Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would say the 'facts' as you provided them in that post above are similarly leading in intent.
    Wilberforce was a white dude and he successfully shut down the slave trade. That's a historical fact. It's also a historical fact that many black folks did engage in slavery and successfully enslaved White folks.

If one wants to blame white folks for what they did wrong, shouldn't we also credit them for what they did right? And the same for black folks?
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Top tip for not getting banned - address the moderator's point, not a strawman.
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

• Wilberforce was not a super hero, and in fact did not 'shut down the slave trade'. That's pretty retarded even for you. He led a campaign to abolish slavery based around the premise that the slavery being carried out by white folks in vast numbers was repugnant and immoral.

You are correct that slavery has never been a purely white on black pastime, however given that whites were the ones doing it right up until the 19th century and in simply vast numbers, you should probably stop being a racist apologist ****. You can probably also extend that to all the other things you're offensively wrong about too.

Then again, being that you're a fundamentalist Catholic, it's understandable that you don't really have a problem with the enslavement of other races.

Originally posted by wiki
        In 1452, Pope Nicholas V issued the papal bull Dum Diversas, granting the kings of Spain and Portugal the right to reduce any "Saracens, pagans and any other unbelievers" to perpetual slavery, legitimizing the slave trade as a result of war.

Comment

• Top tip for not getting banned - address the moderator's point, not a strawman.

Where did I misrepresent your position with a strawman? If so, I apologize.

'facts' as you provided them in that post above are similarly leading in intent
          And what exactly is the intent that you perceive? What do you believe I'm really trying to say here?
          Last edited by Ben Kenobi; August 19, 2013, 10:09.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Last edited by Ben Kenobi; August 19, 2013, 10:42. Reason: request from MikeH

Comment

• I don't know why I make the mistake of trying to talk to you like a human being. You're a lying, racist little **** who belongs in a classroom about as much as Michael Jackson belonged at a child's sleepover.

Comment

• I don't know why I make the mistake of trying to talk to you like a human being. You're a lying, racist little **** who belongs in a classroom about as much as Michael Jackson belonged at a child's sleepover.
                Whatever dude. That's.. like, your opinion, man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                  Whatever dude. That's.. like, your opinion, man.
                  I'd be happy to make a poll and see just how prevalent that opinion is if you like?

Comment

• Can you take your argument about Wilberforce back to whichever thread it came from and accept the point that there will be situations where "I am just quoting facts" isn't going to be an acceptable defence, where the facts are deliberately skewed to make a prejudicial point that contravenes our guidelines.

It should also be clear that I haven't said anywhere that anything Ben has said on this particular conversation was unacceptable. Which is why I can't understand why he is trying to persuade me it's acceptable. Maybe he thinks it's something I will consider unacceptable?
                    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

• Can you take your argument about Wilberforce back to whichever thread it came from
                      Ok, done. Thanks MikeH.

Comment

• Originally posted by Colon™ View Post
                        Also, It'd be nice to have a "I will NOT thank you for what you said" button.
                        The button we need most is a "You're a f*cktard if you think that".

It would save an enormous amount of typing for numerous Polytubbies in all the debates about whatever....

Comment

• How about a "Christ! What an ass!" button?
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• It would really say something about Poly's 'culture', if there was a 'what a ********' button instead of a thanks button.

Comment

• We'd definitely need more than one a day..

Comment

• "Jesus on a Velociraptor" is a pretty interesting notion. I'm going to think about this for a bit.
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X