Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2K Games Announces Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Warlords.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zoid

So you mean that atrocities are not really atrocities until they are discovered?

IMO Hitler was no more evil than Stalin or Mao. It´s just that the utter defeat of Nazi-Germany eradicated all the followers and sycophants... It has nothing to do with atrocities committed, it´s a question of PC and popularity.
    No, I don't mean that atrocities aren't really atrocities until they are discovered.

I'm simply attempting to explain why Hitler has been villified more than Stalin or Mao have. I think it has something to do with the United States fighting him directly in a prolonged war and then uncovering his mass murders in his country.

I'm not sure though. Any other explanations for why Hitler is so hated when Stalin and Mao were just as evil and killed more people (granted they had larger populations to work with)?
    The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

• Originally posted by Nacht
      Stalin does
      Well, Hitler doesn't. If it wasn't for his incessant interference with the miiltary strategies of his commanders, there's a good (or at least much better) chance Germany would've won WW2. If you look past the fact he's one of the worst human beings that ever lived, he was a pretty proficient politician: good public speaker, very charismatic, good at taking advantage of circumstances beyond his control (e.g. the Reichstag fire). After all, he turned an in theory perfectly healthy democracy into a one-party dictatorship without breaking any laws or resorting to violence (that came later) -- you can say what you want of him, but that takes some skill. But he had the military leadership abilities of a small cantaloupe
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

• Doesn't matter whether he was a good general ('warlord') or not. What matters is that he is there to represent the Nazis in a World War II scenario. And besides, maybe we shouldn't have Stalin in because the USSR got defeated by America by 1991? Maybe we should judge the worth of all civs in history by the knowledge we have of them with the benefit of hindsight?

Unless, of course, Stalin and Churchill are simply new leaders and not designed for any scenarios.

Comment

• Originally posted by Son of David
          What matters is that he is there to represent the Nazis in a World War II scenario.
          As far as we know, there's no such scenario. See the news (or Nikolai's post earlier).

Comment

• It would be weak to include Churchill and Stalin, Stalin perticularly, and leave out Hitler.
            Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ninot
              It would be weak to include Churchill and Stalin, Stalin perticularly, and leave out Hitler.
              At the risk of this getting OT, Churchill was no saint, either.

I don't think it's Hitler alone that would cause problems for Firaxis. Nazi symbols are outlawed in Germany, so if the patch became available in Germany, the legal problems could be an unwanted headache.

Karl Donitz has my vote. Heil Donitz!

(that last point was, of course, meant in jest.)
              "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
              "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

• Personally, i think that leaving out hitler in a ww2 would be really dumb. There have have been countless films, games, books, etc about him. Also, it would be silly because the scenario wouldnt be much of a scenario.

Comment

• Originally posted by Locutus

Well, Hitler doesn't.
                  I think Nacht was being sarcastic.
                  "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                  "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                  The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

• The other thing is that, if Hitler was included, they might not be allowed to sell the game in Germany; they have some very strict laws there about such things.

Comment

• Only if the game could be classified as Nazi propaganda AFAIK pictures of Hitler aren´t forbidden...
                      I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

• Originally posted by Locutus
                        Well, Hitler doesn't.
                        I meant of course that Stalin wasn't much of a military genius either. Less so I think. And he is in the game. You can't deny the early war successes under Hitler and the incessant interference is more something of the late war period.

Originally posted by Locutus
                        he was a pretty proficient politician
                        More like a strange politician. His biggest asset was that none of his political opponents knew how to handle such a man. Not the Muncheners in the 1920's, nor von Papen in the early 30's or Chamberlain in the late 30's.

an in theory perfectly healthy democracy into a one-party dictatorship
                        Germany at that time was very, very far removed from a perfectly healthy democracy.

without breaking any laws or resorting to violence (that came later)
                        You must be joking

But this is all rather off topic

Comment

• The Wolfenstein games are banned in Germany. I'm not up to speed on exactly what is and isn't allowed, but I do know there's a big gray area. Germany is a big market, so if your game is in that gray area you could potentially lose a lot of money as developer/publisher -- few companies will want to take that risk. Swastikas are definitely illegal and references to Nazi names or institutions usually are as well, so Hitler would definitely fall in the gray area, if it's not outright illegal.

Edit:

Originally posted by Nacht
                          But this is all rather off topic
                          Yes it is.

Comment

• Just deactivate the picture for the German release. I'm sure it can't be that hard.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Nacht
                              More like a strange politician. His biggest asset was that none of his political opponents knew how to handle such a man. Not the Muncheners in the 1920's, nor von Papen in the early 30's or Chamberlain in the late 30's.
                              Being a good politician means more than an ability to deal with your opponents. You can't deny that Hitler had an uncanny ability to motivate the general population. Just look at some of the crowd reactions in the film footage of some of his speeches. In that way, he was a brilliant politician. He took a fragmented society and in a very short period of time turned it into a well organized and integrated "machine" with a particularly singleminded purpose. If his goals would have been honourable and moral instead of evil, he could have accomplished some great things for Germany, and Europe in general.

Comment

• Lots of American games are renamed in Britain to be politically correct. Star Wars: Rebellion was renamed "Star Wars: Supremacy" so as not to advocate rebellion. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was renamed "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" because ninjas are assassins.

I don't see why they couldn't just disconnect some piece of code for Hitler's face and have Gerhard Schroeder's come up instead ...

Comment

Working...
                                X