Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Technological change/multifactor productivity increases...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technological change/multifactor productivity increases...

are causing high-level professional work to:

a) involve longer work hours
    b) become relatively higher-paying
    c) decrease in autonomy
    d) be a higher proportion of total employment

And are having the exact opposite effects on manual labour

Discuss.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Decrease in autonomy? Can you describe what do you mean by that?
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I don't take issue with what you're proposing. Generally speaking, that has been true. Though the relationship with autonomy (assuming I understand what you mean by autonomy as ability to work independently without direct supervision) is a bit iffy. I'm not sure manual laborers have much autonomy nor that high level professionals are lacking in autonomy, although I am not a high level professional.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

My brother works 10-14 hour days because he works in high tech. I work 8 hour days because I do IT for medium-low tech - 90% of my co-workers are blue collar. He makes about 50% more than me, but I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Work hours are things you control. I know far too many people who work far too long at the same salaried job that doesn't pay overtime.

Things may be different for you due to the bonus structure, but in my field...an hour of overtime is an hour of stolen personal time, and that's it. No compensation. Despite this, I know way too many of my friends work about 12 hours a day at the same job so they look better for their managers, in the aim of getting a promotion. It's ****ing retarded.

I'm a strict 9-5 guy with my day job. Everyone knows it. If I work overtime, it's for special circumstances only and I take time off in lieu of it. If you insist on it, and make it clear...and you're good enough at what you do, it's fine.

Investment banks are a different beast, of course. By working in the field as a full-timer, you accept the ridiculous hours.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
            Decrease in autonomy? Can you describe what do you mean by that?
            There is greater cooperation among higher-skill peer workers, whereas previously individuals would work on their own projects with the support of lower-skill workers
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I don't work ridiculous hours. 12 hours a day.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Agree with all except the working hours for both. Think this still depends on the specific job/company culture whether it's manual or professional.
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                  I don't work ridiculous hours. 12 hours a day.
                  As long as you like what you do that should not be a problem
                  "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis View Post
                    As long as you like what you do that should not be a problem
                    Greedy people always like what they do. Also if they follow their greed they and get the job that pays the most they are being altruistic. Right KH?
                    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

No, people with high aspirations do that too... Money isn't my primary driver when I work late...
                      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

It's not mine either.
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Asher View Post
                          Work hours are things you control. I know far too many people who work far too long at the same salaried job that doesn't pay overtime.

Things may be different for you due to the bonus structure, but in my field...an hour of overtime is an hour of stolen personal time, and that's it. No compensation. Despite this, I know way too many of my friends work about 12 hours a day at the same job so they look better for their managers, in the aim of getting a promotion. It's ****ing retarded.

I'm a strict 9-5 guy with my day job. Everyone knows it. If I work overtime, it's for special circumstances only and I take time off in lieu of it. If you insist on it, and make it clear...and you're good enough at what you do, it's fine.

Investment banks are a different beast, of course. By working in the field as a full-timer, you accept the ridiculous hours.

Yeah, I mostly agree. I'll do my day and leave unless there's something that is really important. (and I judge whether it's important) Some of the younger guy work 12 hours days to impress their bosses, but in the last couple of years, No raises or minimal ones, reduction in profit sharing matches, requiring a higher percentage for medical, lower or no bonuses, and they expect me to kill myself with long hours. Not likely. And I'm a firm believer that after 11 hours you start making mistakes that just make you work longer the next day. If you work 12 hours a day for any period of time, you'll burn out and not be effective.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I am basically the same.

The funny thing is, when I work overtime I get bosses going out of their way to thank me for the extra effort. The people who do it habitually never get thanked, it's just assumed.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                              are causing high-level professional work to:

a) involve longer work hours
                              b) become relatively higher-paying
                              c) decrease in autonomy
                              d) be a higher proportion of total employment

And are having the exact opposite effects on manual labour

Discuss.
                              I'd say it is true in healthcare, but they have always worked as the patients require the assistance and that is due to the holistic patient care approach, and shifts of familiar multidisciplinary teams that have to work together that have increased employment as more disciplines are added to a hospitals staff.

Pay isn't increasing though.
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                              X