This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gay Marriage views at Apolyton

There are other threads to discuss this, but how about a poll?
    I live in USA: Heterosexual Marriage Only
    7.22%
    I live in USA: Homosexual Civil Unions Only
    5.00%
    I live in USA: Full Homosexual Marriage Rights
    25.00%
    I live in USA: #3 + Further Extend Rights to Polygamy
    9.44%
    I live in USA: #1 only and extending rights to Polygamy
    0.00%
    I live in USA: Extend Marriage to Bannanas
    2.22%
    Elsewhere: Heterosexual Marriage Only
    8.89%
    Elsewhere: Homosexual Civil Unions Only
    6.11%
    Elsewhere: Full Homosexual Marriage Rights
    25.56%
    Elsewhere: #9 + Further Extend Rights to Polygamy
    7.22%
    Elsewhere: #7 only and extending rights to Polygamy
    0.56%
    Elsewhere: Extend Marriage to Bannanas
    2.78%
    "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

I live in USA: Homosexual Civil Unions Only

Foreigners. And I'm the one that gets called a redneck.
    Last edited by SlowwHand; February 25, 2004, 18:05.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'd keep marriage between man and a women. and hand out civil union rights to any loving committed and consenting adults.

as far I haven't seen an intellectually valid redefining of marriage that lets gay ppl in but no1 else.

Comment

I haven't seen any intellectually valid reason we should let 5,000 year old sheep hearders tell us what to do.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

thus far i haven't seen a reason not to allow full gay marriage rights.
          B♭3

Comment

I see BK voted.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
              I haven't seen any intellectually valid reason we should let 5,000 year old sheep hearders tell us what to do.
              we could have an argument, or a war of quips. obviously u much prefer the latter. but I recommend the former every once in a while.

Comment

Actually, he hasn't. Doesn't he live in Canada?

Comment

Originally posted by yavoon

we could have an argument, or a war of quips. obviously u much prefer the latter. but I recommend the former every once in a while.
                  I definately prefer a war of quips. I did the argument thing in another thread. I refuse to be serious all or even most of the time. Life's too short.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Given that marriage is supposed to be kept for hetero's only "'cause of the kids", I would support a ban on gay marriage if we can pass a law forcing the dissolution of any marriage under the following conditions:

1. The woman hits menopause.
                    2. The kids move out of the house.
                    3. One of the spouses is determined to be infertile.
                    4. There are no children within a reasonable time frame... say, 2 years?

And I'll be nice and say "whichever comes later."
                    Last edited by JohnT; February 25, 2004, 18:15.

Comment

Gay marriage and Polygamy is ok to me.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The fourth option. Once you've done away with it for one group, I see no reason to allow Judeo-Christian bias to enter into the argument.
                        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

All legal rights and benefits associated with marriage should be electable to whomever you choose. In a legal sense isn't marriage just a contract between two consenting participants?

As far as ceremonies and weddings if you want a public display of commitment then by all means do it, and do it as many times and with as many people as you want.
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I would prefer the government not involve itself in recognizing marriages at all.

As examples:

If an issue like giving birth and/or raising children is deemed benefitial to society, then parents should be given the tax breaks based directly on whether or not they are raising children instead of being tied to something that is a seperate issue. If relationship stability is deemed beneficial to society, then maybe tax breaks based on how long you've been together.

Just awarding tax breaks to married couples who may or may not accomplish the things the tax breaks are meant to reward (whatever they are), while other couples who don't get married may or may not accomplish those same things seems nonsensical to me.

Of the options present, "I live in USA: #3 + Further Extend Rights to Polygamy" would be my view. I live in rural Utah, and know first hand that not having state recognition of Polygamist marriages doesn't stop them from living together, marrying themselves in their own religious ways. All it really does is allow the 'wives' to collect welfare as if they were single mothers, ignoring the fact that all this money is going to one man building his compound. At least if the state recognized those marriages, then it could also recognize that the 'family' isn't a no-income or one-income family.

Comment

As long as they don't marry me, let them.
                              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Working...
                              X