Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Technological change/multifactor productivity increases...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least if you worked in China bad publicity might make Steve Jobs give you a pay rise.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Asher View Post
      This is how the vast majority of companies work.

The hours aren't fixed in terms of 9-5, just in terms of 40 a week.
      I know it's how most companies work. It's also why employees at most companies are horribly unproductive.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Since I'm in Chicago and work a lot with our NY office, I usually do 7-4.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
          At least if you worked in China bad publicity might make Steve Jobs give you a pay rise.
          We need a telethon or something.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
            I know it's how most companies work. It's also why employees at most companies are horribly unproductive.
            Longer hours doesn't equate to greater productivity necessarily. A couple of times I've come in on a Saturday (paid overtime) and done 6 hours, I get an incredible amount done. Combination of no-one being here and concentrated effort.

My effectiveness after 7pm is about 0, or less, I actually **** stuff up 'cause I get sloppy..
            Last edited by MikeH; June 18, 2010, 10:19.
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

My peak productivity as a developer is between 10pm and 1am. I don't know why. I reserve that time for my own stuff anyway.

Not that work would appreciate odd working hours like that anyway.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Im most productive 7am-11am in the summer, and 11am-3pm in the winter. The midday sun and the early morning frosts really put the dampner on working.

wrt overtime ~I find I pace myself during a normal day, and am ready to have a siesta about 4pm. if I need to do weekday overtime then im unproductive as Im used to falling asleep during overtime time
                Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Most creative ideas: between 7 and 11 am.

Best focus on getting the job done: between 6 and 10 pm.

I am throughly ****ed... :sad:
                  "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty View Post
                    Im most productive 7am-11am in the summer, and 11am-3pm in the winter. The midday sun and the early morning frosts really put the dampner on working.

wrt overtime ~I find I pace myself during a normal day, and am ready to have a siesta about 4pm. if I need to do weekday overtime then im unproductive as Im used to falling asleep during overtime time
                    So your workplace does not have heating for winter, and air conditioning for summer?
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                      I think 40 hours is enough. People like to have a life of their own outside of work.

Comment

Last weekend we were a man short on two shifts and I couldn't get anyone in, so I traded the laptop for a pair of gloves and worked the line like I used to.

Turns out plant managers aren't supposed to do that.

So they paid me overtime and told me to keep it to a minimum.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Office hours tend to be 6 am or therabouts to 5 pm or therabouts.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Yeah I've gotten into so much trouble for 'working the line' as a manager. I mean I understand it because I can't adequately monitor a 100-employee operation but sometimes you're short... apparently, they would rather have me try to call people in (on the weekends mind you) for 3 hours shifts (anymore and they would be getting overtime). Understandably, no one wants to come in on their day off to do a few hours and leave when they hit 40. So I'd rather just do it myself (besides, it's very rare to find an employee who can do their job better than I can do their job).
                            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                              Last weekend we were a man short on two shifts and I couldn't get anyone in, so I traded the laptop for a pair of gloves and worked the line like I used to.

Turns out plant managers aren't supposed to do that.

So they paid me overtime and told me to keep it to a minimum.
                              brown noser

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                                So your workplace does not have heating for winter, and air conditioning for summer?
                                After a fashion, yes. its kinda an old system though. air conditioning involves taking your top off, and heating involves working harder to keep your body temperature up
                                Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Working...
                                X