This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowboys cut safety Roy Williams

Cowboys should have given him a biscuit and moved him to LB. Parcells said he was one biscuit from being a LB.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
      Oh, as for NE, TO is too young for them. He needs to spend a couple years in Oakland first.
      Yea, DAL wouldn't trade him for a 4th round pick

Comment

• ProFootballTalk.com has an "Anti-T.O." list on it's homepage, which it is constantly updating with teams who have declared publicly that they have no interest in signing him. As of an hour or so ago, this was the list:

Please note that this only reflects teams that already have said that they’re not interested:

The Dallas Cowboys. (Duh.)

The New York Giants.

The Washington Redskins.

The Baltimore Ravens.

The San Francisco 49ers.

The Minnesota Vikings.

The Atlanta Falcons.

The Cleveland Browns.

Here are the teams that likely will join the list soon:

The Philadelphia Eagles.

The Miami Dolphins.
        Tennesse Titans have gone public with a "no interest' statement as well...
        Last edited by -Jrabbit; March 5, 2009, 15:50.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Falcons
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I wonder what the odds are that the Bears replace Mike Brown with Roy Williams... that would be a very interesting move, if they blitz him regularly, I think.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• The Washington Redskins.

Damn straight. And it better stay that way, or I will be wearing Dan Snyder's intestines as a headdress.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Roy Williams' biggest complaint was the defensive scheme that wouldn't allow him up on the line of scrimmage. Sounds like LB material, not Safety, to me.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• Williams started out with great promise. But he has lost a couple steps. And he is a shockingly poor tackler. That makes him... Adam Archuleta.

I don't want to see him in Chicago.
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Lesson from a tragedy: Have an emergency beacon on your boat
                    By ERIC SHARP • FREE PRESS OUTDOORS WRITER • March 4, 2009

CLEARWATER, Fla. — “If they had had an EPIRB, they’d have been back here eating breakfast together Sunday morning.”

That haunting assessment came from Clearwater diving guide Mike Miller. It’s just one lesson boaters can take from the mistakes that left NFL players Marquis Cooper and Corey Smith, and former University of South Florida player Will Bleakley missing after their 21-foot boat overturned in 14-foot seas in the Gulf of Mexico on Saturday.

A fourth man, Nick Schuyler, one of Bleakley’s USF teammates, was rescued by the U.S. Coast Guard 38 miles offshore after clinging to the overturned boat for more than 40 hours in rough weather.

If the boat had carried a $300 Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon, an automatic distress signal would have been sent to a satellite network that would have directed a rescue helicopter to them, most likely within a couple of hours.

Cooper had told family members that he planned to fish 30-50 miles offshore. Fishing for most grouper species is closed in March, but black grouper are still legal, and the best place to catch them is in water over 100 feet deep. Along this part of Florida’s west coast, that means running out at least 30 miles to areas that also hold good numbers of snapper and amberjack.

But motoring 30 to 50 miles offshore in boat that size with a forecast of winds 10-20 knots and 4-to-6 foot seas by afternoon was beyond dangerous. Out that far, they had no way to communicate if they got in trouble.

A small boat’s VHF marine radio has a maximum effective range of about 20 miles, and their cell phones would have cut out about 15 miles off the beach, so there was no way to call the Coast Guard.

Even if they have been able to use the radio to send a Mayday call to other boats (which they couldn’t, because their radio was underwater), on a day like that, no other boats had risked running out where they did.

Like many skippers who run far offshore, Miller’s “Tanks A Lot” dive boat carries an EPIRB, a device that sends an emergency signal to a satellite network monitored by both the U.S. and Russian governments. EPIRBs can be triggered manually and go off automatically if a boat capsizes or the unit is submerged (they’re carried by airplanes, too). The EPIRB signal includes the latitude and longitude of the device accurate to within 100 yards.

Or they could have carried a Personal Locator Beacon, a similar device that uses a commercial satellite network and allows boaters, pilots or hikers to call for help or let family and friends know where they are. Basic EPIRBs and PLBs start at under $200; sophisticated models run about $500.

The U.S. Coast Guard gave up the search for the three missing men at sundown Tuesday, although a private search has been mounted. Coast Guard searchers had found a life jacket and a cooler, and the chances of the men being alive after three days in 63-68 degree water were considered to be nil.

There’s a sailor’s adage: “Never leave the boat until the boat leaves you.” Staying with the boat, and managing to climb onto the overturned hull and get out of the water, undoubtedly kept Schuyler alive until he was spotted by the Coast Guard Cutter “Tornado” on Monday afternoon. A 21-foot boat is a much bigger target for searchers than a person floating in a life vest, and his elevated position made him more visible and got him out of 63-68-degree water that steals body heat 10 times faster than air.

What these young men did — going out with the potential for rough weather and going out without any communication — was foolish, especially from the perspective of anglers who’ve been around a lot longer.

But I suspect that most experienced outdoors people can think of things they did that were just as risky. In a discussion of this story with a 50-something friend, he recalled that when he was in his 20s he’d go 20 miles offshore on Lake Michigan in a 17-foot boat without a radio. Asked if he’d do that today, he answered, “No way!” And I have to admit I’ve done things that were just as foolish, or even more so. My friend and I were just lucky to get away with it.

On Saturday, my wife, Susan, and I happened to be in Clearwater, where I was going fishing after we visited a friend. But the winds already were kicking up so I passed and decided to see what Sunday brought.

The answer was, “Far worse.” The gulf was covered with big whitecaps, and visibility sometimes dropped to 200 yards as 25-knot winds lashed the shore with rainsqualls.

When we got home that evening, television news was carrying the story that four men were missing in a small boat well out in that maelstrom.

All I could think was, “God help them.”

A few hundred dollars invested in a beacon might have saved them from their own stupidity.
                    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- The Denver Broncos' offseason spending spree continued as the team brought in a backup quarterback, agreeing to a deal with Chris Simms on Thursday.

The Broncos have been the most active team throughout free agency, adding 12 seasoned veterans or career backups since the signing period began a week ago.

Simms will likely step in for Patrick Ramsey, who served as Jay Cutler's backup for the last two seasons.

The Broncos recently said Cutler is not on the trading block after his name was brought up in discussions for Matt Cassel, upsetting Denver's Pro Bowl quarterback.

New coach Josh McDaniels and Cutler have a meeting scheduled for next week to try to patch up their strained relationship.

The 28-year-old Simms was signed by Tennessee last season, sitting on the Titans' roster as the No. 3 quarterback behind Kerry Collins and Vince Young. He was signed by the Titans as an insurance policy after Young sprained his left knee in the opener.

Simms got into one game for Tennessee on Dec. 28 at Indianapolis, completing 1-of-2 passes for 7 yards. It was his first action since having his spleen removed after taking a series of hits in a loss to Carolina on Sept. 24, 2006, as the quarterback of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Simms was a third-round pick by Tampa Bay in 2003.

The Bucs rode the strong left arm of Simms into the playoffs in 2005 as he threw for 2,035 yards, 10 touchdowns and seven interceptions in 11 games.

In 2006, Simms started the first three games before injuring his spleen in the Carolina game. He had a splenectomy hours after finishing the game.

The 6-foot-4, 220-pound Simms is the son of Phil Simms, the 1987 Super Bowl MVP with the New York Giants.

Chris Simms had a successful career at Texas, becoming the first Longhorns quarterback to lead the team to consecutive 10-win seasons. His 26 career wins as the starting quarterback ranks him second in Longhorns history.

He found a home
                      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• Upshaw's widow: Vincent is not 'right candidate' to fill NFLPA job

By Don Banks, SI.com

Terri Upshaw (inset) says she isn't endorsing any particular candidate of the four vying to replace her late husband Gene as NFLPA executive director.
                        Bill Frakes/SI

As the contentious process of electing a new executive director of the NFL Players Association nears its conclusion in less than two weeks, Terri Upshaw, the widow of longtime NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw, told SI.com on Thursday that she questions whether former union president Troy Vincent would be "the right candidate'' to fill the powerful job her husband held for 25 years before his death in August 2008.

In her first interview since Gene Upshaw died, Terri Upshaw repeatedly told SI.com she wasn't endorsing any particular candidate among the four men vying to succeed him as the head of the most influential players union in professional sports. But she acknowledged she had discovered a file kept by her husband that, according to union sources, was filled with numerous e-mails documenting Vincent's role in controversies that have surfaced during his candidacy for the executive director position.

The file, which Terri Upshaw came across as she was cleaning out her husband's Washington, D.C., office last month, is alleged to include e-mails dealing with both Vincent's improper December 2007 release of confidential information about agents to his friend and business partner, Mark Mangum, and Vincent's purported coup attempt of Gene Upshaw at last March's NFLPA annual meeting in Maui. The NFLPA last week hired outside legal counsel to investigate Vincent's role in the release of personal information, which Vincent has characterized as an inadvertent mistake.

Multiple sources within the union have told SI.com that just before Upshaw died of pancreatic cancer in August (less than a week after he had been diagnosed), he confided to them that he was planning to confront Vincent with the evidence he had collected linking him to the disclosure of the confidential information, the coup attempt and other matters that concerned Upshaw about the intersection of Vincent's business practices and his role as union president from 2003 to '08. Gene Upshaw was, according to the sources, planning to "expose'' Vincent to the NFLPA's membership during his annual summer tour of training camps in 2008 -- a trip he never took.

"I knew he had information [about Vincent], because I requested a while ago to be able to get into his office and collect his things,'' Terri Upshaw said in a phone interview Thursday morning. "I came across this file, and I turned it over to the NFLPA. He wasn't home strategizing with me what his plan was, but I think he was talking with his confidants and his people about how to go about the whole process of how to address and take care of some of these issues. I know in the summer Gene was having discussions with some people about these matters. I knew what it was about, even though I wasn't privy to the details. He wanted things to be fair and to be conducted the right way. Gene had a lot of close confidants and they know what he was going to do and what he wanted to do with that information.''

Vincent, an NFL defensive back for 15 seasons, is perceived as the odds-on favorite among the four finalists for the executive director opening. He has been considered a leading candidate to succeed Upshaw, even well before Upshaw's death.

The union's annual meeting will open March 14 in Maui, and it's there that the 32 team player reps will vote for a new leader among Vincent, ex-union president Trace Armstrong, Washington, D.C., attorney DeMaurice Smith and Los Angeles-area attorney David Cornwell, who just Wednesday emerged as an unexpected finalist when he got the mandatory three team reps to nominate him for the final balloting. Cornwell had been eliminated by the NFLPA's executive committee when the field was cut from nine candidates to five in January.

The election is seen as the most pivotal in NFLPA history, given the critical importance of the executive director position as the union faces the looming specter of difficult and protracted collective bargaining agreement negotiations with the NFL later this year.

It is that critical nature of this election, Terri Upshaw said, that prompted her to speak of what's at stake in the battle to replace her Hall of Fame-inducted husband, and to address what she says Gene Upshaw felt were the most important elements in choosing his successor.

"Without getting into endorsing a particular person, I can tell you how Gene felt about the quality of the individual who would someday succeed him,'' Terri Upshaw said. "I don't know how he would feel if Troy were to replace him. But I know the direction he'd want this organization to go in, and I don't know that Troy would be the right candidate for that.

"I know he'd want to say to the players, 'Really take a look at the issues and take a look at the candidates and the qualifications of the person going into that position. Look at someone's core values. Take it seriously. It's a serious job. And you need a serious person with the experience and the background to do the job that's needed.' ''

Troy Vincent is one of four men running for the job as NFLPA executive director.
                        Getty Images
                        Asked if she felt Gene Upshaw had ever endorsed any one as a successor in their private conversations, particularly among the four finalists who are now vying for the job, Terri Upshaw said she never got such a pronouncement in so many words. Vincent was long seen as Upshaw's hand-picked successor, but the two had a falling out over the purported coup and barely communicated for much of last year before Upshaw's death.

"Gene didn't come out and say anything specific to me [about Vincent],'' Upshaw said. "But look at his actions. Sometimes what isn't said is kind of apparent too. Sometimes you don't have to say anything and that's stronger than any words you do say.

"I just know based on the time we spent together, and the confidence that Gene felt, he was closer with Trace. I know Gene felt very strongly about him. He may be the candidate who was closest to Gene. He spent a lot more time working with [Gene] than Troy. Gene didn't talk a lot about Troy. He just didn't come up a lot.''

Terri Upshaw said that she and Gene's three sons, Eugene III, Justin and Daniel, will not attend the NFLPA annual meeting in Maui this month, as they have as a family for years. But the four will return to Hawaii this month, spending time on the big island as has been the family's custom.

"We've been going to Hawaii as a family in March for 27 years, and we want to be there,'' she said. "It's part of our family's history. We're still hanging onto those times, and still trying to get through this. Maybe it'll help us heal a little more and move on. Every day is still a struggle. I lost my best friend, and my rock.''

Though not comparable, the union's task of replacing Upshaw has been a difficult process and fraught with controversy. But it's nearing completion. Terri Upshaw said she feels compelled to implore the union to choose a successor who brings many of the same skills to the job that her husband had.

"He believed in the union, and I know how passionate he was for his job, and for the cause of the players,'' she said. "I know it's down to the player reps, and I just hope they can take a look at the whole picture and make the right decision to move forward as the most powerful union in sports. I hope that job will be filled with someone who can approach the role like Gene did. He gave it everything he had.''
                        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• (Watchmen spoilers, of a sort):

"In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• I was hoping the Cowboys would talk with Simms. I still think he has good days ahead of him.

Comment

• I wonder how those def stats would look when you consider that the '85 Bears allowed only 10 points in three playoff games.

Oh, and those 10 point came like this:
                              Bears Offense turned over the ball in their red zone. In three plays, NE goes backward, but still gets the field goal.
                              NE lone TD came late in the fourth when the Bears were already up over 30 points.
                              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Like most things in football (indeed, team sports in general), statistics cannot hope to fully tell the tale.

Comment

Working...
                                X