No announcement yet.

Pope: Catholics should ask gay people for forgiveness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many liberals have joined the RC since he became pope?
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I'll bet the before he's done, he will have converted quite a few. But I have no statistics to back that up. Just my opinion.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        First amendment says otherwise. Bakers are allowed to decline work they don't want.
        So, bakers should have the right to decline any bakery work for blacks or jews?
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

yes, the business is private property and it will float or sink based largely on satisfying its clientele

most people will avoid a business that discriminates "unfairly" unless faced with coercion or force, thats why Jim Crow was law

the racists didn't want a fair competition within the free market, so they used govt and terrorism to prevent people from voting with their dollars - the irony is the left typically blames the free market for the state sponsored racism resulting from slavery

as for bakers, most people wont get up in arms about them refusing service for gay weddings because of their religion

I might boycott the bakery but threatening them with violence requires a better justification

Comment

But you dont believe in the freedom of association, you support the criminalization of our associations with people who sell us drugs you dont like
            I have no issues with your association with potheads. I have an issue with drug trafficking though.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Do you have any proof that this has happened?
              Yes or no, rah. Is it bigotry for a rainbow bakery to decline service to a Catholic wedding?
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

So, bakers should have the right to decline any bakery work for blacks or jews?
                Or white people for that matter. That's how freedom works. Just as white people, black people or Jews are free not to patronize such a restaurant.

Comment

Even if Ben asked for forgiveness, he probably wouldn't get it
                  Uh, sacrament of confession?

Comment

Perhaps since SCOTUS said that TX does not have the right to put additional roadblocks to abortion providers, Ben will fall back to what the Pope says.
                    If you can find the section of the constitution that states that abortion is a right, I'll happily concede the point.

Comment

I have no issues with your association with potheads. I have an issue with drug trafficking though.
                      So, you have no issue with Cannabis consumption in the Netherlands or in Alaska, Colorado, Oregon or Washington.
                      But you are against Cannabis consumption in states like Wisconsin
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Or white people for that matter. That's how freedom works. Just as white people, black people or Jews are free not to patronize such a restaurant.
                        What about doctors/private clinics?

Comment

What about doctors/private clinics?
                          What about them? They are free to choose whatever clients they want. There are already plenty of businesses that provide concierge services. They also don't accept Medicaid or government funding.

Comment

So, you have no issue with Cannabis consumption in the Netherlands or in Alaska, Colorado, Oregon or Washington.
                            But you are against Cannabis consumption in states like Wisconsin
                            Association is different from consumption. I'm not a libertarian. I don't see association justifying consumption of alcohol by a minor. By the same token I don't see how it justifies trafficking in controlled substances either. You're free to spend time with potheads, but you're not free to commit crimes with said potheads unless you want to get charged.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                              I'll bet the before he's done, he will have converted quite a few. But I have no statistics to back that up. Just my opinion.
                              Doubtful. The more liberal protestants are way ahead of him in this particular department, and they're hemorrhaging membership faster than just about anybody else.

EDIT: I mean, what does the RCC offer that Lutherans, Episcopalians, etc. don't? Mostly a much older tradition and a more conservative theological outlook. Francis is undermining both here. If progressives want to be progressives, they don't need the blessing of a centuries-old institution to do it. If they want to be progressive and "spiritual," UUs are the much more congenial option from their perspective, and lack all the baggage.

Francis will cause progressives to nod appreciatively and say some nice things about the "new" RCC--in the US. But if they didn't want to be Catholic before, there's no reason why they would now. And besides, outside the US is real growth territory for Christianity today, in Africa, Latin America and Asia. China is something like ten percent Christian now. From a purely cynical growth-strategy perspective, this isn't a terribly clever move.
                              Last edited by Elok; June 27, 2016, 18:15.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

If you can find the section of the constitution that states that abortion is a right, I'll happily concede the point.
                                The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Thats found in the 9th amendment to the bill of rights...that instruction was directed at people like you

Association is different from consumption.
                                but producing and consuming pastries is freedom of association?

I'm not a libertarian. I don't see association justifying consumption of alcohol by a minor.
                                How about alcohol consumption by adults? Should parents be jailed for letting their kids drink? Maybe a foster home for the kids?

By the same token I don't see how it justifies trafficking in controlled substances either. You're free to spend time with potheads, but you're not free to commit crimes with said potheads unless you want to get charged.
                                Somebody other than the baker and their customers wants a control on cake trafficking, how are you any different for wanting to control pot? Hell, you want to jail millions of people for not getting your permission to associate and the gays just want to buy cakes

Comment

Working...
                                X