1.662 -- mia dolphins 1972
    1.646 -- lan rams     1977
    1.625 -- min vikings  1973
    1.624 -- den broncos  1977
    1.624 -- pit steelers 1972
    1.600 -- cle browns   1994
    1.560 -- oak raiders  1973
    1.557 -- mia dolphins 1971
    Just how good was that Vikings defense from 1969-1971? 3 of the top 10 defensive teams.
    Last edited by Ben Kenobi; March 4, 2009, 11:36.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Code:
      L 1-1 @ Washington Redskins   6 10 
      L 3-2 @ Buffalo Bills         0  3 
      L 4-3   Minnesota Vikings     7 14 
      L 4-4   San Francisco 49ers   3 10  
      L 5-5 @ New Orleans Saints   20 21 
      L 6-6   New England Patriots 10 16 
      L 6-7 @ Los Angeles Rams      7 23
      As for that poor Falcon's team, they were expected to go 10-4, but were snakebitten. Losses of 4,3,7,7,1,6 and then finally, 16.

One of the biggest differentials ever, at -2.5
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Purple People Eaters
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• That was an amazing defense, vicious and talented. I saw a lot of it.

I remain amazed that they managed to avoid winning any Super Bowls. (OK, there's always the Joe Kapp issue, being a great example of someone who excelled in Canada but couldn't cut it in the NFL. Great leader, poor passer. But I digress...)
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Kapp threw off the wrong foot. It seemed like his standard form.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• So of the 25 best defenses, only 8 of them won Super Bowls. Does this call into question the adage that defense wins games?
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• SB VIII Dolphins 24, s 7

Larry Csonka, MVP, rushed for a record 146 yds.

s lost the next year to the Steelers, 16-6. Franco Harris, MVP, rushed for record 158 yds.

In SB XI s were crushed by the Raiders, 32-14, giving up a record 429 yds of offense (record 288 in the first half).

Purple People Eaters didn't stand up so well against the AFC.

SB IV, in pre-football memory time, Chiefs 23, s 7. Held them to 3 FGs early, but gave up a TD before the half, and a TD in the 3rd. Len Dawson MVP, 12-17 for 142 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT. Amazing.
                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                  So of the 25 best defenses, only 8 of them won Super Bowls. Does this call into question the adage that defense wins games?

The adage is that defense wins championships. And just because the SB winners didn't always have the best D that year, doesn't mean that they weren't very good.
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                  Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                  One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• Originally posted by Lord Avalon View Post
                    The adage is that defense wins championships. And just because the SB winners didn't always have the best D that year, doesn't mean that they weren't very good.
                    See, I gotta agree, this is almost not the same agrument that Ben Kenobi uses to blindly,blatantly and Babylon-esquely defend the great football team last year that didnt make it to the Super Bowl, those crazy California kids, San Diego Chargers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• Plus, it's often about only having a better defense than your SB opponent

Comment

• See, I gotta agree, this is almost not the same agrument that Ben Kenobi uses to blindly,blatantly and Babylon-esquely defend the great football team last year that didnt make it to the Super Bowl, those crazy California kids, San Diego Chargers
                        That defense was unnecessary? No, I think I've argued just the opposite. As good as their offense, they needed their defense to step up like the Colts'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                          That defense was unnecessary? No, I think I've argued just the opposite. As good as their offense, they needed their defense to step up like the Colts'.
                          My point Ben, humor still in mind, was your hollowed arguement of which you and no one else I have seen here, state San Diego Chargers were the second best team in football.

For the record, i am an N C Stae Wolfpack fan, watched Chuck Amato coach Rivers through his college cvareer at raleigh, so i am fan, not a fanboy of Phillip Rivers.

I joke with you because i like you, your a nice fella, just wildly insanely and misguided in your Man-Love of those San Diego Chargers.

Just having some fun old friend, fun, nothing more

Comment

• That I did say.

I only wish they had beaten the Steelers and made it to the big game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post

That I did say.

I only wish they had beaten the Steelers and made it to the big game.
                              Me too

For it would have much more enjoyable to poke those folks here in the ribs about picking on you than having to rib my friend and Brother Ben Kenobi

I do hope San Diego comes big next year, more fodder to combat those that would oppress your foosball knowledge my good man!

Comment

• ESPN is reporting that the COWBOYS HAVE CUT T.O.!!
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X