No announcement yet.

Lost: Season Six

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's been on fire ever since "The Brig", but we can agree to disagree.

The AV Club just clued me into something: "LA X" = the LA ten. Ten (current) main characters who we see in LA in the alternative universe: Jack, Locke, Sayid, Kate, James, Hugo, Claire, Jin, Sun, Ben.

****ing duh. Can't believe it took me three weeks to figure that out; the space in the title has been bothering me forever. Now, I have no idea what the actual significance, if any, this has, but at least I can relax about it now.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• He's been on fire ever since "The Brig", but we can agree to disagree.

I might just have a higher threshold for "on fire" status.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• I think it works from both a character perspective, and from a story mechanics perspective.

Character wise: That was his lowest point--his lifelong revenge quest fulfulled by murdering a helpless, restrained, frightened old man, in the most brutal way imaginable. He could only go up from there. (Even his execution of Tom was less dark, relatively speaking.)

Mechanics wise: That was the culmination of his entire flashback story. No further flashbacks needed; they would be redundant. In the fourth season, when we started having flashforwards, Sawyer did not get a focus episode at all; his race had been run. Despite that, he had one of my absolute favorite moments in the whole season, calling out Kate on her ping-ponging back and forth between him and Kate; he was accepting his life, and trying to make it better. Instead of focusing on his past, all the focus could now be on his recovery, redemption, and future. It's been terrific, truly.

Comment

• I only award "on-fire" status to characters whose mere presence in a scene makes me sit up a little more and pay attention because I'm sure something great is about to happen. I've felt that way about Locke and Ben (and Juliet ) for a while now, but Sawyer didn't really achieve that status with me until he was back in the '70s.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Okay, fair enough. I'll agree to the stipulation that Sawyer has been steadily, rapidly improving ever since "The Brig", and has been on fire since "LaFleur".

Given your definition, I'd also move that Desmond was on fire for the majority of seasons three and four.

Comment

• Yes, I agree with that.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• I was holding out hope that part of Locke was still left but when he crossed out the name, I guess that kinda puts that to rest. At least he didn't cross out Sayid's name so there's still a chance that he's still Sayid.

And yes, thank god we got a good episode after last week's dog.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• OK, who is the kid? Jacob was Apophis / the good god, fake Locke is the bad god / smoke monster. Who is the kid telling fake Locke that he broke the rules? Is there a whole other tribe of gods out there?
                  "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• This is too simple to be right but I was thinking MIB=reason and Jacob=faith. All of Jacob's followers apparently do not know ****, and almost blindly followed him. Jacob's also thinks the island is special or something and MIB thinks it is just a regular island. So ironically, MIB takes the form of Locke, who represents faith, and Jack, who represents reason, will become Jacob.

Also, the little kid could be Jacob, and the "you cant kill him" could have been referring to Sawyer or may be Richard.
                    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

• Indeed, it could be referring to Bizarro Locke's inability to kill not only Jacob, but true candidates as well.

I'm still sticking with my "The Alternative Universe Implodes In A Couple Months At The Same Time As When Desmond Turns The Fail Safe Key In The Island Universe" theory.

Comment

• Also, someone on the AV Club postulated that, if MIB can kill neither Jacob nor his candidates, but must manipulate others to do it for him, perhaps we will see him try to get Jack, Sayid, James, Hurley, and Jin and/or Sun all killed.

The question is: who would be willing to kill Hurley? I mean, really? Everyone loves him. Only someone with a cold blackness in their heart would do it... which means that Zombie Sayid will kill Hurley. It makes thematic sense, given how closely the two characters have been linked, from the pilot on, not to mention how often they have saved each other's lives. (Zombie Claire is another possibility, but I'm betting on Zombie Sayid.)

Comment

• The question is: who would be willing to kill Hurley? I mean, really? Everyone loves him.

Dude, Ben. Do you really think there's anyone he wouldn't kill? Christ, he even killed Jacob (who he had been serving for years) and Locke (for reasons that have yet to be really explained), in addition to gassing his own father and everyone he had grown up with in the Dharma Initiative.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• I'm still sticking with my "The Alternative Universe Implodes In A Couple Months At The Same Time As When Desmond Turns The Fail Safe Key In The Island Universe" theory.
                            What do you mean? Why would they waste time showing an AU to just blow it up.
                            Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                              The question is: who would be willing to kill Hurley? I mean, really? Everyone loves him.

Dude, Ben. Do you really think there's anyone he wouldn't kill? Christ, he even killed Jacob (who he had been serving for years) and Locke (for reasons that have yet to be really explained), in addition to gassing his own father and everyone he had grown up with in the Dharma Initiative.
                              No, I think Ben has changed, as evidenced by his eulogy. He's been played by Smokey, and he knows it; he's humbled, and feels just as confused as Locke did when he choked the life out of that poor bastard. Even if he hasn't changed, I think he still has affection for Hugo.

I don't know if it has even been spelled out or not (I think it may have been), but Locke was killed once he spilled the beans on Eloise. Ben wanted to go back; he thought Locke could take him back, but when Locke said Hawking could get him back, he had no further use for John.

Comment

• Originally posted by flash9286 View Post
                                What do you mean? Why would they waste time showing an AU to just blow it up.
                                It won't be blown up without consequence; somehow, someway, their experiences in the alternative universe will bleed into their consciousness in the island universe: "Let's get some coffee. We can go Dutch."

Comment

Working...
                                X