George W. Bush shocks evangelicals with views on Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George W. Bush shocks evangelicals with views on Christianity

WASHINGTON (AFP) — US President George W. Bush said in an interview Monday that the Bible is "probably not" literally true and that a belief that God created the world is compatible with the theory of evolution.

"I think you can have both," Bush, who leaves office January 20, told ABC television, adding "You're getting me way out of my lane here. I'm just a simple president."

But "evolution is an interesting subject. I happen to believe that evolution doesn't fully explain the mystery of life," said the president, an outspoken Christian who often invokes God in his speeches.

"I think that God created the Earth, created the world; I think the creation of the world is so mysterious it requires something as large as an almighty and I don't think it's incompatible with the scientific proof that there is evolution," he told ABC television.

Asked whether the Bible was literally true, Bush replied: "Probably not. No, I'm not a literalist, but I think you can learn a lot from it."

"The important lesson is 'God sent a son,'" he said.

Word is evangelicals aren't too happy
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Could it make his approval ratings any lower, though, really?
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
      Seeing as they're virtually all that's left, yeah.
      Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
        Who do you think the 28%ers are, though? They are the ones who're upset by Bush's statement, so yes, it is entirely possible his ratings could go lower. I think he's shooting for 0%.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

we want a record
          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

In his defense, he probably doesn't know what "literally" and "true" means.
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Poor crazy people.
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

It's hard not to believe in evolution

Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Snuggles
                  I think he's shooting for 0%.
                  You know, if I were one of those NWO-conspiracy-nut types, I'd have to wonder if Bush agreed to merely be used as a foil to deliberately **** up the country so badly and discredit one half of the two-party system so permanently that "they"(TM) can put up "their" uber-messianic figure to put the big plan in motion with minimal opposition. It's the only theory that begins to explain how spectacularly self-destructive Bush has been.

Unbelievable!

Comment

it's a good theory, but you weren't the first one to come up with it

Originally posted by Darius871

You know, if I were one of those NWO-conspiracy-nut types, I'd have to wonder if Bush agreed to merely be used as a foil to deliberately **** up the country so badly and discredit one half of the two-party system so permanently that "they"(TM) can put up "their" uber-messianic figure to put the big plan in motion with minimal opposition. It's the only theory that begins to explain how spectacularly self-destructive Bush has been.

this is ca 2006
                    Attached Files

Comment

there is another more plausible reason... I remember Michael Moore being in UK studio when the Supreme Court decided Bush is going to be the president. He joked "well at least for the next four years the average American will know that they are smarter than the president."

See what happens when the president is "less smart" than average American - not good... the only thing that MM could not know is that this was going to be 8 years and not four
                      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave

there is another more plausible reason... I remember Michael Moore being in UK studio when the Supreme Court decided Bush is going to be the president. He joked "well at least for the next four years the average American will know that they are smarter than the president."

See what happens when the president is "less smart" than average American - not good... the only thing that MM could not know is that this was going to be 8 years and not four
                        Clearly you and Moore vastly overestimate the intelligence of the "average American."
                        Unbelievable!

Comment

Re: it's a good theory, but you weren't the first one to come up with it

Originally posted by VJ

this is ca 2006

See, I wish Dems would start to give these guys their due credit. They've done more for the American left in mere eight years than five consecutive Kennedys could ever have done.
                          Last edited by Darius871; December 11, 2008, 20:26.
                          Unbelievable!

Comment

Clearly you and Moore vastly overestimate the intelligence of the "average American."

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave

I invite you to take a tour.
                              Unbelievable!

Comment

Working...
                              X