Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2K Games Announces Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Warlords.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I take it 'Vassal State' will make the civ a permanent slave of yours, and it will hand over gold, technologies, maps, and delcare war on other civs whenever you tell it to.

That is a very nice new concept and one that has been sorely needed. It will mean you can now crush an early opponent, turn them into a vassal state, and take all their technologies off them. Whereas before, they would only give you one or two technologies even if they had 1 city left facing your horde of 30 keshiks.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrboo123

Heres a thought. How about a "charismatic" trait? This would basecily be a propaganda trait, where your people would be more happy, have less war unhappyness, and it would be harder for your cities to flip. With this trait, I think Hitler could be in the game.
      You read my mind! As well you get a bonus in diplomatic relations.

Comment

• It would be cool if you could make a civ a vassal state for a service, like a protection racket--

Louis XIV: Protect me from these awful Viking marauders!
        Bismarck: Then be my vassal and give me all your gold and technologies!

Though vassalage by conquest is a viable option too --

Hatshepsut: So you're saying that if I give you all my money and do exactly as you say, you won't kill me?
        Nebuchadnezzar: Yes.

Though vassals should be able to rebel too, if they have a viable ally to support them.

Genghis Khan: You haven't declared war on Russia yet, and you missed your last three payments!
        Qin Shi Huang: Screw you, Genghis! Tokugawa and I are coming to kick your @#$^&* halfway back to Karakorum!

It will be interesting to see how the system is implemented. I think it is a wonderful idea.
        Last edited by Alexander I; March 19, 2006, 12:05.
        The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
        "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
        "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
        The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

• Originally posted by Willem

You read my mind! As well you get a bonus in diplomatic relations.
          Example:

Suleiman (with Charisma): Give me all your gold and techs.
          Nebuchadnezzar (without): Okay, if I could at least see your world maps?
          Suleiman: You don't need to see my world maps (waves hand strangely).
          Nebuchadnezzar: I don't need to see your world maps.
          Suleiman: Give me all your gold and techs.
          Nebuchadnezzar: Here are all my gold and techs, and all my uranium for good measure, sir.
          Suleiman: You can go about your business. Move along, move along.
          Vercingetorix: Dude, why'd you give him all your tech? Now he'll nuke Churchill!!!
          Nebuchadnezzar: I... don't .. know? He was just so... charismatic! And that turban!
          Vercingetorix: Charisma can have a strong effect on the weak minded. Hey, give me all your furs and wines!
          Nebuchadnezzar: Here are all my furs and wines.
          Vercingetorix: (Chuckles).
          "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
          "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
          The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexander01

Charismatic, huh. That's a good idea. The guy with all the allies...
            Yes, really good idea for a trait.
            And is real leader trait, not Civ3-like trait in disguise.

P.S.
            It would be a real loss if something like this is not in the expansion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexander01
              It would be cool if you could make a civ a vassal state for a service, like a protection racket-- ...
              It would be cool if vassals could be freed if original "master" civ got defeated.

Comment

• Originally posted by player1

It would be cool if vassals could be freed if original "master" civ got defeated.
                um.

duh?

Comment

• That sounds a lot stronger then most traits, though...

If they made a charismatic leader trait, perhaps it'd be balanced if it was something moderate, like "automatic +2 to diplomacy rating" or something. Any stronger then that, it wouldn't be fair...

Comment

• Such a trait's definitely outside of the possible options - it would be meaningless in MP.
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver
                      Such a trait's definitely outside of the possible options - it would be meaningless in MP.
                      Not necessarily. If you had a +1 or 2 happiness in every city plus less chance of your cities culture flipping, it would still be useful in MP. It could even increase your chances of flipping another civ's cities. It could be a very powerful trait if done right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yosho
                        If they made a charismatic leader trait, perhaps it'd be balanced if it was something moderate, like "automatic +2 to diplomacy rating" or something. Any stronger then that, it wouldn't be fair...
                        That would have to be the way it was handled in diplomacy. Having bonuses for each area would be rather cumbersome. Simply having a modest increase in your overall rating though should be fairly easy to accomplish.

PS: Another area it could have an effect is shortening the time period for other civs to forget past indiscretions.

Comment

• Most traits are severely curbed in multiplayer anyway. There's a couple of passive civ bonuses and the starting conditions, but mostly the traits affect how the AI behaves.

A human player with an expansionistic or commercial trait civ is not necessarily going to act that way.

Comment

• Originally posted by E
                            SDK?

sometime later ??

is there a price mentioned anywhere?

how about nuclear vassals

anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

• Originally posted by Locutus

Gah, I knew I messed that up but forgot to edit my post. I was confused, it's 6 new scenarios, not 6 new civs.

long live Locutus
                              anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

• Originally posted by Locutus
                                Main news is that the XP will have 2 new leadertraits. Let the speculation begin
                                Are there any buildings left that are not cheap for some existing trait and are not appearing too late in the game?

Comment

Working...
                                X