Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BBC
    Mad Magazine to cease publication of new material
    US satirical publication Mad Magazine is ceasing publication of new material after 67 years.

The magazine will stop publishing new content after its next issue. Any new issues will feature previously released content with a new cover.

It will also now only be available in comic stores and to subscribers.

Many fans responded to the news to share their disappointment. Some described how influential the magazine had been growing up.

Mad Magazine was known for its striking front covers, in which it parodies both current affairs and popular television programmes. It often featured the magazine's gap-toothed child mascot Alfred E. Newman on the cover.

The magazine was founded in 1952 and began life as a comic book before changing to a magazine format in 1955.

DC, which publishes the magazine, told ABC in a statement: "After issue #10 this fall there will no longer be new content - except for the end of year specials which will always be new. So starting with issue #11, the magazine will feature classic, best of and nostalgic content from the last 67 years."

Many people, including singer and comedian "Weird Al" Yankovic, shared their sadness at new content coming to an end.

He said: "I can't begin to describe the impact it had on me as a young kid - it's pretty much the reason I turned out weird. Goodbye to one of the all-time greatest American institutions."
    From the next issue, the US satirical magazine will only republish previous content with new covers.

I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
    Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
    Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
      Uncle Sparky commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess Alfred E Neuman has passed the torch to Donald J Trump...
      Last edited by Uncle Sparky; July 4, 2019, 13:47.

• Happy Donald Trump Day!!!
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• I read he wants tanks to roll....
      Blah

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
        Uncle Sparky commented
        Editing a comment
        … and more than one flyby … Who will be the patriotic soldier to re-enact the death of Lincoln at the Lincoln memorial... greatest commemoration ever!

• Originally posted by BeBro View Post
      I read he wants tanks to roll....
      Especially those brand new Sherman tanks.
      I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!

Comment

• This years 'Song of Summer' just a podcast about impeachment...

TORONTO —- In what musicologists and pop chart analysts are calling an unprecedented trend, patterns in digital downloads, youtube views and online engagement all indicate that this year’s song of the summer will be a forty-five to seventy-five minute unstructured podcast focusing on the potential impeachment of Donald Trump.
        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• What happened to the thread?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• The US is clearly the most advanced nation on earth. According to Trump, we had airports in the late 1770’s.
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Originally posted by pchang View Post
              The US is clearly the most advanced nation on earth. According to Trump, we had airports in the late 1770’s.
              The Battle of the Baggage Claim was most brutal.
              Originally posted by BBC
              Donald Trump's 'airport' revolution sees people rewrite history
              A speech by the president of the United States will always get attention, especially on 4 July.

But Donald Trump's 2019 address to mark America's Independence Day has been flying around on social media more than usual.

During the address in Washington DC, Mr Trump suggested the Continental Army "took over the airports" during the revolutionary war against Britain in the late 18th Century.

It's not clear exactly what Mr Trump was referring to. The first successful plane to take flight was the Wright Flyer, in the US, in 1903 - more than 100 years later.

In response, people have been adding their own, imagined references to air travel within established history.

The hashtag #revolutionarywarairportstories has been used nearly 4,000 times on Twitter so far, and the term Revolutionary War used more than 16,000 times.

Twitter user @King_Of_Shade invented the Battle of Baggage Claim in 1776.
              User SlumdogSkillionaire commented: "By the end of the war there was not a single airport on the continent that was under British control. The troops were nothing if not thorough."

While another user added that: "Not a single RAF aircraft was in the skies above America during the Battle of Yorktown. What a strategic accomplishment!"
              The US president said the army took over airports in the 18th Century in his Independence Day speech.

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                Uncle Sparky commented
                Editing a comment
                Trump was simply declassifying Top Secret information again. This is his right, as the really smart president.
                Too bad Huckabee Sanders isn't around anymore, to exclaim, "He clearly said 'harbours', not 'airports'."

• Behold! The Unrivaled craftsmanship of the Smurfette Melania!
              Originally posted by BBC
              New Melania Trump statue in Slovenia gets mixed reviews
              A tongue-in-cheek statue of US First Lady Melania Trump has appeared on the outskirts of her Slovenian hometown.

US artist Brad Downey hired a local chainsaw artisan, Ales Zupevc, to carve the likeness out of a tree trunk outside the town of Sevnica.

The result was a wooden rendering of Mrs Trump dressed in a blue coat with a club-like hand gesturing to the sky.

Some residents described it as "a disgrace", a "Smurfette", saying "it doesn't look anything like Melania".

Downey told Reuters news agency he wanted to "have a dialogue" with the US political situation.

The artist has an exhibition in Slovenia's capital Ljubljana until late August. The gallery reportedly suggested the statue "might only be a slapstick prank" in a leaflet.

Downey's previous works include Wisdom Testicles and Cactus Hand.

Sevnica has become a tourist magnet ever since Donald Trump was elected US president in 2016, and Ms Trump - a famous former resident - became the first lady.
              A Smurf-like sculpture of the US first lady unveiled in her hometown of Sevnica gets mixed reviews.

Comment

• Rather Picasso-esque.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• DR Congo Police Killed, 'Disappeared' 27 Young Men and Boys - HRW

Security forces in the Democratic Republic of Congo killed and forcibly disappeared the young men and boys during an anti-crime campaign between May and September 2018. The campaign, known among the police as "Operation Likofi IV," targeted alleged gang members in Congo's capital, Kinshasa, a Human Rights Watch report reveals.

Security forces in the Democratic Republic of Congo killed and forcibly disappeared the young men and boys during an anti-crime campaign between May and September 2018. The campaign, known among the police as "Operation Likofi IV," targeted alleged gang members in Congo's capital, Kinshasa, a Human Rights Watch report reveals.

KULUNAahhh...

Comment

• Manspreading SOLVED:
                    Laila Laurel, centre, has created a chair, pictured, during her course at the University of Brighton to prevent men from 'manspreading' by physically keeping their legs together.

Comment

• pchang
                      pchang commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The woman’s chair needs to be motorized

• spambot
                      spambot commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Man's chair needs a butt plug.

• Could someone please mansplain this to me?
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• This thread has fallen off the first page. There is nothing more that is newsworthy. All previously newsworthy events are now tabloid worthy only.

Comment

• He's not wrong...
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                        X