• Show
Clear All

• Hipster review is up...

The verdict? B+!
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• I'm going A-, but I could go half a grade either way.

I think he's a bit confused about The Well, though.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• From the hipster review...

Case-in-point: the very nicely written and played scene at The Well between Not-Locke and Desmond, where the former talks about “answers” versus “power” (and explains that Widmore’s only interested in the latter, which I personally believe to be true). I can’t say I was completely surprised that the scene ended with Desmond being tossed into the abyss—especially given Not-Locke’s befuddlement over why Desmond didn’t fear him—but the conversation had such an easy rhythm that I almost dismissed the danger until it was too late.

So basically these guys are out of touch enough to worry that Minkowski was going to cap Desmond at the end of "Happily Ever After", but not smart enough to recognize where the scene with Smokey and Desmond at the well was going until the very end. I don't feel bad at all for not seeing eye to eye with people like this...

That scene at the well was badass, btw. The sense of dread that built up and up and up as you waited for Smokey to make his move was fantastic. Props to Terry O'Quinn and Henry Ian Cusick for some excellent performances this week.

edit:
        Originally posted by Guynemer
        I think he's a bit confused about The Well, though.

I obviously agree.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• I still think you're wrong about last week, but the more I consider this week, the more I agree with you--this belongs in the upper echelon of this season, along with The Substitute and LAX.

I was very, very nervous at the well. I think the preview may have (for once) spoiled next week a bit too much, both on the Island and in LA.

Re: Minkowski, again I'll point out that it would be true to form for previous episodes for one or the other or both Deses to get capped at the end of last week. I wasn't particularly concerned, given the episode in and of itself, but it wouldn't have been unprecedented. (I was more worried about Richard in his episode, personally.)

Comment

• I think the preview may have (for once) spoiled next week a bit too much, both on the Island and in LA.

Luckily, I was so psyched about the awesomely creepy Willy Wonka song in the background that I don't even remember most of the images they showed. Spoiler averted!

Re: Minkowski, again I'll point out that it would be true to form for previous episodes for one or the other or both Deses to get capped at the end of last week.

I respectfully disagree. There's no way a major character like Des was going to get capped by a schlub like Minkowski.

I agree with you that Dock Jensen is very amusing, however.
            Last edited by Drake Tungsten; April 14, 2010, 00:35.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Again, I didn't think Minkowski was going to cap Des, but neither do I think that it was an unreasonable fear, given the relatively short lifespans of characters who have disappeared for the better part of a season (or more), only to make a dramatic return...

One more thing I liked, but forgot to mention:

Libby showing off the lion's share of her tits in that dress on the beach.

Comment

• I really agree with this hipster...

Originally posted by JohnnyRuin
                The "revelation" regarding the whispers tonight is exemplary to me of how, despite the vocality of a contingent of fans, the acquisition to the answers for some of the shows long asked questions is ultimately less satisfying than the mystery surrounding the question.

Are exchanges like the one we had between Hurley and Michael really the high points of the series?

"You're stuck on the island, aren't you?"
                "Because of what I did."
                "And there are others out here like you, aren't there? That's what the whispers are?"
                "Yeah. We're the ones who can't move on."

Same with Rousseau's backstory, or Richard's, to an extent. Over time, the desire for explanations to unanswered questions can grow out of proportion to their importance to the story as a whole. This inevitably leads to disappointment. In my opinion, the writers are continually trying to bring us to the same realizations that Jacob is encouraging the candidates to make. Where we stop focusing as much on things like the minutiae of the DI and instead focus more on the characters and their intertwining journeys.

I don't really care about answers and I think one reason I'm digging this season less than past seasons is that the revelations have been far less interesting than I had been expecting (e.g. Alpert, Richard). I enjoyed Lost's sense of mystery, which has largely disappeared.

That being said, lots of people have been clamoring for answers and for the characters on the show to actually talk to each other, so it kind of pisses me off that people are complaining about Hurley and Michael doing exactly that.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• One more thing I liked, but forgot to mention:

Libby showing off the lion's share of her tits in that dress on the beach.

Amen.

It's no coincidence that my third and fourth-favorite Sideways stories of the season both featured prominent cleavage.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• A
                    "

Comment

• I think he's a bit confused about The Well, though.
                      Huh? His description of what happened at the well seemed to the most reasonable explanation. Locke threw Desmond down the well because of something to do with the electromagnetism.
                      Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

• As some hipster said in the AV Club comments, "The Well" that went down to the frozen donkey wheel doesn't exist in 2007. The Dharma Initiative built the Orchid Station on top of the site, and the frozen donkey wheel is now accessed by a hole in the wall at the Orchid. This new well might lead to yet another pocket of electromagnetism, but that's not entirely clear yet.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Good episode, but not great. The on-Island story started strong, but really didn't end up going anywhere. Jin and Sun's reunion did get me, though.

The Sideways stuff was boring, as usual, but at least it's all coming together now. Hopefully we won't have to put up with any more Sideways stories after the next episode.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• The Sideways stuff was just moving pieces around; no one had the epiphany that Hurley did last week, but I wonder what exactly was happening with Sun when saw Locke on the other gurney.

The Island stuff was quite good, especially the resumption of the old Jack-"Locke" and Jack-James rivalries. Obviously, Sayid did not shoot Des, but I wonder exactly why not.

Too bad Claire didn't pull the trigger.

Frank's line at the end was way too ****ing cheesy; I thought the aphasia storyline would have a bigger payoff. The reunion was nice, though.

Like everyone else, I kept waiting (in vain) for Juliet to show up and save Sun's baby.

No word on the C-Team: Richard, Ben, Miles.

Widmore is apparently still a total *****; or, probably more likely, he understands that it is important that the candidates do not leave the Island, so needs them under lock and key. Also, his team has mortars. Yikes.

Terrific "mirror moment" when Jack looked in the OR mirror and saw Locke. Really phenomenal; that made the whole episode for me.

Comment

• Too bad Claire didn't pull the trigger.

Agreed. That's the exact point at which the on-Island story went from "potentially awesome" to "just moving pieces around" for me.

Frank's line at the end was way too ****ing cheesy

Also agreed.

Terrific "mirror moment" when Jack looked in the OR mirror and saw Locke. Really phenomenal; that made the whole episode for me.

You're not very hard to win over, are you?
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• "A-", AV Club? Really? This episode was better than "Everybody Loves Hugo", really? Jesus Tap-dancing Christ...
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X