Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nationwide protest against Proposition 8 tomorrow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "traditional form of marriage" will still exist. Another form of marriage will also exist.
    They aren't separate institutions. The whole reason the gay community is pushing so hard for marriage instead of settling for civil unions is that they won't accept "separate but equal."

Comment

• Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut
      Marriage has traditionally been reserved for one man and one woman. If you allow homosexuals to marry each other, the traditional form of marriage has been replaced with something else.
      Why would this change be a bad thing?
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Why would it be a good thing? If you're going to ask people to change a venerable social institution, you should be able to come up with some good reasons for doing so. It seems like all you have is "We love each other!" and "You're a bigot if you don't!"

Comment

They aren't separate institutions. The whole reason the gay community is pushing so hard for marriage instead of settling for civil unions is that they won't accept "separate but equal."
          I didn't say they were separate. I said the form of marriage you are referencing as "traditional" will still exist. A man and woman will still be able to marry each other. That form will persist.

Comment

Why would it be a good thing? If you're going to ask people to change a venerable social institution, you should be able to come up with some good reasons for doing so. It seems like all you have is "We love each other!" and "You're a bigot if you don't!"
            Equal protection under law regardless of sexuality.

(My preferred "equal" being having government have nothing to do with "marriage". Take the legal aspects of it, put some mundane terms to describe them, and leave "marriage" up to the couple involved and their spiritual/community leaders to define for themselves.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Lancer
              So if you hate republicans you're a bigot. If you hate the KKK you're a bigot. If you hate the Nazis, you're a bigot. So we're all bigots in one way or another.
              If you want to go with that definition, it's ok with me. It's just a word. (Like "marriage"... should be.) The "value" (or lack thereof) of being a "bigot" would simply be in regards to the target and specific nature of the "bigotry". (Which it already is.)

I personally would reserve it for use in regards to subject matter that I feel deserves the negative connotation generally associated with it though.

Comment

• That form will persist.
                The form isn't the only defining characteristic of traditional marriage. The definition of marriage as between one man and one woman and the widespread social acceptance of that definition are just as important, if not more so. Both will be lost once homosexuals are allowed to marry.

Comment

• Reply to Aeson...

Right...you want to save it for the people you're bigoted against.

Aeson, as always you have a very rational opinion based on the facts.
                  Long time member @ Apolyton
                  Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

• Aeson is a pedant who usually can't see the forest for the trees.

Comment

• Eh...he sees marriage as on a road to another place because of the people's behavior in the marriages and the laws that tried to correct that behavior. I see it as a gift from God. Facts and faith. Sometimes you just gotta smile and enjoy your friends, and realize that it is us that are on the road.

Comment

The form isn't the only defining characteristic of traditional marriage. The definition of marriage as between one man and one woman and the widespread social acceptance of that definition are just as important, if not more so. Both will be lost once homosexuals are allowed to marry.
                        I am sorry (mostly towards your potential mate) if you are so weak willed that your (hypothetical) marriage would lose it's value due to 2 guys or 2 girls marrying each other.

I myself would not see any reason to modify my approach to my own (hypothetical) relationship.

Comment

• I am sorry (mostly towards your potential mate)
                          At least I'm going to be able to find one.

Comment

• What is it with this place and the personal stuff? I mean who gives a rats ass?

Comment

• Thanks Lancer. I look forward to being able to bet you a mango on those issues we do disagree on, and then we can go do something productive like build a boat or something.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lancer
                                What is it with this place and the personal stuff? I mean who gives a rats ass?
                                As you and I have a level of understanding about how to interact with each other, so too do NGR and I.

Comment

Working...
                                X