Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Technological change/multifactor productivity increases...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ben:

It might not have been labor board issue... a lot of time performance incentives are based on costs instead of output (believe it or not), and labor costs are typically the highest expense of a lot of businesses. I've seen drastic cutbacks in labor at the cost of sales or service just to improve labor costs. You get what you measure, unfortunately.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

If KH is so badass, he mightaswell moonlight as well. Maybe then he'll actually make more than his wife!
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
        Working 12 hours a day is doable. Working 12 hours a day for years on end is doable.

Doing so is retarded. You only get one life, don't waste it all working for the man.
        Early retirement/buying happiness
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm on pace for that too.

Just wait til you get kids. It'll screw your early retirement plans.

Will never be a problem for me.

Quality of life at 50 doesn't compare to your 20s and 30s, either.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
            If KH is so badass, he mightaswell moonlight as well. Maybe then he'll actually make more than his wife!
            Base only
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Umm... do all of you have sit-down at your desk type jobs? I have yet to hold one of those positions... Trust me, 12 hour days standing in dress shoes is not ideal.

Comment

Umm... do all of you have sit-down at your desk type jobs? I have yet to hold one of those positions... Trust me, 12 hour days standing in dress shoes is not ideal.
                I sit at my desk at work and post on Poly all day. 12 hours a day is very doable.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                  Doing so is retarded. You only get one life, don't waste it all working for the man.
                  Best comment in whole thread.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                    Base only
                    All your Base are belong to us.
                    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

Only about 43%, actually
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I haven't had a job that didn't involve me running around with an M16A4 since December

Comment

I haven't had a job that didn't involve me running around with an M16A4 since December
                          I grew out of that phase when I was 10.

Comment

It might not have been labor board issue... a lot of time performance incentives are based on costs instead of output (believe it or not), and labor costs are typically the highest expense of a lot of businesses. I've seen drastic cutbacks in labor at the cost of sales or service just to improve labor costs. You get what you measure, unfortunately.
                            Well, I didn't understand why they were measuring it in terms of hourly. I was on a contract, which stipulated it would take x months to finish the job. After getting there I realised it took only about 2 hours for me to finish up what needed to be done. So I asked to expand the task to include the entire store. More bang for their buck so to speak. That should have been their first clue.

All I ever asked is that the manager let me while away the hours in peace. I'd look up after 4 hours and realise that quitting time was coming up. So I'd shut everything done and pack up. I really hated playing the game of sitting there waiting for the clock to get to 4 so I could go.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

So your old boss may have just been trying to avoid problems with the labor board.
                              Perhaps. She explained it to me that it caused troubles with the rest of her staff when I left early. Her store clerks, and all. I can see why they might complain, but that's not really my job to deal with her staff control issues. My job was busy when the customers weren't there. I likewise sat out their busiest days, by agreement when we realised that it worked best for them and me.

They shot that down too claiming that their job description didn't justify the designation.
                              That's a shame. I think it's great that you tried to get them appropriate compensation for the work that they were doing. I'd love to have a job like that where I didn't have to worry about the hours and I could just pound away. I guess that's why I like working for myself. I don't have to worry about a labour board.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Yeah most jobs are more concerned with paying per hour rather than paying for the work. When I worked in check processing, if we flew through the day's work, they would have to send us home without paying us for a full day. Actually gives incentive to lower your own productivity.

Comment

Working...
                                X