Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Technological change/multifactor productivity increases...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is not something I liked either. Pay me for a honest day's work. That's all I care about. If the work's done, what do you care? Let me go home and have some fun. You're happy. Your numbers in the end are good.

Now if the productivity wasn't there or the job was being left undone, it would be different, but that's pretty obvious.

I had a planting boss who did this. He set out a quota every day for his whole crew. When that quota was done, we were finished. Then he made sure we got paid for the full day regardless of when we were done.

He said people worked harder when there was incentive to work hard. As a result he never had extra long days unless we were picking up the slack for another crew, or we were on the worst cutblock. 45 degree incline up at least a quarter mile. We kicked butt on that one, but it was just too much for us to do, and they had to send the other crews in to help.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
      Which is not something I liked either. Pay me for a honest day's work. That's all I care about. If the work's done, what do you care? Let me go home and have some fun. You're happy. Your numbers in the end are good.
      Just the other day you were arguing with me that you need to bill per hour to ensure clients got value. Now you're saying all that matters is the work gets done.

****ing hell, you're so stupid you can't keep basic arguments consistent.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
        Just the other day you were arguing with me that you need to bill per hour to ensure clients got value. Now you're saying all that matters is the work gets done.

Ben

Annoying the hell out of Asher since 2002
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Olgie will come by this thread and set you right, Asher.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Olgie doesn't mess with me.

One of the advantages of being loud and obnoxious all the time is many people who disagree with me simply don't want to get into an argument, which makes me look right all the time as there's no dissenting opinions.

APOLYTON: The ultimate strategy game.

I've already eliminated a few civs (Urban Ranger and Agathon) as well as captured a holy city and razed it (Mac forum).
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Meh, I get paid by the hour but work in set 12 hour shifts, and get paid even if work doesn't get done.

And a third of the day is spent watching TV
              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Olgie doesn't mess with me.

One of the advantages of being loud and obnoxious all the time is many people who disagree with me simply don't want to get into an argument, which makes me look right all the time as there's no dissenting opinions.

APOLYTON: The ultimate strategy game.

I've already eliminated a few civs (Urban Ranger and Agathon) as well as captured a holy city and razed it (Mac forum).
                Well keep on kicking ass then.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I'd really hate it if I had to work a 925 again. KH is right about this. My perfect work day includes me waking up at 9:30-10, taking my laptop to work in some coffeeshop until noon/ talk to clients/my boss on the phone, meeting some clients all afternoon, early evening is for reading into new products/technologies, constructing new marketing strategy and tactics for some products, and sending it to be approved by the CEO etc.

then - restraunt/pub.

God I love my new job.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Consultancy has its benefits.

Comment

Actually consultancy seems like the next career step for me. I wanna do this gig for a couple of years, then Associate in a mgmt consulting firm, and then open my own start-up ( I have a couple of applications in mind, and plenty of people to do the technology for it)

I am nominally nothing more than a sales engineer, but since there is noone in the company as familiar as I am with how to approach marketing management, I am all over it. So it's both sales bonuses, for meeting with clients, as well as the flexible hours.

it owns! IT OWNS!
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Wait

you like interfacing with clients?

Comment

I am weird like that.
                          Casual client sit-ins/lab surveys are the best way to feel the market. Besides it is good for you as a person - you meet quirky individuals ( lab bosses, aranddee veepees ), meet plenty of women at their job place ( god bless biology/chemistry HR gender balance), get to see the country, understand that people are often very dumb.

as I said, it owns.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                          X