No announcement yet.

Do you Wii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Steel have been reviewed by IGN(UK), they gave 8/10.

Here's the thing though - Red Steel's actually much, much better than either we thought or you might have been let to believe. Let's get those negatives out the way first then, because it's not like you probably haven't read enough of them by now. Firstly, it's a mess from a visual perspective - for every sumptuous-looking level (of which the game has more than its fair share), there's an astonishing affront to your eyeballs. For every lusciously-detailed exterior, rich with foliage and extraneous environmental detail, there's an N64-era corridor, devoid of anything but a smeared texture, ugly geometry and - if you're very lucky - a badly rendered box in the corner....

It should be pretty obvious by now that Red Steel isn’t without its flaws – and, given the game’s breakneck development time, that shouldn’t be much of a surprise to anyone. Entirely dismissing the game based on its imperfections or failure to innovate would be missing the point though – unlike traditional first-person shooters where content is king, Red Steel is all about showcasing Nintendo’s new control system. The game itself is a competent, if unexceptional, playground existing almost entirely for you to test out your new toys. Where things truly shine is in the Wiimote’s ability to draw you into the action in wholly new, exciting ways – and for all its cookie-cutter qualities, Red Steel is a blast to play as a result. At this point in time, it’s practically a cliché to harp on about the Wii’s potential to immerse you in games like never before – but, on the strength of Red Steel, it’s a marketing line that’s actually close to the truth. With titles like Metroid Prime 3 on the horizon, it’s only a matter of time before we see as much emphasis placed on content as has been placed on immersion here. Certainly, Red Steel isn’t the best game in the world but it’s undoubtedly an amazing demonstration of what Nintendo’s little beast can offer – and surely, that’s what launch titles are all about?
    bleh

Comment

Unlike traditional first-person shooters where content is king, Red Steel is all about showcasing Nintendo’s new control system.

What a load of crap. It's a glorified tech demo for the controller and that's all -- and even then, most reviewers panned the controls as they're implemented in the game.

This is what you get when you let fanboys review games.

This isn't a free tech demo or a budget game. That needs to be taken into account, and the score knocked down by 3 points or so accordingly.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
        Unlike traditional first-person shooters where content is king, Red Steel is all about showcasing Nintendo�s new control system.

What a load of crap. It's a glorified tech demo for the controller and that's all -- and even then, most reviewers panned the controls as they're implemented in the game.

This is what you get when you let fanboys review games.

This isn't a free tech demo or a budget game. That needs to be taken into account, and the score knocked down by 3 points or so accordingly.
        you played the games?
        bleh

Comment

I've read many reviews of it, none of which sound like IGN's. Why would I buy a game that is clearly vacuous of actual gameplay?

Gimmicky control schemes does not gameplay make.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

you played the games?
            Asher doesn't need to play the games; he's read reviews that support his preconceived notions (and ignores the rest). Why would he want to do a foolish thing like actually try the games?
            I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

To try the game it'd involve having one to try.

There are no Wiis to play at any of the stores around here. They're worried about people waving their arms around wildly: taking up lots of space or hurting other customers.

The SO is getting one for Christmas so we'll see then. But unless Red Steel comes as a pack-in, it won't get played.

And you guys are inconceivably stupid if you're honestly going to play the card of "you have to play it to know if it's bad" -- the vast majority of reviews slam the game. IGN UK's reviews are notoriously off, also.

Comment

There are no Wiis to play at any of the stores around here. They're worried about people waving their arms around wildly: taking up lots of space or hurting other customers.
                A-ha so you tried! In my expert opinion you are redirecting your hostility at not being able to wii at the wii itself. It's textbook.

Comment

Or maybe worried about people stealing the controllers, which are wireless? Stop being such a prat

Comment

Stop being such a prat
                    Fanboys, by their definition, have to be prats. If they weren't, we wouldn't call them fanboys. We'd call them... uh... people?
                    I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

I played excite truck at the local gamestop. Wasn't a big deal, the clerk asked me if I wanted to try and he held onto my license until i was finished.

I'm sorry if the stores in Canada are less trusting than a store at Indy's ghetto mall.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
                        I played excite truck at the local gamestop. Wasn't a big deal, the clerk asked me if I wanted to try and he held onto my license until i was finished.

I'm sorry if the stores in Canada are less trusting than a store at Indy's ghetto mall.
                        Considering the policy was allegedly passed down by Best Buy corporate...in that they did not get any Kiosks for that reason...

Can you tell me which country Best Buy is based out of?

Comment

Ars Technica review of the Wii. They liked it.

Nintendo throws its hat in the next-generation console ring with the release …

The Good:

* Tiny and clean design
                          * Small, unobtrusive sensor bar is easy to place
                          * Controllers feel like quality electronics
                          * Brand new game ideas and implementation
                          * Easy and intuitive online shopping
                          * $35-$50 games! $250 system! Affordable gaming!
                          * Enough units to at least try to satisfy demand
                          * GameCube ports allow true backwards compatibility
                          * Wii Sports? You mean we actually get a game with our system?

The Bad:

* Last-gen graphics
                          * The Wiimote's speaker is tinny, can get annoying
                          * Rumble is a touch on the weak side
                          * Many online features not yet available
                          * Won't make use of your HDTV
                          * Sensor bar could have a slightly longer cord
                          * You can only add pictures via SD cards. Why can't I use the USB ports on the back?

The Ugly:

* It's five in the morning and you're in your boxers flailing away at the television screen
                          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

* Won't make use of your HDTV

/me looks at his TV

What HDTV?

Comment

It doesn't even use your SDTV properly.

Games on the Wii look worse than the Xbox 1. Take Far Cry, for example...it came out a long time ago on Xbox 1 and that version still looks better than the one coming to the Wii.

Comment

Take Far Cry, for example...it came out a long time ago on Xbox 1 and that version still looks better than the one coming to the Wii.

I haven't played either of those, so I would be interested in seeing some side by side comparison pictures.
                                Last edited by vovan; November 28, 2006, 11:46.
                                XBox Live: VovanSim
                                xbox.com (login required)
                                Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                                Spore page

Comment

Working...
                                X