Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of wheels and walls

The wheel is much older than a wall we learn

People in Jericho invented the wheel in the 8th millenium BT (Before Trump), which is mentioned in the bible (the wheel was driven by trump pets or somesuch).

Only from 4500 BT ppl invented the pottery wall and walled vehicles.

/cents
    Blah

I don't know how things work in Civ6, but in the good old days City Walls became obsolete after you got to a certain technology.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

In the REAL good old days (=Civ1, Civ2), city walls never got obsolete. There are however some units which ignore their effect.

And in answer to the OP, I guess it all depended on what early strategy those civs were following. Jericho may have had pottery or masonry first, but the Hyksos may not?

Comment

holy mother forking shirtballs it's Ecthy!
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

How old are shovels and ladders?

Comment

Are we walling off DC then?

Comment

Who did a successful chariot rush? I managed to conquer my starting continent, but by the time I could get ships to the other continents chariots were long obsolete.
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

It was at least an interesting thread title.
                Walls in Civ I and II were worth the effort.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

another cry for attention. so sad kid.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

All your posts will disappear and your efforts and insults will be for naught. And the rest of us will continue to post.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy View Post
                      In the REAL good old days (=Civ1, Civ2), city walls never got obsolete. There are however some units which ignore their effect.
                      http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/City_Walls_(Civ2)
                      http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Wall_(Civ2)
                      http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Howitzer_(Civ2)
                      The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• pchang
                        pchang commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Links are broken

The Great Wall wonder never seemed worth it to me. Barbarians were not that much trouble and if I was at war, I did not want to end before total conquest. Plus metallurgy came relatively quickly after completion.
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

My thoughts exactly!
                        Last edited by fenster; February 9, 2019, 18:31.

Comment

Well, the walls of Jericho surely became obsolete as soon as the Israelites invented the Trumpet

As for current Civ games like Civ VI:
                          You can upgrade the city walls to more modern fortifications
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Walls work, just ask the French.

Comment

Working...
                            X