This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Crunch
    All legal rights and benefits associated with marriage should be electable to whomever you choose. In a legal sense isn't marriage just a contract between two consenting participants?

As far as ceremonies and weddings if you want a public display of commitment then by all means do it, and do it as many times and with as many people as you want.
    why just 2? I hardly think the number 2 is less arbitrary than "man and women"

Comment

andorians require groups of 4 to marry and mate.
      B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by yavoon

why just 2? I hardly think the number 2 is less arbitrary than "man and women"
        I never said just two. Reread my post.

There are of course tax and other legal complications with extending rights and benefits currently associated with marriage to more than one other person.

For example, here in the UK, if you could marry as many people as you liked you could conceivably negate, in its entirety, inheritance tax.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I'm with Imran.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

If Marriage is a union between 1 man and 1 woman, then why can people remarry? Isn't that some sort of Heavenly Polygmy when the last person finally dies?
            "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

No. When you get to heaven you're all married to god. So saith Rabbi Jeshua.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch

I never said just two. Reread my post.

There are of course tax and other legal complications with extending rights and benefits currently associated with marriage to more than one other person.

For example, here in the UK, if you could marry as many people as you liked you could conceivably negate, in its entirety, inheritance tax.
                lotsa ppl sue over "why other ppl marry." especially when they get divorced. thats just one more thing to sue over.

Comment

"Elsewhere: Homosexual Civil Unions Only"
                  Marriage is a religious ceremony, IMHO. Civil Unions should be a non-religious alternative, with rights from the state. No-one should be able to deny the rights of two people to be recognised as a couple, however no-one should be able to force a religion to accept something it sees as an abomination.
                  Smile
                  For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                  But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

the government should be fully removed from all aspects of marriage.

Comment

Gay polygamy.
                      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                      -Bokonon

Comment

I voted #4: Full homosexual rights + polygamy.

Comment

Originally posted by yavoon

lotsa ppl sue over "why other ppl marry." especially when they get divorced. thats just one more thing to sue over.
                          Let me put it another way, if you don't limit the number of people you can marry you essentially reduce the value of the institution from a legal sense. I would suggest therefore that you remove the legal institution and replace it with electable rights, which you can elect to anyone you choose whether you are romantically, physically or otherwise involved with them or not. Where rights are not exclusive there would be no limit on how many people you choose to give them to.
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Should gay people be allowed to get divorced?

Comment

What I really want is for marriage to be a religious thing and completely removed from the political arena. I want marriage laws to be rewritten in a gender neutral civil union type of way. That way, religions can say to gays "no, you cannot be married within our church", but gays would still get the same legal rights and benefits that married people get today (tax, insurance, decision making, survivor stuff, etc.).
                              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Bananas have rights too!

Comment

Working...
                                X