one of the most important institutions in America!". But now marriage is this great sacred bond, and it always lasts forever, and is never cheapened or violated by black widows or golddiggers, or anything like that!
                  Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                  Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Is to, infinity!
                    OMG!

PWNED!!!11!!!

Norm and normal are two different things. Most people have psychological disorders. This is not a normal thing. It is disfunctional, even if it the norm.
                    Right. So 80% of the folks of America have a psychological disorder.

Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

No -- just you.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Marriage is religious and should stay that way. Laws should be for civil unions and should treat everyone the same. The two should not be mixed.
                        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Naturally, I was only including the religious people who think that marriage must be defined as being between a female and male humans. That, IIRC, is under 50%.
                          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

80% is the percentage of Christians. You people aren't the only religious people in America, you know. 95% of Americans are religious. Anyway, 100% of Americans have a psychological disorder or some kind.It's just that 95% of them believe in invisible friends in addition to any other problems they might have.

You believe in something which can't be seen, touched, felt, measured, which exists outside time and space, and yet someone how influences reality, all cause someone told you it exists. Yeah, I call that a neurosis.

Comment

• Gay marriage is something I'm undecided on.
                              ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                              ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

You believe in something which can't be seen, touched, felt, measured, which exists outside time and space, and yet someone how influences reality, all cause someone told you it exists. Yeah, I call that a neurosis.
                                Bennie refuses to respect gays, and you refuse to respect non-bigoted religious people -- it's hard for me to pick which one is more evil.
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X