This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    Oh, btw, did any of us mention that Housh signed with Seattle today? An interesting destination, to say the least.
    Really, interesting indeed

New city, better results perhaps?
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• First he needs someone who can get it to him.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Imran:
        1. Follow Kuci's rule, please.
        2. Yes, JR mentioned it.
        3. I think it's a good move - a team with a good QB that needs a star WR. Not sure their line or RB situation is good enough to have much success, but at least they're only in the NFC West... only one team to worry about there.
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
          First he needs someone who can get it to him.
          Umm, Matt Hasselbeck is not a bad QB. Not a superstar, but with a competent line and a competent RB he's quite passable.

Comment

• Outside of the fact that he gets beat to hell and back every year?
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• Hence the need for a competent line to protect the guy throwing the ball to him...

Comment

• Honestly I think that's part of the problem today. Too many coaches run "west coast offenses" thinking that means "throw the ball to wide receivers in timing routes". It doesn't. It means throw the ball QUICKLY to wide receivers in timing routes. It means take two steps back and then throw the ball into the outstretched hands of the WR who's taken a few steps up the field and then turned 30 to 90 degrees in and then kept running until sometime after the ball arrived in his hands precisely placed. Otherwise the QB ends up sitting on the ground eating grass.

Sadly, it takes a certain kind of QB to run that. And a certain type of WR. Not sure if Housh is that type of WR... but I guess we'll see

Comment

• Housh is cashing in, and good for him, sez I.
                  (That's code for: Thank God he didn't land in Minnesota!)
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• They don't have a QB there either. What difference would it make?
                    I mean, you know. To a Chicago fan it might seem like they do, but they don't, to the rest of us.

Comment

• With AP as a threat, Minnesota doesn't need a great QB, and Rosenfels will be a significant upgrade. I'm just saying, they would be much scarier with both Berrian and TJ Housh to spread the field.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• True. If they can get the ball to him, maybe he can make a break.

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                          Sadly, it takes a certain kind of QB to run that. And a certain type of WR. Not sure if Housh is that type of WR... but I guess we'll see
                          But hey, it's Greg Knapp offense... yes, the same guy who tried to force a West Coast-type offense on Michael Vick in Atlanta and JaMarcus Russell in Oakland. And both times, it got the head coach fired.

Interestingly enough, it was the same Jim More the younger who got fired in Atlanta.

Fool me once.....

Comment

• The Tampa Bay Buccaneers, retooling offensively after missing the playoffs, signed free agent running back Derrick Ward to a four-year, $17 million contract Tuesday.

The former New York Giants backup rushed for 1,025 yards and two touchdowns in 2008 while sharing playing time with Brandon Jacobs, who also gained over 1,000 yards. The Bucs cleared room in the backfield for the 28-year-old when they released Warrick Dunn last week.

In five pro seasons, Ward has rushed for 1,750 yards and five TDs. He also has 69 receptions for 576 yards and one TD.

Tampa Bay entered the free agent signing period about $61 million beneath the salary cap after cutting Dunn, linebackers Derrick Brooks and Cato June and receivers Ike Hilliard and Joey Galloway.

Under new coach Raheem Morris, the club has made improving the offense a priority. The Bucs placed the franchise tag on receiver Antonio Bryant, assuring him a $9.88 million salary next season, and last weekend re-signed free agent receiver Michael Clayton to a five-year deal worth up to $26 million.

The addition of a proven back such as Ward is essential because starter Earnest Graham is coming off an injury that sidelined him the second half of 2008 and Carnell "Cadillac" Williams has suffered serious knee injuries each of the past two seasons.

Ward entered the NFL as a seventh-round draft pick of the New York Jets in 2004. His 5.6 yards per carry average last season was the best among players with at least 100 carries, and he and Jacobs became just the fifth set of teammates to gain 1,000 yards on the ground in the same season.

"I'm happy for Derrick. They got a good player. Obviously you hate to lose a good player like Derrick. It's a good move by Tampa Bay," New York general manager Jerry Reese said.

Resimark, perhaps a small ray of hope sir

Comment

• Search for missing boaters suspended

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- The Coast Guard called off the search Tuesday for two NFL players and a third man lost at sea off the Florida coast after their boat capsized during a fishing trip.

Officials said the search would end at sundown, with Oakland Raiders linebacker Marquis Cooper, free-agent defensive lineman Corey Smith, who played with the Detroit Lions last season, and former South Florida player William Bleakley still missing in the rough, chilly seas.

"We're extremely confident that if there are any survivors on the surface of the water that we would have found them," said Coast Guard Capt. Timothy Close, who added that searchers scoured the equivalent of 24,000 square miles over more than 60 hours.

Hopes were raised Monday when crews found a fourth man who was aboard, 24-year-old former South Florida player Nick Schuyler, who managed to stay with the boat after it overturned Saturday evening.

Bleakley's father said he felt comfortable with the Coast Guard's decision and that his expectations lowered after only one survivor was found.

"I think they did everything that they could," Robert Bleakley said of the Coast Guard. "I think they were not to be found."

Close said searchers found a cooler and a life jacket 16 miles southeast of the boat, but no other signs of the men.

Prospects for survival became more grim throughout the day, with Cooper's father saying the Coast Guard told him privately officials were losing hope because so much time had passed and hypothermia risks were high. Coast Guard officials said publicly that they were still hopeful.

"I think the families understood that we put in a tremendous effort," Close said. "Any search and rescue case we have to stop is disappointing."

Family and friends embraced and sobbed outside the Coast Guard station shortly before the announcement. They left without talking with reporters.

"I'm sure that I'll speak of Will like he's still with us for a long time," Robert Bleakley said later of his son. "He'll be an inspiration for me for a long time. He always has been. I told everybody, I call him my hero."

Lions running back Kevin Smith called Corey Smith "a good, quiet guy, who always put in an honest day's work."

Kevin Smith, a Florida native, said he has been fishing off the coast as far as the men were in boats smaller, the same size and larger than the 21-foot watercraft that capsized.

"The No. 1 thing when you're out there is, you have to respect the water," he said. "I know those guys had safety vests. I'm trying not to even think about it. That's a tough way to go."

The Lions released a statement Tuesday, saying, "Today's news is a sobering reminder about how truly precious and fragile life can be. We will continue to pray for a miracle, though we fully understand and respect the decision of the Coast Guard.

"We were thrilled yesterday with the news of Nick's rescue, and it gave all of us hope that Corey, Will and Marquis would also be found alive. While we still have that hope, we have begun to cope with the grim reality of this sad and tragic situation."

The four friends left Clearwater Pass early Saturday in calm weather, but heavy winds picked up through the day and the seas got heavy, with waves of 7 feet and higher, peaking at 15 feet on Sunday. A relative alerted the Coast Guard early Sunday after the men did not return as expected. The Coast Guard said it did not receive a distress signal.

Close said some family members asked about continuing the search on their own, which he discouraged but said the Coast Guard wouldn't prevent it.

"I can't emphasize this enough," Close said. "We do not want any additional search and rescue cases resulting from people who are outside their experience level."

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission may be heading out Wednesday to recover the boat, which was still on the water.

Schuyler told the Coast Guard the boat was anchored when it capsized. The four friends were able to put on life vests and huddle together, but eventually became separated, he said.

Schuyler was dehydrated and showing symptoms of hypothermia, but his condition was upgraded to fair on Tuesday. Hospital officials said he didn't want to talk to the media.

The Coast Guard hadn't had more detailed conversations with Schuyler "due to his physical and medical condition," Close said.

Cooper, who is 26 and owns the boat, was selected in the third round of the 2004 NFL draft by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers out of Washington. He played 26 games for the Bucs in his first two pro seasons, then led a nomadic NFL existence.

Cooper and Smith, 29, became friends when they were teammates at Tampa Bay. Smith signed with the Bucs as an undrafted free agent in 2002, and spent last season with Detroit before becoming a free agent. The former North Carolina State standout recorded 42 tackles (28 solo), three sacks and 10 special teams tackles in 2008, his best NFL season.

Bleakley, a 25-year-old former tight end from Crystal River, Fla., was on the USF football team in 2004 and 2005. He had one reception for 13 yards in his career, which also included some time on special teams.
                              The Coast Guard called off the search Tuesday for two NFL players and a third man lost at sea off the Florida coast after their boat capsized during a fishing trip.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• Lord Avalon

I just read that, it has to be heartbreaking for family and friends

Very sad indeed

Comment

Working...
                                X