Pope: Catholics should ask gay people for forgiveness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
    So, bakers should have the right to decline any bakery work for blacks or jews?
    That would break long standing US law despite Berzerker's claims.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I don't think that has merit. If we eliminate intent, tradeoffs, and scale as considerations, we are all constantly doing things which contribute some % to various atrocities. Having a lawn (or any plant life at all) means you are helping pedophiles rape children for example. Not killing all plant life you encounter means you're a pedophile enabler.

It's completely inane to judge people based on such metrics.

Comment

/me shrugs. I'm comfortable admitting that I enable atrocities.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

But should you be imprisoned for those attrocities?

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
            Not everyone in the Catholic church has joined it (outside of being born into it), and being homophobic is not a requirement of being Catholic. Thus simply being Catholic isn't enough to condemn someone of being homophobic or having supported intolerance of homosexuals.

Most of the people here in the Philippines are Catholic, and I've yet to run into a single person who was homophobic. I'm sure there are some, but the society here is rather liberal in that regard.

It's like blaming Berz for for the drug war ... because Berz is American and America is carrying out the drug war.
            The gay baker doesn't know their beliefs other than they joined a Church with a long, sordid history including the persecution of gays. And these people want him to bake a cake for their Catholic wedding, weddings the Catholic Church fights to keep away from gays. But he gets the bigot label?

Comment

Really... where did the Constitution say women weren't people?
              Does it explicitly state that the unborn are not persons?

Why is the baker's intolerance "fair"?
              Presumably if it's ok for the rainbow bakery to refuse service to a Catholic, (which is a protected class), then it is also fair game for the Catholic baker to do the same. Stating, "the Catholics have it coming" could be taken out of the Know-Nothing manual word for word.

Catholics spent centuries persecuting gays... If gays had been doing that to Catholics I'd understand why a Catholic might not feel so good about baking a cake for a gay wedding.
              Catholics have been a persecuted minority their entire existence in the United States.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Yet again, Ben disagrees with the head of his church... because in Benland, only he can dictate what being a good Catholic should be.
                Just like in Benland, where he knows more about the law than the Supreme Court...
                I quoted the catechism already in the thread. I'm not surprised you didn't pick up on the reference because you've never read it.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                  I'm a writer.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                    The gay baker doesn't know their beliefs other than they joined a Church with a long, sordid history including the persecution of gays. And these people want him to bake a cake for their Catholic wedding, weddings the Catholic Church fights to keep away from gays. But he gets the bigot label?
                    That's precisely the point. The baker doesn't know. So instead of judging the couple on their own merits, the baker is ignorantly using a preconceived bias to discriminate against them.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                      The internet is full of **** ... someone had to have written it!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                        Does it explicitly state that the unborn are not persons?
                        You didn't answer me, where does the Constitution say women are not people?

Presumably if it's ok for the rainbow bakery to refuse service to a Catholic, (which is a protected class), then it is also fair game for the Catholic baker to do the same. Stating, "the Catholics have it coming" could be taken out of the Know-Nothing manual word for word.
                        Comparing Catholics to the gays they've been persecuting for centuries requires knowing nothing

Catholics have been a persecuted minority their entire existence in the United States.
                        Not by the gays

Comment

That's precisely the point. The baker doesn't know. So instead of judging the couple on their own merits, the baker is ignorantly using a preconceived bias to discriminate against them.
                          By their own merits they joined a Church that has spent centuries persecuting gays

Comment

You ... and I ... and even the gay baker belong to groups which have done the same. That doesn't mean you, I, and the gay baker should all be judged the same as those who actually did persecute gays.

Comment

But should you be imprisoned for those attrocities?
                              Well, I'm only responsible for a tiny bit of any given atrocity. So maybe lock up my pinky finger?
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. With 100 billion people who have lived and contributed, and 37 trillion cells in your body, we only need to lock up 370 of your cells. I hope you've learned your lesson

Comment

Working...
                                X