Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2K Games Announces Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Warlords.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alexander01

Ther Huns would be very difficult, as they didn't actually found cities. Don't get me wrong, they're fun to play, but since the game is Civilization, they'd really have to revamp the engine to have playable Huns.
    Well, to be fair, the Mongles didn't really found cities either, at least not under Gengas Khan, they mostly just either took them or destroyed them.

Comment

• Is this a world record for a CIV expansion release????

It seems awful soon to me.
      *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Ther Huns would be very difficult, as they didn't actually found cities. Don't get me wrong, they're fun to play, but since the game is Civilization, they'd really have to revamp the engine to have playable Huns.

And Carthaginians were only called barbarians by the Romans during the Punic Wars as a smear campaign. Everybody in the Mediterranean knew they wer a Phoenician colony, and everybody wanted a conection to that trade network.

P.S. Your anti-Babylonian talk frightens me.
        Yeah, there better not be any anti-Babylonians showing their face around here, especially when my country is working so hard to restore the culture and prosperity of the Tigris-Euphrates region.

By the way, you can play as the Huns in the "Ancient Med" mod, which is being adapted for Civ4, but I think probably plays better on Civ3. In the Civ3 version, you do have problems on higher difficulty levels and with "raging barbarians" at your back and other "barb" civs in the game, like Goths and Scythians, because you can't recreate the Huns' true mobility, when you are tied to cities and resources, as anybody is in a Civ game. They also borrowed a lot of modern Mongol "city" names for them, as there is no documentation for Hun "cities." I had much the same problem playing them in the late Roman scenario of Civ3 "Conquests." I suppose in a conventional Civ game, they would be no worse than anyone else, though it is funny when they build Wonders like The Parthenon. They probably have a cool Rider UU.

Originally posted by Emperor Fabulous

Since this game is called "Warlords", and the three already revealed Civs (Celts, Carthage, Vikings) were all "barbarians" to the "civilized" world, I feel comfortable predicting that the other three aren't "major" civilizations.
        And what's this about Vikings as barbarians? Who staffed the Varangian Guard for the Byzantine Emperors,Dude? Who gave Russia and Greenland their name. Who founded the ruling houses of France and England? Whose runes are those on Led Zepplin IV, anyway? (Actually, I really don't know this last ; but it makes a good argument.) Ever hear of Normans? They even ran Sicily for awhile, when Don Corleone was still pulling his donkey! (No pun intended.) The "barbarians" were those squat little people in the mud huts, who had to fork over food, women and gold when the Berserkers came to call.
        Last edited by Generaldoktor; March 30, 2006, 15:39.
        You will soon feel the wrath of my myriad swordsmen!

Comment

• Vikings as barbarians? Maybe it's partly due to the fact they were proud heathens who for the longest time stubbornly refused to convert? Or maybe they just scared the crap out of the more 'civilized' folk, whom they very often raided? Or maybe it was the cool horny hats! Whatever, I can't wait to play 'em.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
            Since this game is called "Warlords", and the three already revealed Civs (Celts, Carthage, Vikings) were all "barbarians" to the "civilized" world, I feel comfortable predicting that the other three aren't "major" civilizations.
            Carthaginians were "barbarians" to the "civilized" world?

Romans vilified them, since they were their main political opponents for dominance in the Mediterranean, but noone considered them barbarians. Carthage was founded by Greek colonists about the same time as Syracus and was about as civilized as Romans.
            The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
            - Frank Herbert

Comment

• Originally posted by Martinus
              Carthage was founded by Greek colonists about the same time as Syracus and was about as civilized as Romans.
              Phoenician colonists
              Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Comment

• Many of the Celtic tribes weren't "barbarians" either. Some lived in cities and had a flourishing culture. They simply didn't have a written language to communicate it to the world.
                The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
                "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Many of the Celtic tribes weren't "barbarians" either. Some lived in cities and had a flourishing culture.
                  More to the point, Celts didn't unite themselves to form a country & government, so they were absorbed into other countries as those expanded their rule.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaybe

More to the point, Celts didn't unite themselves to form a country & government, so they were absorbed into other countries as those expanded their rule.
                    That's the inherent problem with having a Celtic civ. Are you talking about the La Tene culture, the Gauls, ancient Britons, Scots, Picts, Irish, Welsh, Bretons, Cornish, or what?

I assume it's the Gauls and Britons combined, based on the leader choices in the past (Cunobelin, Boudicca, Brennus), but with capitals like Cardiff and Entremont? Weird.

Give me Vercingetorix (leader) and Alesia (capital), please.
                    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

• You know, there's a little something gnawing at me saying we won't get any good new Warlords information until E3.

Pray it's not true.

Comment

• Post #8 of this thread:

Originally posted by Locutus
                        It's still early day... Remember how long we had to wait for civ4.com?

I'm gonna do what I did last time and say we're not really gonna much see details until around E3. I was right once, I bet I'm right again
                        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

• Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                          I am of the Horde.

Comment

• Here's an idea:

Winston Churchill will not become a vassal state in Warlords.

"We shall never surrender..."

Comment

• Somebody remember the information minister of iraqui?

"There are no American infidels in Baghdad. Never!"
                              "My feelings - as usual - we will slaughter them all"
                              "Our initial assessment is that they will all die"
                              "They're coming to surrender or be burned in their tanks."
                              "We have them surrounded in their tanks"
                              "I triple guarantee you, there are no American soldiers in Baghdad."
                              "We will kill them all........most of them."
                              "We have destroyed 50 tanks today. That 5-ohhh tanks" [while holding up his fingers]
                              "We are winning!"
                              Attached Files
                              If ten thousand of your men die in front of the walls of an enemy city, order the other ten thousands men to climb their bodies and attack the city.

Comment

• Charles Bronson, I'm not sure I understand your post...

Comment

Working...
                                X